Yesterday I was listening to one of my favorite news/comedy radio programs, Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.

The host and guests were talking about a woman who was able to keep her teen son from going to the Middle East and joining a terrorist group/movement.

Apparently the son asked his mother for his passport. The mother asked "why do you want it?" and then -thru that wonderful ability that women possess - deduced that her son was going to do something stupid, like join a terrorist group.

Chalk one up for parents?

-----------

I was walking the dog and listening to the show and began to laugh.

I thought of MY MOM and how she would have reacted if I had wanted my passport to join some stupid cause?

She would have gladly given me my the paperwork with the sage wisdom that she dispensed when I (or my sibs) wanted to participate in any sketchy endeavor?

"You want to join them? Go ahead, here is your passport....And if you get into trouble DON'T CALL ME, call your friends or someone else that will help you or get you out of trouble......."

When I was younger, my mom's stance on any tomfoolery, confused me.

SHE WANTED me to go out and get into trouble, she also washed her hands of me and my behavior....

I thought, "What is the matter with her?" And as I 'matured' (I still am a stupid child at times) I realized that she did care.

She wanted me to know that my vision/perception of 'maturity' came with a steep price if I refused to see the long term ramifications of my actions. She loved me, but hated my moron-itude.

Even as an adult, I often consulted with her about things in my life. Should I buy this - GF, work problems, Did you watch the game last night or can I swing by with/for dinner? Often, I knew the answer to the question, but I found some comfort in hearing myself talk and her input.

Later on, I realized that my going to her probably made her feel like she raised at least one kid who thought before they acted? Was it a good thing?

Anyway........she encouraged me to be stupid - reverse psychology? - to jump off the bridge with my friends, but NOT TO BOTHER HER WITH THE RESULTS.

A very effective strategy.

As the segment on the radio closed, the panel joked about sending some mothers to the Middle East - that would stop most of the idiots from joining a terrorist group/movement.

And then I really started to laugh.

I pictured my mom at the back of a cargo plane, parachute on her back, jumping out to join the other mothers fighting terrorism in the area.

What would I say to her?

"Go ahead, get on an airplane and jump out with a parachute on your back, And if something goes wrong? Don't call me, call your friends to help you out?......"