Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do your cats meet you at the door?

Do your cats meet you at the door?

Do your cats know when you come home each day? Do they wait by the door for you if you're late? If they don't sit by the door, do they come and greet you?

Noah is always waiting by the door for me. If on some rare occasion my husband is home before I am, Noah is still there waiting for me. It's really funny. On the weekends or when I leave after coming home from work, they don't usually sit and wait for us, but will greet us when we return. Our own little welcoming committee!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

This is one of the things that I absolutely love about having kitties. Tubby is always waiting by the door for me, unless I'm unusually late. Then I get the old guilt trip knowing that he was there waiting and finally had to give up. Peanut may not wait right at the door, but she always comes running to greet me, and rubs her little chin on the corner and looks cute. I like it best when she's upstairs with her daddy right when I come home because then they both come running down the stairs (ok, so Terry doesn't run ) to greet me, with Tubby waiting right there. Everybody's always so happy to see me, it's such a nice way to come home after an icky day at work.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    Everybody's always so happy to see me, it's such a nice way to come home after an icky day at work.
    I agree completely!!

Yes my cats will usually be sitting near the door or come out to greet me when they know that it's me. When I used to feed them wet food twice a day Storm was always waiting for me at the door. Now Sunny is usually the first one to greet me. Sometimes Storm and Pepper are still napping back in my room but as soon as they hear my voice they come running out to greet me. It really does make you feel good to know that your animals have missed you doesn't it.

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    If they're home, than yes. They usually stumble down the stairs with their eyes still half closed from their nap.

Maya is ALWAYS waiting at the door !!!
    a loud "meow" welcomes me then , and after that , she urges me to follow her to her bowl in the kitchen , with this look:"another refill please mommy!!"

Well Duchess and Yum Yum meet us at the door when we come home at 5:30pm but it is not to greet us they want to go outside!:D
    "Happiness Is Owning A Human!"

Visit Dutchess & Yum Yum's Website Pleassee:

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

Originally posted by C.C.'s Mom
    If they're home, than yes. They usually stumble down the stairs with their eyes still half closed from their nap.
    That has to be one of the cutest "kittyisms"! I love when Noah walks out to greet me (after leaving and returning a few times) with those sleepy/half awake eyes!!! SOOOOO cute!!

Originally posted by C.C.'s Mom
    I love it when they do that. They come stumbling out, blinking their eyes and squinting as if to say, "Mom, you woke me up!!!"

Originally posted by lut
    a loud "meow" welcomes me then , and after that , she urges me to follow her to her bowl in the kitchen , with this look:"another refill please mommy!!"
    Yep, mine do that too, except they lead me to the kitchen for treats. "Yep, Mom's home, I get a treat now."
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

my Karamel greets me at the door when i come home though i don't know if he waits for me, or he just wakes up when i turn the key in the doorlock. But once, when my husband and me were waiting for the lift, we heard him meowing from our flat on 2nd floor (i guess he heard our voices). Also Karamel usually runs to the door when the doorbell rings regardless of the person who has come. If we come home after a day out ,we will usually see him at the door stretching and yawning a big yawn. Then he will look at us with his sleepy eyes and then roll on his back (i guess for us to rub his tummy).
    Last edited by ganime; 08-26-2002 at 08:31 AM.

I don't think they wait by the door, but they do come to the door when they hear the key in the lock. Some times the two babies, Gigi and Bixby will come to the door but sometimes they just look up from where they are sleeping when you come in, then get down and come see you. It's almost like they want to make sure it's who they want to see before they get up from their comfy spot. However, my biggest baby fraidy cat when I first got him, Scout, will always come to the door when he hears the key in the lock. I watched him do just that when Joey came over. Scout made a mad dash to the door to see who it was then went back to his spot on the sofa next to me. I thought it was cute. And, after a long day, there's nothing nicer than coming home to 3 welcoming kitties.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

Former User Guest
    Due to their behaviour, we have to lock C & K into the bathroom when we go out. Sometimes they wait right behind the bathroom door when we come and run out quickly, but most of the time they are half asleep in the sink/tub and I swear they are mad because we dared to disturb their sleep

nope, my gradmother has to hunt down her Kitty.

My cats usually wait at the front door for me, it's such a nice feeling to be greeted at the door. I can tell where they've been by how warm they are: if they warm all over, then I know they've been snoozing under the quilt in bed; if they're warm on one side, then they've been sleeping in their cat bed!

I resigned from my job yesterday and came home so depressed, happy, angry, sad, empty and everything else. Mini sensed it and jumped on the sofa, reached up to my shoulders and gave me a hug and headbutt. So sweet.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Both my cat and parakeet greeted me at the door today because my kids started school today and they know they can get all my attention while the kids are at school. It's also a lot quieter here without the kids so my cat can nap uninterrupted.
    On other days if I have been at work or we were all away for a day trip my cat greets us at the door to be let out or to ask for dinner!