Thread: Politics and religion.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    As for down sides, well no system is perfect, so we do get the hiccup now and again, but overall it works very well for everyone, and almost everyone is happy with it. Oh, you always get the people who don't agree with the system, but some people don't agree with anything....right??

As to why this system is so contentious in the US, then I'd have to agree with LH on that. We have a very strong economy here, and the government does keep the system going by injecting funds from revenues into it. So I suppose when your economy gets back on it's feet, then there will be less against and more FOR that kind of system.
    I do hope you all get it there eventually...I think good health services should be available to all regardless of their situation money wise.
    Okay, right, the debt problem means it is not going to happen overnight here, to say the least.

But why do so many "conservatives" believe that national health care is EVIL, period.. not good to let happen ever. "SOCIALIZED MEDICINE!" "DEATH PANELS!" "The Government will decide who lives and who dies!" (rather than the insurance companies, as happens now).

And how did you Australians, Brits, Canadians, others with national health care systems get the resources together to start your systems?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Okay, right, the debt problem means it is not going to happen overnight here, to say the least.

But why do so many "conservatives" believe that national health care is EVIL, period.. not good to let happen ever. "SOCIALIZED MEDICINE!" "DEATH PANELS!" "The Government will decide who lives and who dies!" (rather than the insurance companies, as happens now).

And how did you Australians, Brits, Canadians, others with national health care systems get the resources together to start your systems?
    We have a Medicare levy. The rate of the Medicare levy is 1.5% of taxable income. In some cases, you may be exempt from the medicare levy or eligible for a reduction based on family income.
    Low income earners who make less than a certain amount are exempt.
    High income earners pay a surcharge in addition to the 1.5% of their taxable income (this is so that the wealthy can't take advantage of the public system, they have a choice, pay the surcharge or get private health insurance.)

"I'm Back !!"