Now that was interesting - especially for a one-time Neuro ICU nurse who very recently had a craniotomy.

There was just a press conference at University of Arizona. The main speakers were Dr. Peter Rhee, Medical Director of the Trauma Center, and Dr. Michael Lemole, Neurosurgeon.

Of the patients they received yesterday, one has been discharged and only one is still in ICU; the rest have improved enough to be transferred to floor care.

Congresswoman Giffords went to the OR just 38 minutes after hitting the ER door. The bullet ran the entire length of the left side of her head, from front to back. It did not cross hemispheres, nor did it cross the center of the brain. Both of the scenarios would have been much worse. She was following simple commands before and after the surgery. As the Neurosurgeon said, don't be deceived by the word simple. The brain has to process a lot to follow a command. That she can do this, makes them feel optimistic.

They did not put back the bone flap - that allows for swelling to occur. At some point in the future the flap will be replaced. I can tell you that my flap was the size of my surgeon's hand - that gives you an idea of the area. Hers might be larger.

She is in a medically-induced coma for the time being. Like being under anesthesia - they can wake her up to check neuro status.

So far - so good.