Thread: Politics and religion.

Hybrid View

The State of Arizona has very lenient laws regarding involuntary commitment.

Arizona has one of the least restrictive laws when it comes to detaining apparently mentally ill people against their will. Under the state's broad involuntary-commitment statute, the government can mandate in-patient treatment for anyone determined to be "persistently or acutely disabled." That could include a broad range of seemingly troubled individuals. By comparison, many other states limit involuntary commitment only to people shown to be a danger to themselves or others, or who are found to be completely unable to take care of themselves.
    Arizona also goes farther than many other states in defining who may initiate involuntary-commitment proceedings. In Arizona, virtually anyone who had suspected that Loughner had mental problems and needed help could have filed an application to a state-licensed healthcare agency for a court-ordered evaluation. Some states require that the application be initiated by someone close to the troubled person, among other discrete categories.
    source

But it is not that easy...

...some years ago, when I was working downtown Chicago, we had an employee who clearly was...well nuts. He complained of little German men who were following him around and some other strange things. I am not sure of whether he was "Righty" or "Lefty" but he did name the Klu Klux Klan and the American Nazi party - along with every employer he ever had and some others in his "pro se" lawsuit about conspiracies.

I worked with our attorney and his parents to get him involuntarily committed. It is not easy (nor should it be or everyone would be getting their ex-spouses or annoying neighbor or the like committed.)

It costs money to do it. And it is frightening. During the process there were a couple of occasions I was very nervous - as the company representative.

At that time, in Illinois, an involuntary commitment was only good for seven days. Which means - he was back out a week later. And I was again a little nervous.

So..it is easy to say "someone" should have had him committed - much, much more difficult to be that "someone."

My kook is bigger than YOUR kook.

I walked around the corner at work and saw a reserve cop that worked with us, painting faces on her hollow point .32 ammo.

I don't fear guns, it's the morons than own them, that I fear.

-------

If I do get shot by some knucklehead, I pray he and takes me down.

None of this, 15 months in the hospital and 5 years of therapy to learn to walk again nonsense.

The treatment is worse than getting shot.

No, listening to "opinion/news" shows is.