Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

Two Hot Tamales...One had a last name of Feniger, I think....

Yan is still on, you have to check the listings, most of MYs shows are old-I learned how to Pad Thai from hiim. Ming whashisname is also a PBS offering.

There was an older woman, who had a series on PBS that cooked Mex. I cannot remember her name.

------------

Beans are an easy recipe.
    Rice is another.......I posted it another thread.....

Get pinto beans from the bins-the bagged PBs are sometimes old.

You can soak them overnight. Change the water and cook them until soft. 1-1.5 hours, keep the liquid level up over the beans. Enjoy or......

When done you can refry them by putting oil or lard in a frying pan.
    Start out with only beans and add the broth to them as you mash them.
    Get them a smashy as you like.....SMASHY-LOL, I'm Richard Ray now!!!

If you like cheesy beans, add some grated monterey jack, yellow or pepper jack....

Ming... yeah..... he is a freaking hottie. I'll watch his show just to drool over him!

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Two Hot Tamales...One had a last name of Feniger, I think....

Yan is still on, you have to check the listings, most of MYs shows are old-I learned how to Pad Thai from hiim. Ming whashisname is also a PBS offering.

There was an older woman, who had a series on PBS that cooked Mex. I cannot remember her name.

------------

Beans are an easy recipe.
    Rice is another.......I posted it another thread.....
    Two Hot Tamales!!! That was it! I liked that show.

Daisy Martinez is the Daisy Cooks! chick. Her shows are basically from a few years ago, but I like them.

I'm not a fan of mushy beans. The only refried beans I ever had that I liked were at a restaurant in New Hope, PA. They were this purple blue color, and very tasty. Not sure what kind of beans they were, but they were good.

The kind the families around here make are beans in a broth. I think they are small red or pink beans.

My one roommate used to make the best rice. Her family was from Puerto Rico. It was cooked in a cast aluminum pot, and she would do something that it got crispy on the bottom. Bagao? That how it sounded what she called it. Not sure how it's spelled.

We have the Hogar Crea community centers around here and they will always have a tent up at the fairs and stuff and sell rice and beans and chicken. Soooooo yummy. They make great flan as well. That they have sold door to door to support the work they do for the rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post

My one roommate used to make the best rice. Her family was from Puerto Rico. It was cooked in a cast aluminum pot, and she would do something that it got crispy on the bottom. Bagao? That how it sounded what she called it. Not sure how it's spelled.
    The purple beans sound like black beans...

I have never heard of bagao!

Many people don't realize that Latin food is as varied as any cultural cooking.

The goofball who does Latin food program-she sometimes doesn't ID where the recipes originate- You may have a name for a dish and the ingredients change from area to area. Same with cuts of meat.

Same with ingredients...Plantains are more Central Am, Northern-South Am staples. Black, pink and red are also specific to those areas.

Quesadillas with anything more than cheese are not typical Mex. Same with "Mango Salsa"...I never heard of that until a few years ago.

Tamales? I have never had a tamale in a banana leaf. When I buy them or on the occasions I have tried to make them, it's done in corn husks. The American tamales, canned or frozen, are wrapped in paper!

Also there are beef, pork, chicken tamales, or sweet tamales......walnuts, raisins or pineapple - I don't care for the sweet ones.

----------

Mex Rice?

IT's like Rice a Roni.

Brown your rice, then add some water and tomato sauce, chop onions and add coriander, chopped.

Cover and cook like regular rice. I have to ask about the ratios, my mom makes the best, but her recipe is for "thousands"..

Some people add peas and carrots....that's a regional thing....Add some fresh coriander as garnish and enjoy.

Is it spelled Pegao maybe??
    http://www.elboricua.com/arroz.html

Maybe they were black beans. Not sure. They were yummy!!

Have you ever used Sazon? I can buy it in the Goya section, but it always has MSG in it.

Daisy Martinez on Daisy Cooks makes her own, but I can't find some of the ingredients she used.

Plantains.... yummmmmmmmm!! I've had them the way they make them in Ghana, Jamaica/Caribbean, and Puerto Rico. I prefer them sweet, and fried, to the spicy and kinda hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    Is it spelled Pegao maybe??
    http://www.elboricua.com/arroz.html

Have you ever used Sazon? I can buy it in the Goya section, but it always has MSG in it.

