Thread: Help with eye problem

Help with eye problem

I got home from work tonight and one of Mini's eyes is almost completely shut. The inner eye looks quite red and there is a clear, watery discharge. Has anyone experienced this before?

I don't think there's any foreign matter in his eye as the other one is starting to redden now

I've just rinsed them with saline as he looks quite uncomfortable. Will take him to the vet tomorrow if no improvement. Any help most appreciated - thanks.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Off to the Vet...

Hi - I think the Vet trip is important to identify the problem and to nip it in the bud! I just got through with Gabe having conjunctivitis (red eye with goopy things floating around)... and it was cured in three days with a little ointment 4 times a day. He is happy now.

Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way, it was only (?) $39 US for the visit and the medicine. Well worth it!

SAS

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    My RB cat had it too. Trip to the vet is needed. Good luck!

Thanks SAS and CC's Mom

I can't believe how quickly it's come on. Only 12 hours ago he was hypnotising me with those blue eyes to bring him home treats, and tonight he looks so sad and sorry. I'll definitely make an appointment tomorrow morning.

N

different than what humans get...

The eye problems for cats is not the same as humans, from what I understand and they can get bacterial infections that turn into other things. They scratch their eyes etc. etc. and create the problems. My other two cats did not catch the eye thing, and the vet said it was not contagious.

Hope this helps.

Don't take it personally!

I sure hope that it's nothing serious. My cats have had a few eye infections too. I've had to give them eye ointment for about a week and then they are fine. Pepper has a blocked tear duct in his right eye and there's nothing I can do about it. I tried some medicine but it didn't help. All I can do is to wipe his eye with a clean wet tissue to get rid of the excess tears and other eye gunk. Good luck.

I really need a new job

Good news at the vet's, only a minor infection ... well for Mini anyway, I'll end up with scratches up and down my arms again from administering the drops. Oh well, they'll heal

I really hate double standards. My "manager" had a sick day last week as she was drunk the night before and fell off a mechanical bucking bull ride and hurt her back (on a work night) ... all I want is an hour to take the cat to the vet and it's a goddamn saga, even though there's no inconvenience for my clients. Oh for a pet loving manager again!

Miss Meow. You know even though I really don't have a problem taking off work to attend to my cats, I never tell them that that's the reason I need time off. I usually come down with a horrible headache or stomach ache and use that as an excuse. They can't get on you for taking time off to attend to yourself. Too bad some companies have to make liars out of us, but I do what it takes to take care of my babies. Sorry you have to put up with this, but do what you have to do to take good care of your fur kids. Glad to hear that your baby's eye will be ok. It's always such a worry when something goes wrong with our loving babies!!!

Originally posted by purrley
    Miss Meow. You know even though I really don't have a problem taking off work to attend to my cats, I never tell them that that's the reason I need time off. I usually come down with a horrible headache or stomach ache and use that as an excuse. They can't get on you for taking time off to attend to yourself. Too bad some companies have to make liars out of us, but I do what it takes to take care of my babies. Sorry you have to put up with this, but do what you have to do to take good care of your fur kids. Glad to hear that your baby's eye will be ok. It's always such a worry when something goes wrong with our loving babies!!!
    You're right Purrley. They lie to me often enough
    12 weeks and 1.5 days until we leave for interstate, he he he!

you should get that cat to the vet right away!
    Faith in God

Originally posted by toughCookie
    you should get that cat to the vet right away!
    Yep, went the other day, just haven't posted for a few days. He's looking a lot better

I remember when my little guy, Brian, died (car accident) and I came to work, but was just a wreck to my co-worker told me to go home. I did. My boss was amazed! He said there must have been more to my problem than merely the death of my beloved cat! I never thought of him in the same light again.