Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tiger's Home! 'The butter incident!'

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    Does Baytril HAVE to be given by injection? I've given my cats Baytril by liquid and pill.
    The vet called the Baytril prescription into the pharmacy for me a few days ago and it was mixed into a liquid suspension that is seafood flavoured.
    It's not actually Baytril but it is the equivalent. I've been able to sneak it into stinky cat tuna so far without any trouble.
    Thanks again for all the wellwishes everybody.
    I'm hopeful that I will have a good update to post once I start treating him with the Peroxicam.

Well, after 10 days on the Baytril equivalent drug there is no change other than Tiger getting worse and worse. The Piroxicam will probably help longterm but right now he can barely breathe. So, I have started him on the prednisone again and it is helping, thank God. I have booked him in for surgery on March 17th. I'm fairly certain this will be the last surgery he will ever have as the cancer will most likely spread beyond what this type of surgery (tumor removal) can fix. But I felt I just had to do it one more time because the alternative is putting him to sleep and other than the blockage this tumor is causing, he is in great condition, good appetite, good body condition and still playful. Knowing that there is something I can do, I can't 'not' do it. He's such a great guy and we have one last kick at the can and we're going to take it. I'm so thankful that my husband is in support of this decision. I had to talk him into it and he thinks we've already spent too much money on him and put Tiger through too much but he sees where I'm coming from and has agreed to go through with it.
    Also, I'm really hoping that continued use of the Piroxicam will help keep the tumor at bay after it is removed with it's anti-inflammatory and cancer fighting properties and maybe buy us some more time.
    If anyone isn't busy on St. Patty's day, please pray for Tiger as he gets on the float plane one more time and heads into surgery at 9:00a.m. Thanks!!

Who could ever be that busy that they couldn't take a few moments to pray for our sweet boy Tiger? I pray for all our PT friends and furkids every day and I know that others do, too. Please know that I'm praying without ceasing. Bless you for taking such good care of Tiger and for giving him a chance. He's so loved and well cared for and he knows it. Keep the faith.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

emeraldgreen - if this is the last kick at the can - why not go for the cryogenic surgery?

I know you are worried about them going through the room of his mouth - but they did that with my Mom's oriental cat (smaller head) and the incision was as neat as anything, and not even an inch long!

I know money is an issue. Get to iMom.org and ask to be on the emergency list, and if you have a PayPal account or the vet's address/phone number, PTrs will help out too.

One of our members, kuhio98, is a member of iMom, and she will post this for sure!

{{{{hugs}}}}

See what your vet says of course - but if dear Tiger is having his last surgery, why not make it the best?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh dear... poor Tiger. I hope that the vet can help him get some relief. What a sweet and brave boy he is.

Tons of thoughts and prayers coming from Pennsylvania, and some big, gentle hugs as well!

I hope Tiger's surgery goes well and I will be thinking of him on St. Patty's day. That must be frustrating to have him battling a tumor that's impairing breathing but he's doing fine otherwise. Glad you got your hubby talked into the surgery to help Tiger. Also glad to hear that the pred is helping him breath better in the meantime.

Thanks for keeping us posted, I'll be looking for updates after the surgery to find out how he's doing.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Oh dear boy, Tiger! So much for a wee cat to handle, and so frustrating that you can't feel good and breath well ALL the time.

Prayers from RI that this surgery is successful and somehow this tumor is kept at bay for a long, LONG time.

Prayers for Tiger...I forgot...I just hope the same surgery again will do more...but I don't see how... . I'm sorry...

I do hope for some quality time extended for you and dear Tiger!

God watch over little Tiger.....I will pray for him along with all the others.

Thank you so much everybody.

