Thread: Politics and religion.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Excuse me for putting a child up as more important then a Democrat politician.
    Blue, I wonder if, in the media's case, it is that they have information on the public figures - the politicians, but don't have much info on the child, and the family may not want that info released, so they can process and mourn privately. As private citizens, we should afford them that right, as politicians, that's part of being a "public servant" - lack of privacy.
    I've Been Frosted

What's that phrase - words have consequences? Actions do, also. And postings on Facebook.

During the fall campaign season, a former Governor had a post on Facebook. A map was shown, depicting spots where Democrats (in particular, those who had voted for health care reform) were running for re-election; those Democrats were noted by crosshairs symbols like those seen through the scope of a gun. Ms. Giffords was among those on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Blue, I wonder if, in the media's case, it is that they have information on the public figures - the politicians, but don't have much info on the child, and the family may not want that info released, so they can process and mourn privately. As private citizens, we should afford them that right, as politicians, that's part of being a "public servant" - lack of privacy.
    The media made the case that a Democrat politicians, or a left leaning judges, life is more important then a childs life.

What I find tragic is that others follow along with the MSM's judgment of whose life is more meaningful. The life of a child, or the life of a Democratic politician or judge. The fact that the media and the sheeples view that the politicians life was more news worthy is sickening.

Roof top voting has started.
    Last edited by blue; 01-09-2011 at 01:07 AM.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Roof top voting has started.
    Lets find out what this morons real motivation was before we say stupid things like this, ok?

Blue, the 'voting from the rooftops' thing is INSANE. Killing a civilian who posed no threat to you is MURDER. Period.

So stop it, OK?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Last year, after her district turned up under crosshairs on Sarah Palin's "Take Back the 20" map, a chart of congressional districts whose congresspeople voted for health care reform, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords gave an interview to MSNBC. Today, sadly, her words from that interview are terrifyingly prescient:

We need to realize that the rhetoric, and the firing people up and ... for example, we're on Sarah Palin's targeted list, but the thing is, the way she has it depicted, we're in the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district. When people do that, they've got to realize that there are consequences to that action...
    source

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Super. Now you can start the "Its all Palin's fault" and maybe leave ol' George alone.

Really? This is what we are coming to in this country?

Signed,
    "The Enemy"

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    Super. Now you can start the "Its all Palin's fault" and maybe leave ol' George alone.
    I never said anything of the sort, and you know it. I posted an article and then a quote. I provided the links. If you choose to attribute the thoughts in these articles to me, or anyone else on this board, you are way out of line.

The victims in Tucson

20 people were shot; 6 have died.

Gabe Zimmerman, 30, Giffords community outreach director. He was recently engaged.

John Roll, 63, the chief judge for the District of Arizona,

Christina Taylor Green,9. Here is an article about her from the Washington Post.

Dorwin Stoddard, 76.

Dorthy Murray, 76.

Phyllis Scheck, 79.

Lets find out what this morons real motivation was before we say stupid things like this, ok?

Blue, the 'voting from the rooftops' thing is INSANE. Killing a civilian who posed no threat to you is MURDER. Period.

So stop it, OK?

Agreed.

WE are ALL for free speeech in this country, that's part of what makes
    this country great. The choice of words is important & does have major
    influence on the already fragile state of mind of some individuals in our
    society. We could do without the "lock & load" mentality speech coming
    from some quarters of the political community.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Agreed.

WE are ALL for free speeech in this country, that's part of what makes
    this country great. The choice of words is important & does have major
    society. We could do without the "lock & load" mentality speech coming
    from some quarters of the political community.
    So, which is it? FREE speech or being careful to not 'have major
    society'?

I say this because "voting from the rooftops" is NOT a concept that is vague. Implying that a political figure's map was motivation for a murder.... Thats a little different.

And.... I am ALL for keeping the debate to the issues at hand.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Now that was interesting - especially for a one-time Neuro ICU nurse who very recently had a craniotomy.

There was just a press conference at University of Arizona. The main speakers were Dr. Peter Rhee, Medical Director of the Trauma Center, and Dr. Michael Lemole, Neurosurgeon.

Of the patients they received yesterday, one has been discharged and only one is still in ICU; the rest have improved enough to be transferred to floor care.

Congresswoman Giffords went to the OR just 38 minutes after hitting the ER door. The bullet ran the entire length of the left side of her head, from front to back. It did not cross hemispheres, nor did it cross the center of the brain. Both of the scenarios would have been much worse. She was following simple commands before and after the surgery. As the Neurosurgeon said, don't be deceived by the word simple. The brain has to process a lot to follow a command. That she can do this, makes them feel optimistic.

They did not put back the bone flap - that allows for swelling to occur. At some point in the future the flap will be replaced. I can tell you that my flap was the size of my surgeon's hand - that gives you an idea of the area. Hers might be larger.

She is in a medically-induced coma for the time being. Like being under anesthesia - they can wake her up to check neuro status.

So far - so good.

So stop it, OK?
    I would be beyond happy to be wrong.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    What's that phrase - words have consequences? Actions do, also. And postings on Facebook.

During the fall campaign season, a former Governor had a post on Facebook. A map was shown, depicting spots where Democrats (in particular, those who had voted for health care reform) were running for re-election; those Democrats were noted by crosshairs symbols like those seen through the scope of a gun. Ms. Giffords was among those on the map.
    I expected this to come out, but not from you.

I don't want to put words in your mouth.... But this post makes me feel that you would be OK 'banning' speech of this sort.

Will we ever get past living our lives in fear of the lowest common denominator? There will ALWAYS be crazy people who do crazy things. Why should we inhibit our Liberty to keep ourselves "safe" from the crazy people? I mean, look at FOX/HUFFPO/MEDIA MATTERS/etc. The same insane aruguments come out every time something like this happens.

----

Armored rubber suits for all! Pre-programmed TV of ONE channel, with 'safe' content! All internet posts must pre 'approved' before posting. Organic, free range, carbon neutral tofu for all and nothing else.

Sorry, just trying to stay with the media's theme for today.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War