Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
I was there too. Do you know the marginal tax rate for the highest earners was over 90% compared to 35% today. Capital gains tax was 25% compared to 15% today.

You mention minorities but what about women? It was legal - and very common to pay women less than men for the same job. And of course, women were not hired in many jobs. The only job Sandra Day O'Connor could get as a top graduate from Stanford Law School was as a legal secretary. Teachers had to leave the classroom when their pregnancy began to show and flight attendants had to be young, skinny and single - or they lost their job. Even when I was out of college - the newspapers advertised "help wanted - male" and "help wanted - female."

Polio was just beginning to be eliminated. I was six when the vaccine first came out. Just think of the medical advances since then!

It is easy to remember the good times when you look back - but there are many, many things that are better today!
When i started teaching, some of those teachers that "broke ground" were still teaching. They were allowed to continue teaching because a suitable replacement couldn't be found.

A good friend was a geologist that couldn't find a job except with the gov't. The signs on the doors said "women need not apply". This was the early 60s.