Thread: Politics and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post

He really is making himself look rediculous going on & on about this. His
    pride is undoubtably hurt big time because he was all but certain to win
    (all the polls predicted it) until Lisa Murkowski supporters rampted up the
    write in campaign & pulled ahead in the last months of the election.

I tend to pull for the underdog and she sure fit that description in this
    contest.She was written off by her own Party, but the people she represents
    spoke up loud & clear & supported her return to Congress. I like that.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=sparks19;2319943]
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post

well considering the Von Bonny comment followed by the rich letting her have bread crusts it wasn't really a big leap for me to connect them

if that wasn't what you were saying then I'm sorry
    Wom was joking with me. I don't mind.

Your right about those credit cards people buy stuff but don't think about how they are going to pay them off & the out of this world interest charged to them if they don't pay up. Then there was the big housing boom that went bang, buying something with an interest rate out of this world once again & keeping up with the Jones up the street.

I don't like the government running my life either. Politicans make promises & don't keep them. People are suckers for their promises.

The waste in this country is unbelievable. They use to make stuff to last a long time.

The rich are getting richer & don't care about the poor. They are to busy being greedy.

I think we are all on the same page but view it differently maybe because of age, experience, education? I look at it as a learning experience how other people view life.

I would prefer to have some marmalade jam on my bread crusts & milk please.

[QUOTE=Puckstop31;2319907 I think the West defines poverty poorly. How can you be poor AND fat? Poor and 2 cars? Poor and a fridge full of beer? Poor and have 22's on your BMW? Poor and 3 cartons of smokes? Are there truly poor people in ther West? Of course. But there are way more on the system who DON'T need it. BUT, because they get to vote for more.....

I've served in some crappy places and seen what poverty really is.

---

[/QUOTE]

Actually you can be poor and fat. The poor people of the country can't afford the healthy food. They eat lots of things like macarroni that sells for a dollar a box at Walmart or Dollar General Stores.

There are people who are truly poor in the US. Just find a few homeless people getting meals out of trash cans and ask them.

I am living 130% below the poverty level in our country. Now I know I'm tons better off than people eating dirt in third world countries. But I would be homeless too if my brother hadn't bought the house I now live in. My car died 4 years ago. It would cost too much to fix it and I have no money for a different one. I take the senior bus which only runs 3 days a week. That is my sole means of transportation. Try dragging groceries home on that sometime when your joints hurt so much you can hardly move.

I wouldn't have a computer either if my brother hadn't bought mine for me. He is such a blessing to me. I thank God for him every day by the way.

Congress is now trying to push a bill through that is full of Billions of dollars of ear marks but they can't give people on disability a tiny cost of living raise. Ok, I get it. They want me to hurry up and die and get out of their way. I don't plan on doing that any time soon though. I grew up raised by parents who lived through the depression. I know 101 ways to fix noodles.
    Last edited by momoffuzzyfaces; 12-14-2010 at 04:50 PM.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

The part of Alaska Election law that is in question.

(11) A vote for a write-in candidate, other than a write-in vote for governor and lieutenant governor, shall be counted if the oval is filled in for that candidate and if the name, as it appears on the write-in declaration of candidacy, of the candidate or the last name of the candidate is written in the space provided.
    According to 3 former state legislatures, who helped write and enact the law, interviewed on local radio. If the name written in on the ballot does not exactly match the name as it was written on the candidates declaration to run a write in campaign, that vote is considered invalid.

To used this election as an example. If the name on the declaration to run a write in campaign is Lisa Murkowski, and the name written in on the ballot is Murcowsky the ballot should be ruled invalid.

Another problem with this election are the allegations of voter fraud and electioneering in the Villages. Reports of dozens of ballots with Murkowski's name all written in the same handwriting from several villages. Allegations of people entering the voting booths to "aid" people in voting to ensure that Murkowski's name is spelled correctly.

It seems some think that is more important for the Underdog to win then the law be followed.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    Actually you can be poor and fat. The poor people of the country can't afford the healthy food. They eat lots of things like macarroni that sells for a dollar a box at Walmart or Dollar General Stores.

There are people who are truly poor in the US. Just find a few homeless people getting meals out of trash cans and ask them.

I am living 130% below the poverty level in our country. Now I know I'm tons better off than people eating dirt in third world countries. But I would be homeless too if my brother hadn't bought the house I now live in. My car died 4 years ago. It would cost too much to fix it and I have no money for a different one. I take the senior bus which only runs 3 days a week. That is my sole means of transportation. Try dragging groceries home on that sometime when your joints hurt so much you can hardly move.

I wouldn't have a computer either if my brother hadn't bought mine for me. He is such a blessing to me. I thank God for him every day by the way.

Congress is now trying to push a bill through that is full of Billions of dollars of ear marks but they can't give people on disability a tiny cost of living raise. Ok, I get it. They want me to hurry up and die and get out of their way. I don't plan on doing that any time soon though. I grew up raised by parents who lived through the depression. I know 101 ways to fix noodles.
    I am sorry to hear that you have such a tough situation. It truly breaks my heart to read this. If only the 'system' could be made to help the people who REALLY need it.

Do you go to a church? I ask because our's has a system of volunteers who spend time transporting our elderly who cannot do so for themselves.

As for the Omnibus bill.... Well, it shows you where their heart really is I guess.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    I am sorry to hear that you have such a tough situation. It truly breaks my heart to read this. If only the 'system' could be made to help the people who REALLY need it.

Do you go to a church? I ask because our's has a system of volunteers who spend time transporting our elderly who cannot do so for themselves.

As for the Omnibus bill.... Well, it shows you where their heart really is I guess.
    I don't go to church any more. I can't stand to sit on those hard pews. I stiffen up and can't walk if I do. I don't even know anyone who goes any more.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    The part of Alaska Election law that is in question.
    It seems some think that is more important for the Underdog to win then the law be followed.
    It seems to me tho blue, that the law is a bit silly.
    For instance, if some poor old bloke can't spell right, or can't spell at all, and puts something in there that indicates plain as sunshine his intent, then is it fair that his vote be invalid ????
    Is the right to have ones vote counted only dependant on ones ability to spell correctly ???
    Hey, my surname is Browne.
    If I was running for office against Jones, how many votes would be cast with Brown in the box ????
    Do you think it fair that I should lose that election should those voters not put the "E" at the end of my name ????
    I think the judge has shown a lot of commonsense in his ruling. And it's about time that judges should rule those silly laws as inappropriate.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    I would prefer to have some marmalade jam on my bread crusts & milk please.
    What ??? That's it !!!! It's the Gulag for you young lady.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    I do not support just shutting off the switch in one day. It took generations to create this mess, it will take at least one to turn it around. And by 'switch' I mean public welfare. There is a place for public welfare I suppose, but it needs to be a scale WAY, WAY smaller than it is now.

<Here is the part where I really piss some people off.>

Taking public support needs to be HARDER. Public support needs to suck so bad that the people will do anything to get off of it. I hear stories all the time of people being offered jobs, but refuse to take them because their unemployment compensation is 'easier'. The support system needs to be something that is rare, awful and most of all TEMPORARY. NOT a generational thing....

I know it sounds mean. Its harsh. BUT, it is the BEST thing for them. The goal of public support systems should be getting people back to self sufficency as soon as possible. That is not the way it works..... Because those people on the dole, still get to vote themselves more.
    Trouble is tho, who is going to sort out who really needs public support and who doesn't ???
    The aged, the disabled, the sick and infirm, the unemployable, newly arrived immigrants, the freeloaders, the fraudsters, war veterans who are completely nuts (like me) , umarried mothers...etc etc ??? Who will sort them out, and determine who is eligible for welfare, and how much welfare they are to receive ???
    Who will draw the line ???? Maybe I should rephrase that question....Who will draw the line and have no chance of ever being re-elected ???

I think we in the western world have created a monster, that is very true.
    And yes, I agree with you that we are in a real mess. But that mess has been caused by none other than people like you and I. It's called affluence, and that is very rapidly turning into effluence.
    I worked as a builder. People paid me top money to build their houses. I'd buy my hinges and screws at a hardware store....guess what I bought ??
    The Aussie brand for $20 a set ??? Or the Chinese set for $2.50 ??? Well, I had to be competitive and maximise my profits just like every other builder in the country. So the owner of Aussie Hinges & Screws goes out of business, the bank forecloses on his house, he and his staff are unemployed and all now receive the dole plus rental support. Go figure.
    Yeah, your country is in an economic crisis, the same as Britain and many of the European nations. Australia is booming at the moment, but that will change I'm sure. If only we could all not import more than we can export, then perhaps things will change. You know what Aussies are pissed off about ??? Oil costs us $100 a barrell from Saudi Arabia, and we sell our wheat to them for $10.00 a barrell. Stoopid, isn't it ???

"I'm Back !!"

So you dont follow laws you feel are silly? Color me surprised.

The law was written to make it very difficult to run a write in campaign. If some poor bloke who cant spell, cant take the time or is to ambivalent to learn by rote how to spell the candidates name he has no one to blame but himself if his vote is ruled invalid.

In this state it is dependent on your willingness to learn to correctly spell the last name of the candidate you wish to write in.

Yes I think it is fair that you should lose an election if you cannot educate your supporters how to spell your name.

Make all the excuses you want, like you always do, to excuse people from personal responsibility.

It seems to me tho blue, that the law is a bit silly.
    For instance, if some poor old bloke can't spell right, or can't spell at all, and puts something in there that indicates plain as sunshine his intent, then is it fair that his vote be invalid ????
    Is the right to have ones vote counted only dependant on ones ability to spell correctly ???
    Hey, my surname is Browne.
    If I was running for office against Jones, how many votes would be cast with Brown in the box ????
    Do you think it fair that I should lose that election should those voters not put the "E" at the end of my name ????
    I think the judge has shown a lot of commonsense in his ruling. And it's about time that judges should rule those silly laws as inappropriate.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

So you dont follow laws you feel are silly? Color me surprised.

The law was written to make it very difficult to run a write in campaign. If some poor bloke who cant spell, cant take the time or is to ambivalent to learn by rote how to spell the candidates name he has no one to blame but himself if his vote is ruled invalid.

In this state it is dependent on your willingness to learn to correctly spell the last name of the candidate you wish to write in.

Yes I think it is fair that you should lose an election if you cannot educate your supporters how to spell your name.

Make all the excuses you want, like you always do, to excuse people from personal responsibility.
    Well colour me to !!!! I always thought our blue was a champion for the underdog. So, it's underdogs who can spell...right ???? What else is required for voting by your fair law ???? Gotta be able to fell a deer at 100 yds with one shot ???
    I'm sorry your boy didn't win blue, but I guess you just can't help bad luck.....eh ????
    Sounds to me like he was beaten fair and square, and you can't handle that..........I guess the majority of voters don't think like you.

"I'm Back !!"

Well colour me to !!!! I always thought our blue was a champion for the underdog. So, it's underdogs who can spell...right ???? What else is required for voting by your fair law ???? Gotta be able to fell a deer at 100 yds with one shot ???
    I'm sorry your boy didn't win blue, but I guess you just can't help bad luck.....eh ????
    Sounds to me like he was beaten fair and square, and you can't handle that..........I guess the majority of voters don't think like you.
    This isnt about championing anything other then following the law. What does it take to vote down under? A criminal record? How many lagers do you need in you before they let you in the polling booth?

He was beaten, Lisa was bought fair and square, and if you read back I accept that. If I had voted for Lisa my stance on our election laws would be the same. She won but she shouldnt be allowed to count ballots for her that are invalid by law.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

How many lagers do you need in you before they let you in the polling booth?
    About 10. But us Aussies know how to enjoy ourselves.
    Tell me blue. Why are you such an unhappy little fella ????

"I'm Back !!"

She won but she shouldnt be allowed to count ballots for her that are invalid by law.
    But the re-count WAS valid by law. The judge relied on caselaw, and that IS valid, and it is legal.
    So what the hell are you talking about ?????

"I'm Back !!"

This underdog carp being thrown out by Wom and Liz. Lisa was no under dog. Lisa had nation wide donations in the millions of dollars, and those helped her buy the election. She no longer represents Alaskans. She now represents Native Corporations who raised $1.4 million dollars for her write in campaign in under a week.

Lisa sees the seat as Her's and not our seat with her representing Alaskans. She sees the seat as a gift from her father who "gave" it to her. I even voted for her the first time she had to "Earn" our seat.

This time around she whored herself out to the highest bidder and sold us out. Some Underdog.

Joe Miller was the underdog as he didnt have millions of dollars to spend. He didnt sell himself to the highest bidder to get millions to try and buy his way into office.

Before the primary Lisa said she would respect the wishes of the voters. In the end she only respects those with the deepest pockets.

In the end she won, and if she has more ethics then ego she will abide by Alaskan law. Somehow I doubt that will happen.

I can see how Lisa can get admiration from socialists and liberals, she can be bought.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.