Thread: I could kiss the ground

I could kiss the ground

I just got back from my first visit to Chicago (besides the just-driving-through moments) and I really could kiss the ground right now. I loved my visit, really, but I'd never live there. Definately not for me.

I'll never be afraid to drive in my town again after seeing the driving there. I was so afraid we'd hit a person at an intersection too. It's quite illegal where I live to stand in the middle of the road selling flowers or stolen newspapers.

I experienced my first pickpocket/purse theif. I was getting on the train and somebody stuck his hand in my purse (which is attached to me and is almost a part of me so I notice any little thing). I don't keep anything in that compartment because it would fall out too easily. My money was in my pocket. I don't have a credit card to my name. I don't even know why I had my purse with me. Its so small I didn't think to leave it in the hotel. Anyway, I needed to get on the train before the doors closed so I just pushed him out of my way and got on.

We parked next to a car with bullet holes in it when we went to lunch. Real bullet holes. I'm used to seeing the fake decal bullet holes. Never real ones.

But it was fun to go to the shedd aquarium and see all the big buildings. I'd go back for a visit. Next time I bring a gun. I don't know how some people do it. If you're from a big city, you've got nerve. I bow to you, but you can keep it all for yourself.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Chicago is my home town. I do love it, love driving there(only at night!) but would never want to live there either. I like my little town!

Glad you had a nice visit. It is a really interesting place with lots of things to do.

As for the gun, I'd be afraid someone would end up killing "me" with it

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I grew up in a big city in Virginia and I always wanted to live out in the country. Soon as I became an adult I moved to warmer climate and have lived in the country or small towns. I could not see raising kids in the city and wanted no part of it. I LOVE the country living! I avoid big cities and all that traffic, to scarey!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Bullet holes? THAT would've done it for me.

At least you know first hand what Chicago is like, and can make an honest decision as to whether you'd like living there or not.

My niece lives in Philadelphia and loves it. She doesn't own a car and takes the subway, bus, etc. to get around. Almost all Philly residents do that. Besides, parkin is literally non-existent in Philly.

But bullet hole?? Uh-uh.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

You see what you want to see. I would not recommend taking a gun as handguns are not permitted in Chicago.

I lived there for over 20 years. Never saw a car with bullet holes. And those newspapers aren't stolen.

I would go back in a second....will someday. It is the best city as far as I am concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    You see what you want to see. I would not recommend taking a gun as handguns are not permitted in Chicago.

I lived there for over 20 years. Never saw a car with bullet holes. And those newspapers aren't stolen.

I would go back in a second....will someday. It is the best city as far as I am concerned!
    Although I've never lived there, I also loved it, and have been many times. I'd SO much rather live there then this cruddy town I live in now. I loved Chicago and had nothing but wonderful experiences every time I've been.

I agree that you see what you want to see.

I'd never own a gun knowing myself. I have a few anger management issues. I did love downtown, maybe just not the train station and the people in the middle of the road. Its a culture shock for sure. I'm going back as soon as I can.

I have to post pictures when my sister comes over next to load them on the computer. We have pics of the Shedd and of my little sister holding some 1 week old kittens that were rescued at the warehouse we were supposed to go cat trapping at (see cat rescue). Her visits don't happen often though.

We had a lot of excitement. We got to stay at the Hilton Garden for $65 a night. We're not rich so we were all overexcited to get to act like it for a day. I think we took pictures of everything in the hotel. Even the payphones were fancy. We met some nice people at the airport and shared a free shuttle with them even though they weren't staying at the hotel. I wish we'd met them the day before so we had more time to talk.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

were you at IKC? It was at McCormic place last weekend.
    I usually go downtown about once a month or so. I love the Field museum, I refer to it usually as MY Field and I've been there three times in the last six months and I'm already planning my next trip back! I'm deffinetly taking the el though because I always miss my turn off or something because my friends and I aren't paying attention to the street names.

Niņo & Eliza