Thread: My adopted dog did the unexpected!

My adopted dog did the unexpected!

Hi there! its been a long time since i've been here. Since that time Bug has gotten a BIG brother. He is a purebred weim adopted from Friends for Pets in LA. He has been the gentlest of animals. every now and then he lets you know "don't do that" all part of the learning about each other process. His history is unknown - but the scars and callouses are visible. When the FFP folks pulled him from the shelter in LA he had bad ears - they had been full of flies that were doing bad things to his ear flaps. He's healed now and has the softest ears and lets me touch and play with them.

So here's the unexpected... we went to the vet for the first time two days ago. the vet came in and he went over and greeted her, licked her chin and settled down right in front of her. When she went to use the stethascope on him he lashed out at her and snapped - coming darn close to her face as she was on the ground with him. i had him on lead with choke chain and pulled slightly - i was pretty taken aback too. she let him sniff the stethascope and talked to him and petted him so did i. (i also tightened my grip on lead) and low and behold he did it again when she went to listen to his chest. before this he had let her look at one of his ears. she went to look at the other after this (she was brave!) and he was having nothing of it. He would snap coming darned close to her arm and then settle right back down. She ended up having to take him in back to have the techs hold him. He did have an ear infection. She got it cleaned and gave me medicine to put in his ears. He let me do it once. but now is snapping at me too. and then he settles down and snuggles close as if to say "i'm sorry i snapped" Does anyone know of anyways i can break him of this? he's got to have the medicine but i'd like to keep my arm! i'm thinking of getting a muzzle for him, but it just seems like thats a band aid to the problem. Any ideas!???

His picture with bug is attached -

thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Perhaps he is in pain. Dogs may snap or growl when they are in pain.

Gorgeous pup! Congrats on the new addition.

Thats what i thought too. but that evening when we got home he let me rub his ear....he was getting into having his ear rubbed. and the first lash out was over the stethascope not his ear.... he is a lover dog until this i thought i had gotten lucky with this gentle giant.

I have had a couple of dogs with ongoing ear problems and it isn't any fun to treat. Maybe after the vet cleaned his ears they are really irritated and will feel better after some time passes. I just had to leave my dogs ears alone for a couple of days till they were not so inflamed. My aunts dog cried and cried when he had his ear drops put in - finally found out he was allergic to the drops and it was raw inside his ear!
    My vet also had me use oral benadryl to help with the allergy ect. You might want to check with your vet again and see if you can give him something to help. I don't like to medicate my dog unless needed but it can be very tramatic to get the ears cleaned (they have even had to put my dog under to get the ears cleaned) if you have ever had a ear ache you know what I mean! And you need to have a way to get the ears done without the dog being in such fear it may bite.

Such pretty dogs. If that is unusual behavior then I don't know what to say. I guess that you'll always have to be onguard for that.

congrats on your new addition. We got a full Weim too from a shelter. His name is Max. I would think that the stethascope may remind him of something that was used to beat him or something like that. I'm sorry he had to go through whatever he did.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Originally posted by mugsy
    I would think that the stethascope may remind him of something that was used to beat him or something like that. I'm sorry he had to go through whatever he did.
    That was the first thing I thought of too, Mugsy. Especially if he's never been aggressive to the vet or anyone before. Chances are it reminds him of a chain or strap he was beaten with. He feels he needs to protect himself. Hope the sweetie gets along ok.

I think you're onto something there, MOFF. It sounds like something regarding the vets', the smells, noises, flashbacks to unpleasant memories of painful experiences, harsh discipline etc., is triggering this response. Did they do any temperament testing at the shelter? Usually it is required. I would be a bit on guard when introducing him to new people and places until you can narrow down the situations that bring about this reaction. I'm sure he's having a huge adjustment right now. I'd make sure he's smothered with tons of positive re-enforcement, praise and rewards for positive responses and behaviors. He sure is a beauty!! I wish you the best of luck with your new addition!! Hang in there!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Yes, you're dogs are adorable! Hope you have good luck finding out what sets your new addition off and getting him used to living in a great home which I'm sure you will provide.

My teddy bear of a dog, Jake, actually let out a rumbling growl at the vet, when she was examining his infected ears. This is very very unusual for Jake, but he was obviously in pain. I'm sure that the fact that your dog was not treated well by humans, before you adopted him, makes the matter worse. The past abuse, as you know, makes him very fearful of things that other dogs would not think twice about. As stated by others, I'm sure the vets tools reminded him of past mis-treatment.

Despite an abusive past, this type of behavior is unexceptable. You should talk to an animal behaviorist.

In addition to this, you may want to borrow or buy a second hand stethascope. Just leave it on the floor for your dog to sniff and get used to (just make sure he doesn't eat it). When he gets used to it (days/weeks later), you may want to put it in your hands for him to sniff. Eventually, practice using it on him. Include lots of yummy treats and soothing talk. I would also suggest practicing exams on your dog. Play with his feet, look in his mouth and ears (once the pain is gone), press gently on his belly. The dog will get used to this sort of touch and begin to fear it less. He trusts you more than anyone, and if you do it, he will more likely let the vet do it.

My dog has some different behavior problems, due to a less than happy past. I was recently told by a dog trainer that my rescue dog, Addie, shows strong signs of being overly protective of me. Addie has never attempted to bite, snap, or even growl at anyone, even the vet. I would have never imagined her being less than the perfect baby I know her as. Through training we are working to relieve some of Addie's fears and anxiety (things that can lead to biting). In just a couple of weeks, I can already see her self esteem increasing.

Good luck with the new pupper, I'm sure he'll be a wonderful companion.

I am new here and I agree with pupper lover, get the dog gradually used to any objects that he may have trouble with. Also I would bring him to the vets as often as possible for no treatment just walk around and sit there to get him used to it, maybe weigh him and walk in and out of exam rooms, it will also show him that it is not bad everytime he goes there. Make sure you bring plenty of treats and give lots of praise when he behaves correctly. Your vet should be more than happy to allow you to do so. But I would call first to see when the best time to do it would be so the exam rooms will be empty! I do not mean to be rude as I love weim's and used to have one but for some reason we see a lot of well natured weims at the vet office I work for become fearful/aggressive towards the staff there. Maybe there is a bred in thing that tells them we are bad LOL!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I'm trying the stethascope thing for certain.. I have been bringing him in there every once in awhile since i adopted to know them and to step on the scale (he has a weight problem!) thats one of the reasons this was sooo surprising was that he knew everyone already.But i will continue to bring him in there and work with him and get him over this. next month we start training - we were going to this month but when it rains it pours and my life just couldn't handle one more piece of pie so we continue doing the training at home...i just do better with an instructor! he is such a big baby.... now he doesn't want his ear medicine. either- which i don't blame him but too bad he's gotta have it! : )

thanks so much for the advice. i wish i knew what happened to this poor baby before had and yet i'm probably glad i don't know!

I'm with you, I, most of the time, don't WANT to know. I would probably do something nasty to the person who abused the poor thing. I feel sorry for your little guy. Abusive people don't deserve any better than what they did to the animal that they harmed...in fact, they deserve worse.

I'm sure everything will work out with him...I have faith...Weims are incredibly forgiving.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!