Thread: Politics and religion.

Hybrid View

If Gov Palin was a liberal, Letterman would have been tarred feathered and hanged allready. But Letterman wouldnt make a joke about a liberals children.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    If Gov Palin was a liberal, Letterman would have been tarred feathered and hanged allready. But Letterman wouldnt make a joke about a liberals children.
    I seem to recall Rush Limbaugh making some very cruel comments about Chelsea Clinton. He hasn't been tarred feathered and hanged. And he certainly has never apologized.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    I seem to recall Rush Limbaugh making some very cruel comments about Chelsea Clinton. He hasn't been tarred feathered and hanged. And he certainly has never apologized.

Yes, and there was the Jay Leno joke about her daughter during last
    years election run up.

"Alan Colmes (former co-host of Fox News' Hannity & Colmes) makes a great a catch regarding the current feud between David Letterman and Governor Sarah Palin. While Palin has been blasting Letterman all over the airwaves for joking about Yankees star Alex Rodriguez "knocking up" her daughter, Jay Leno told an extremely similar joke during the presidential campaign that resulted in no such uproar:

Gov. Palin announced over the weekend that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter is five months pregnant. And you thought John Edwards was in trouble before! Now he has really done it. -- "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno," 9/2/08
    Is there a double standard being applied to Letterman?

When has Limbaugh not been tarred and feathered in the press? No I am not deffending him, only stating what is.

Limbaugh at least had an excuse, he still should have made a public appology for his employee.

phesina, I can only surmise you are refering to RLs TV show with Socks the cat, at least Limbaugh had an out, Im not saying its right but he had an out. If you can quote Limbaugh or post video with other "cruel comments" on Chelsea Ild be glad to see them.

No double standard.

Leno at least made a joke about Bristol, a girl of legal age of consent, not only in Alaska but most of the United States, and already pregnant. Humorus yes, bad taste definently.

Letterman made a joke of a 14 year old getting knocked up, age of consent in only 2 states and New York not being one of them. Humorus, no. Bad taste, most definently. My sick sense of humor only goes so far.
    Last edited by blue; 06-16-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Had to fix a double negative.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post

Limbaugh at least had an excuse, he still should have made a public appology for his employee.

phesina, I can only surmise you are refering to RLs TV show with Socks the cat, at least Limbaugh had an out, Im not saying its right but he had an out. If you can quote Limbaugh or post video with other "cruel comments" on Chelsea Ild be glad to see them.
    blue, I posted about this once previously on this site - perhaps it was before you joined up. Way back when Rush had his TV show, we were fans. We watched every day - and if we were not home, we taped and watched later. I DID hear and see him when he asked - "Did you know there's a White House dog?" - and then held up a picture of Chelsea Clinton.

No, I don't have a link to any video - You Tube wasn't around back then. So I fully expect that you won't believe me.

David Letterman was wrong last week. He has apologized -
    Sarah Palin has accepted the apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Ivins
    On his TV show, early in the Clinton administration, Limbaugh put up a picture of Socks, the White House cat, and asked, "Did you know there's a White House dog?" Then he put up a picture of Chelsea Clinton, who was 13 years old at the time and as far as I know had never done any harm to anyone.
    From 1995, MotherJones.com.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Jerry Buss, the owner of the World Champion Los Angeles Lakers has promised to send 50,000 team pennants to the citizens of Tehran to keep the election riots on a happy note.

"The citizens of Los Angeles were able to unite in their support of the Lakers after the team won it's 15th world championship. I think that the rioters in Iran should devote more of post election celebration angst to something fun like sports-not stupid politics. I mean how many times have you seen a mullah pull off a behind-the-back pass followed by a monster slam dunk?"
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    blue, I posted about this once previously on this site - perhaps it was before you joined up. Way back when Rush had his TV show, we were fans. We watched every day - and if we were not home, we taped and watched later. I DID hear and see him when he asked - "Did you know there's a White House dog?" - and then held up a picture of Chelsea Clinton.

No, I don't have a link to any video - You Tube wasn't around back then. So I fully expect that you won't believe me.

David Letterman was wrong last week. He has apologized -
    Sarah Palin has accepted the apology.

I believe you, who cares if he doesn't. I think Letterman apologized
    again because his Mom asked him to do it.His Mom is a sweetie.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    I believe you, who cares if he doesn't. I think Letterman apologized
    Well!

My mom told me her "rule for truth" - she got it from John Wayne!

Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness......

So now, I only lie when I know it's the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    I believe you, who cares if he doesn't.
    Since you seemed to have missed it...

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Ivins
    On his TV show, early in the Clinton administration, Limbaugh put up a picture of Socks, the White House cat, and asked, "Did you know there's a White House dog?" Then he put up a picture of Chelsea Clinton, who was 13 years old at the time and as far as I know had never done any harm to anyone.
    He claimed one of his techs put the pic of CC up, besides if RL is on screen how would he be controlling the boards? I even stated in this thread RL should have apologized.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    I think Letterman apologized
    After a week of negative press, that makes for a real genuine apology. Im sure his mom was appalled her son would make such a joke about a 14 year old girl.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Joking about how ugly, stupid, pregnant any politico's kids is one thing.

But to say that SP's daughter (the 14 year old one THAT WAS AT THE GAME) was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez is a pretty low thing to even joke about.

DL is moron, Um, doesn't he have an illegitimate spawn himself? I wonder what he would think is JL made a joke about his kid getting molested? I haven't heard anyone joke about BO's kids? What about them? Cheney's daughter is gay, let's start there?

Yep, SP has paraded her kids out in the media. Do I really care about the whiny kids that make their dad get a dog if he wins the presidency?

Please, stop it......

DL is a loser and a bitter AH, his 'apology' is just another 'neck saving' measure--- Don Imus got nailed for repeating a description one of his co-workers made about an a woman's B-Ball team. Oh, that was racist and a slam against women.

I guess young women who are just regular little girls don't count or need to be protected from any kind of stupidity-especially from some old comedian that has a first amendment right?

Jay Leno is no better and it shows in his attempts at humor.
    But, his joke was about a 17 year old who was already pregnant-not a 14 year old who was at the park with her mother. It is also an insult to women who do take their kids out to sporting events, Would anyone be insulted if their parenting skills were made fun of?

I'd be more upset about A-Rod touching my kids, I hate the Yankees!

-----------------

I stand corrected about the post of the local woman who welcomed the Euighers in Bermuda, that was a news reporter from a cable outlet.

----------

Hey, hey!

No hanging chads in Iran, Just shooting protestors!

Settle down RICHARD, even Sadam got 99% of the vote in a legitamate election.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.