Thread: Thank goodness.........

Thank goodness.........

Pingo spent the day at the vet. She just hasn't been Pingo all weekend. She hasn't eaten since Thursday night. I did convince her to eat a bit of cheese on Saturday, but nothing else. She's a good little eater and usually the first one to grab her dinner. She always eats in her doghouse, but she always eats!

She didn't wooo when a loose dog came to fence; when my neighbor brought over some meat; when the other neighbor's little kids were flying kites on the road. That normally would have driven her nuts. She loves little ones and the kites would have to be woooooooofed at!

She loves being in the house and I had to coax her in every night all weekend. She slept on the floor. She claimed ownership of the couch five years ago. She hid in her doghouse all day. I even brought out some new tennis balls. Pingo has just enough border collie in her to make her mildly ball obsessed. Enough husky that she doesn't always get the bring it back part of fetch, but she always chases her tennis balls and runs the other dogs off if they try to steal them. Brand new tennis balls are the ultimate treat to Pingo and she didn't even lift her head when I threw them!

The clinic didn't have any appointments open today, but I'm thinking she needs some tests anyway. So I dropped her and spent the day trying not to freak out!

The vet called a little while ago. He's quite taken with Pingo. She is a sweetie. He said he has moved every joint in her body, poked and prodded her all over. The only problem he can find is some athritis in her hips, which I already knew was there. Possibly a back problem without neurological deficits, but that's hard to check for without doing x-rays. Her kid has spondylosis so I wouldn't be suprised if Pingo does too. No sign of a blockage or foreign object snack.

Her bloodwork shows an elevated white count and mild dehydration. She hasn't been drinking well and she gets very stressed at the vet and pants excessively. He said the dehydration isn't clinical yet. He thinks the elevated white count is either from a mild infection, likely in her intestional tract since she won't eat or it is a sign of inflammation. He suspects that all of Pingo's sypmtoms mean she's in pain, although she won't yelp or tell us where exactly! Dr. Kim said he never trusts a sled dog to tell him where it hurts.

She's going on a short course of amoxicillian to knock out any infection and starting tonight on a big dose of Metacam, tapering down in the next couple days. Kim says if he's right and it's pain, she should be acting much improved within 24 hours. He wants me to call tomorrow with an update. If she doesn't respond, then he'll do some more diagnositics(aka the really expensive stuff!).

I am so relieved!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Sending get well wishes to Pingo; paws and claws all crossed that the meds do the trick

Get better Pingo - Mom needs her sleep
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

You can always tell when they are "off" from their normal routines &
    it is worrisome. I sure hope the meds do the trick for Pingo & she starts
    to act more like her old self.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

<picks up Prayer Line> <dials God>

Hi God ~

Need summore help up inna YuKon - fur lil Pingo --- wunna Miz Tamara's sledders.
    Poor Kid's feelin poorley - but dint *tell* da White Coat nuffin aftur a whole day of Show & Tell.

She's gettin Meds ta fixzit - but dat's kinda hard when they can't find nuffin busted.
    Maybe You kan help her out wiff Feelin Better.

And a Big ole {{{God'sHug}}} for da Sled Dawg Momma would sure make HER feel a lot better!

We'll lite up da *Kandilz* an send You a Prayer tanite!
    THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Pingo didn't look too good in the photo the day of the fun run, but I'm glad to hear there's nothing major obviously wrong. We'll keep paws crossed & send sibe vibes that she responds well to the meds & is back to her usual sweet self soon.

Good thoughts going out for Pingo. I hope the meds help, and she is feeling like her old self soon.

Prayers for Pingo! Feel better soon sweet one.

Is she on pain meds for the arthritis?

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    Pingo didn't look too good in the photo the day of the fun run,
    It was Paxil who was ill that day--too many P names and both black and white females. I regularly call them by the other's name!

Pingo seems much better today. She got a dose of Metacam yesterday that was really for a dog at least twice her size. She got a regular dose this morning. She ate last night and was on the couch this morning. She walked after a tennis ball this afternoon. No running, but at least she was interested in her most favorite thing again!

I talked to her vet this afternoon. He's recommending a few more days of Metacam and then take her off. If she stiffens back up, then we'll know it's a pain issue and he'll give her a 'script for Metacam permanently. I already have three dogs who take it every day, what's one more!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving