Thread: Question about feeding my rat Winkie....

Question about feeding my rat Winkie....

I've been told so many things. Is it okay to feed them lettuce??? I've heard both yes and no. Only certain TYPES of lettuce, though.

I've also been told they like "roots" like potatoes, sweet potatoes (Winkie LOVES them), ginger root, parsnips, turnips, etc., as well as fruits, pasta, you name it.

Any other hints (I know, he'll eat what I eat...I LOVE peanut butter and so does he).

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

http://ratfanclub.org/diet.html

Here's a good site with lists of good and forbidden foods. It mentions sweet potatos as being bad, and of course the peels of oranges, it doesn't mention lettuce as being harmful. I'd imagine its neither good or bad in moderation.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Lettuce is fine, as long as it isn't iceburg, as iceburg has no nutritional value and is packed with water, which can lead to diarrhea. Lettuces to try? Green leaf, red leaf, romaine, etc. Try to stay away from greens that can cause gas though, like spinach, broccoli and cauliflower.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

IRescue452,

Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it. Winkie LOVES hard boiled egg yolks. I always try to give him fresh stuff. Last week I bought some fruit from the salad bar at Stop & Shop. Fresh strawberries, watermelon, honeydew melon, etc. Wouldn't touch any of it. Good, more for me!!!

He like peanut butter and will literally rip it off the spoon when he sees it. I also have fresh ccooked butternut squash that he likes.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!