[QUOTE=Catty1]emeraldgreen - if this is the last kick at the can - why not go for the cryogenic surgery?QUOTE

I sent an email to my vet (it's the best way to get a message to him) on Saturday and he is out of town until tomorrow. I told him about all the meds that my local vet has prescribed etc.. and that I wanted to go ahead with another surgery. I asked him to get back to me with a quote for the cryosurgery and with info regarding healing time etc... I'm hoping to speak with him tomorrow. Another thing is the timing, I had him originally booked for Mar. 24th but by Sunday he was doing so badly and I panicked and called them asking them if they could bump up the surgery which they did to the 17th. The last time I was considering the cryosurgery, my vet was trying to get ahold of cryo equipment from the human hospital but it was going to take weeks to line up. I'm thinking it will be much the same now. Of course, I wish I had planned this better but I honestly didn't think my husband would let me take him for a third surgery anyway. But, when he started suffering, I became fairly determined and knew I was going to get him in to get it done.
    I will speak with my vet about the cryo surgery and see what the cost would be. I appreciate your thought of raising funds via PT but Tiger is around 12/13 and this cancer is very aggressive and his time may not be that long on this earth no matter what route we take. And, I know there are so many other cats and dogs on PT that need help that are young animals. But I will get all the details and let you know what I find out.
    Also, I'm not sure if IMOM would be able to help because, thankfully, my vet is charging me as if Iam on his staff because I made their website for them and maintain it. It's still around 6-700.00 for the tumor removal but it's about half the cost it would normally be. But I will check into IMOM and see.
    Thanks for all the prayers!

I might have sounded like I was being negative about your decision, and I am sorry if I came off that way.

Just that Tiger has become so special to me here on PT (and many others, I am sure) - and I just want the best and a miracle for him!

HUGS!

Thanks Catty1, I really appreciate that. I didn't take what you wrote in a negative way at all. I know that you are trying to help me help Tiger.
    I have found so much support here ever since I first found PT in July when Tiger first became ill and it has and continues to be so helpful to me. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what my vet says and what route we decided to take.
    I should add that while Tiger is in good shape, he is changing with the cancer. His excellent appetite is likely from the cancer. This is what my local vet told me. She said that pets often become ravenous and no matter how much they eat, they will eventually just keep losing weight. He has lost some weight but not too much.
    He is 'off balance' here and there which is ever increasing and difficult to watch when he tries to jump up on stuff unsuccessfully. It breaks my heart to see a cat who has always been 'king' fall and look embarrased. If I'm in the room when it happens, I scoop him up before he can even have a seconds thought about it and tell him how wonderful he is and cover him with kisses and then I help him get up onto whatever it was that he was trying to hop up to.
    He is less tolerant now with some of the cats and gets 'angry' with them. But, I can certainly understand his frustration when he is having a hard time breathing. But, all in all, he is in good condition for what he has been diagnosed with and I don't think he's ready to go and I know I'm not ready to let him go. So, we'll get the tumor removed for sure and possibly the cryosurgery. I'm just not 100% about the cryo because my vet has never done it before and it scares me a bit. And I don't want Tiger to go downhill if the pain makes him stop eating and he starts losing weight etc.. But as you mentioned, your mom's cat had it done and the healing sounds like it wasn't too bad. Anyway, I'll know more in a few days.

It just sounds so aggressive, it's so sad! Poor little guy, he has no idea what is going on and why he is in so much distress. Ugh. I just makes you wish that these types of burdens could be on those who can understand, talk to the doctors and bear the burdens easier, you know?? At least that is how I usually feel. I hate to think of any one or any creature suffering.

Our one good guidance counselor at school has an aggressive tumor that is growing on the meninges of his brain and in the bone. It grows outward, so you can see the spread over his skull and his face. It's so heartbreaking. The doctors said this is something he'll have for life, and the surgeries to remove it (he's had it once already, and the tumor then was the size of an orange) will not make it stop, and chemo and all that can't kill it. It's sad. He's such a wonderful guy, just got remarried, has a 5 yr old daughter. Sigh. Always the sweet and innocent that have to suffer.

I'm so sorry to hear this. He'll remain in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))