Thread: I need help..Joey problem~

I need help..Joey problem~

Lately, I have noticed that Joey cries and whines everytime I walk away from him (whether he is with someone else or not). He just goes NUTS until I come back into sight.

I have been careful not to pick him up all the time, and make him spend some time alone, or with other people. It just does not seem to help. I bring him everywhere with me, well, almost everywhere. I take him shopping to meet other dogs, and puppies. He loves other people, I mean, he gets a little scared (shaking and such) but he does LIKE others. And loves the attention.

He gets submissive with everyone (hits the ground, showing tummy) BUT he isnt petrified... I think just being so small makes him a little nervous.

I just want him to be confident and not SO clingy, because once he gets older, I dont want him to depend on me 24/7.

My parents said that all he does when I walk away is yelp and try to get away from them and back to me.....

It has me worried about the "clingyness" and ALWAYS wanting me in sight, if not wanting ON me. Is this normal? Should I worry? Will is pass?

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Bless him - he is only tiny. Maybe he needs to learn that being away from you isn't a bad thing - can others give him treats etc and distract him?
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Thank you for your reply. I did try the treats and distraction, and it does work for about 30 seconds, until he notices I am away. It breaks my heart for him, but I have never had a dog (much less a PUPPY), so I just want to make sure I do this right. I dont want to be the owner of the unruly dog that everyone walks away and says "What a Bad/Spoiled/Rotten puppy". Ya know?

I would try leaving him in small incriments, ask your parents how long after you leave the room before he starts crying. If it is a minute then the next time you leave him reenter the room just before he would normally start crying. Maybe try staying in view but not going over to him, especially if he starts crying, just ignore him until he stops. Then praise him for being quiet. When you leave the room come and go in different amounts of time while trying to teach him that it is okay to be seperate. You want him to never know when you are going to reappear. You don't want to go to him when he is crying or you are giving him what he wants. That is teaching him if he cries you will come (so if you are his fav why should he stop until he gets what he wants ) Your family should also be ignoring this behavior, they should not tell him it is okay or consoling him because they are then letting him think is it okay to cry. Chopper use to do this if he had to go in his kennel. I never went to let him out until he stopped, even if I was ready for him to come out and play. That way I was rewarding the quietness not the whining. You basically need to teach him he is not going to get what he wants just because he is noisy. When I first got Chopper followed me everywhere I went inside the house. I work at home so everytime I went to the restroom or kitchen he had to run right along behind me. Eventually he started realizing I was coming back and this subsided. Now he only comes looking for me everynow and then. I am sure others on here will have lots more advice on things that worked for their pups, all pups are different just like kids, what works for one doesn't work for them all.
    ~Traci, Duke, Champ, Chopper and Ryleigh

On occasion I have been know to speak Chopperese.

Sounds like seperation anxiety to me. Poor guy. No advice, but good luck with him!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Thank you so much for this advice. I will start trying this ASAP. I will update to let you know what happens. This sounds like a good solution. I am glad to know that you had this problem as well as that it did not last forever!

But I just felt like I was training him wrong. Thank you again!

Your welcome. You have to remember you got him early too...so you ARE his mommie. There is always an attachment I think with chis to one person more than anyone else. But Chopper did get better and so will Joey. Good luck and please give that little cutie a kiss from me.
    ~Traci, Duke, Champ, Chopper and Ryleigh

On occasion I have been know to speak Chopperese.

Aww.. that breaks my heart to see the little guy suffering separation anxiety! He will be alright, he just needs to realize you're not leaving him for good.. give him a little kiss on the nose from me.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Here's a link from our local Humane Society on separation anxiety. Hope it gives you some good information.

http://www.cochranehumane.ca/html/resources/sepanx.htm
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Dasher had severe separation anxiety. You can do small things like putting on shoes like you're going to leave, then sitting back down. Also, carrying around your car keys everywhere. Leave for short amounts of time, even if it's just five minutes. Also, when you leave, don't make a big production out of saying goodbye. Just calmly get your things and walk out. Don't pet him before you leave. I've found that giving a treat before leaving works well for Dasher. I keep him in my bedroom when I'm gone and I do make a big fuss about the treat he's getting. Now he's happy when I leave because he knows he's going to get a prized Milk Bone. I hope some of this helps. I know it's hard to ignore him like that but if you pet him and sweet talk him at that time, it only encourages the behaviour.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Thank you all.

It does make me feel bad, but I think it is for his best interest. I have to fight the urge to pick him up and tell him it is ok. I want a well rounded dog, not one that is neurotic when I am not holding/spoiling him.

He is in his box ( I use it beside my parents computer while I visit) and I just let him cry for about 45 minutes.. He just stopped, turned around a few times, and fell asleep Must have tired himself out a bit....

Fingers crossed!

Sounds like he would benefit from being crate trained. Having a place where he could be placed alone but still feel safe, i.e. no dreaded cats could get to him. Then you could start leaving him in there for short periods of time. I would think a crate where he could look out would be best. That way he could still see you if you were in the same room and then work toward leaving the room.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

A good confidence builder would be a puppy obedience classes.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome