Thread: Manx Lower Bowel Problem...myth?

Manx Lower Bowel Problem...myth?

We have a Manx that seems to have difficulty with constipation.

We visited our vet and was told that Manx have a congenital lower bowel problem...having to do with breeding...?

I don't believe this but my wife does. The vet might be right but I have my doubts so I'm asking for help in searching for some solution to his problem.

We have changed to cat food that is not dry but prescription...meant to help his "problem".

How do I get to the 'bottom' of this situation?

Any help is appreciated,
    C

Not all Manx do, but it's fairly common. The food should take care of it. Other things people have suggested to help with constipation include a few drops of olive oil or a bit of canned pumpkin added to wet food. (My cat's decided that Vitamin E is the most delicious treat on the planet, and that seems to help in that department too!) Avoid petroleum-based hairball remedies, as they can prevent a cat from absorbing important nutrients from food.

Love, Columbine

As columbine has said, it is sadly common in Manx more than other breeds. Some cats end up needing assistance to "go" their whole lives, hopefully yours will be able to manage better with a little pumpkin added, or one of her other suggestions.
    I've Been Frosted

My friend has a Manx that has problems that we affectionately call "runny butt". He doesn't have this all the time, but periodically. Many times when she leaves and I take care of her furkids. The vet said it could be stress related as well. He has an immodium type of medication to take. But again, she was told that problems of this type are common with Manx kitties.

Yup, Manx kitties sometimes have problems with incontinence or constipation because of their tails; the danger with the constipation is that it could lead to Megacolon. Lactulose is a softener frequently used with spinal cord injured critters; it's Rx, but cheap, and it's a sweet, yummy liquid you can put on food or whatever. The best thing is that it's consistent and easily measured for consistent (can't think of a synonym) results.

Wow! Thanks for the replies! We'll try those suggestions and see what happens. I really appreciate the messages.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by critters
    Yup, Manx kitties sometimes have problems with incontinence or constipation because of their tails; the danger with the constipation is that it could lead to Megacolon. Lactulose is a softener frequently used with spinal cord injured critters; it's Rx, but cheap, and it's a sweet, yummy liquid you can put on food or whatever. The best thing is that it's consistent and easily measured for consistent (can't think of a synonym) results.

One warning: Lactulose is sticky as all heck!! Jack has to take that (megacolon) and I made the mistake of the first few times trying to shoot it in his mouth with a syringe. YUCK. It made a mess out of his fur and stuck like a rock to anything it gets on that you don't get wiped up right away, particularly fabrics.

On a more positive note, it does seem to work and once I started putting it on the food with his pumpkin he lapped it right up. lol

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022