Thread: scared of cooking!!

scared of cooking!!

This always gives my Mom and I a chuckle.... Our 9-year-old cat 'Nipo' has developed a great fear of our family cooking practices! As soon as someone switches on the oven or toaster oven, begins chopping up veggies or cutting bread she gets in a frenzy! She wasn't always like this, my Mother and I assume she developed her fear when my Mom burned toast resulting in lots of smoke and the smoke detector going off. So tonight as I put some potato wedges in the oven for home-baked fries (yum yum ) Miss Nipo got her wide-eyed look and just zipped off into one of the bedrooms. We don't normally let her into the bedrooms as my Father and I are allergic, but regarding her 'traumatization' we make an exception. Well, wouldn't you! Poor baby

Are your cats afraid of your cooking also? Or do they come running for a treat?

My cats own the kitchen bench, or so they think They tend to keep away during preparation time, but the sound of the microwave ting makes them run to the kitchen (we usually heat their food to 'mouse temperature' as my vet calls it, so the sound of the magic heater box will attract them from any corner of the house!)
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

My cats aren't afraid of the kitchen either. They always think that I'm fixing food for them. Sunny and Storm like to watch the food in the microwave rotate around. They eat only dry food so I don't know why they think that this other food could be for them. I guess it's wishful thinking.

The kitchen is Piglet's favourite place to be, because there's always a chance that someone might drop something!!
    The rest of the time she is the most lazy cat I know, but her kitchen reflexes are trained to perfection and she will snap up every bit of food (except fruit and veg) before you even notice you dropped it.

The kitchen is Maya's favorite place to be too !!Everytime when I am busy in the kitchen , for preparing food , cleaning up the dishes , making mayonnaise , she comes along and jumps on her part of tha kitchen kabinet . There she watches me and closes an eye(or two)once in a while ..!She even follows me to the bathroom or toilet and demands to sit on my lab .... !

Originally posted by Piglet
    The kitchen is Piglet's favourite place to be, because there's always a chance that someone might drop something!!
    The rest of the time she is the most lazy cat I know, but her kitchen reflexes are trained to perfection and she will snap up every bit of food (except fruit and veg) before you even notice you dropped it.
    Sounds exactly like Tubby. Peanut is a little more lady like and will sit at the edges of the kitchen - waiting for that lively morsel to be tossed her way (her daddy spoils her so bad).
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

My girlfriends cat LOVES to watch people cook. I went over to cook one day and her cat kept watching me, so I brought over a stool and put it in the center of the kitchen. Now everytime anyone cooks in there she sits on the stool and watches.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

All my kitties appear in the kitchen within seconds of a human being heard there. Lucy can hear the fridge being opened wherever she might be in the house- even if it's the middle and one of us is just getting a glass of water. Ozzie usually appears right away also and tries to climb right INTO the fridge. Jake follows soon after, but being older and more "dignified" he will patiently sit a distance away, wait and watch..from experience, he knows that he will usually get a treat without trying to trip me in the process!

that's funny. My grandmother's cat likes to eat in the kitchen, she will eat no where else.

My Campino loves the kitchen, he is not allowed on the counters but will stretch as much as he can to see what you are doing. He never wants to eat what you have just look at what you are diong. I have stepped on him a couple of times int he kitchen cause he will stay really close to me and if I move without looking there he is underfoot, poor kitty, but he doesn't learn

Campino, what a neat name!