Daisy Martinez on Daisy Cooks makes her own, but I can't find some of the ingredients she used.

Plantains.... yummmmmmmmm!! I've had them the way they make them in Ghana, Jamaica/Caribbean, and Puerto Rico. I prefer them sweet, and fried, to the spicy and kinda hard.
    O.K.!

Pegao, literally translated, means "stuck to". Anne B would call it "CRUD".

Sazon-Seen it but never have tried it. On the next shopping trip.

I posted about TAJIN, a fruit seasoning that is really good....On the 'net they wanted 4.95 for a bottle that I paid 1.18 for at the store....that was w/o S&H!

Plaintains are called "machos" whole or "tostones" when flattened and fried-Tostone is a kind of coin.

I am not a fan of the fried bee-nanners! I think it's the starch.

I've seen the tostones made, but they were fried twice I think. The one guy I dated made them fried w/out flattening them and served them with a lot of the African stews he made. They were normally really really hot and spicy.

I prefer the plantains to be over ripe, and then sliced and fried, so that they are really soft and sweet when done.

My favorite kind of banana dish is when it's dipped in a light batter, deep fried, drizzled with a little honey, and topped with vanilla icecream.

I am going to kick my T.V. screen in before too long.

Are people on the FNC STOOPID?

I passed by the Grilling with Booby Flake offering.

He had two guys on that were making some kind of BBQ food.

They prepped the meat and went to put it on a Weber Kettle BBQ-the round model on the stilts........

They took the top off and put it on the floor so they could place the meat on the grill.

If you have half a brain, two licks of sense and a pair of eyes they would know that the model they used has a hook welded inside the dome so the top can be hung on the edge of the grill....the top of the BBQ should never be put on the ground!

This amazes me everytime I see someone do that!!!

----------

I'll look out for the deep fried bananas at the fair this year!

I love dumb people.

Where does olive oil come from?

How do you get olive oil?

Are olives edible?

----------

PBS has a series called Globetrekker. They make programs on traveling to different countries. Last night they did a special food episode with some chefs as the hosts of each segment.

The first was Padma from Top Chef, She cooked this paella in Spain. The next segment was Tyler Florence visiting Italy. He went to an olive farm to harvest olives and to help make olive oil.

He's with the owner of the farm and talking about the process when the man tells TF that he should taste a fresh olive, right from the tree.

I just about wet my pants.

He takes the olive, pops it onto his mouth and starts to chew.

Who doesn't know that raw olives are not edible?

Here's a hint. He got the ULTIMATE surprise when he bit into a 'fresh olive'.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I am going to kick my T.V. screen in before too long.

Are people on the FNC STOOPID?

I passed by the Grilling with Booby Flake offering.

He had two guys on that were making some kind of BBQ food.

They prepped the meat and went to put it on a Weber Kettle BBQ-the round model on the stilts........

They took the top off and put it on the floor so they could place the meat on the grill.

If you have half a brain, two licks of sense and a pair of eyes they would know that the model they used has a hook welded inside the dome so the top can be hung on the edge of the grill....the top of the BBQ should never be put on the ground!

This amazes me everytime I see someone do that!!!

----------

I'll look out for the deep fried bananas at the fair this year!
    Is that the two guys that grilled lettuce? After I saw that, I left the room. Tooooooo much!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    Is that the two guys that grilled lettuce? After I saw that, I left the room. Tooooooo much!!
    Yep,
    Typical Cah Lee fuh nee ahns - if it don't fall through the grill, you can BBQ it.

Here's another thing to watch for - Theme days.

They start with a veggie/meat and carry it through to all the programs on that day.

I noticed this a few weeks ago when I was surfing the tube. I passed a show in the morning before I went out and the p.m. shows had the same ingredient.

I have a crush on Alton Brown, especially after he did the show where he traveled around on the motorcycle.....

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart View Post
    I have a crush on Alton Brown, especially after he did the show where he traveled around on the motorcycle.....
    In my opinion, that was one of FN's best shows. I really liked it too! Anybody that liked Alton before would definitely love him after that cool show.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart View Post
    Ditto!! I absolutely LOVE Alton Brown. I just love his personality on his shows, and the way he teaches about ingredients and food.

I even have his pic on my MySpace (along with the CSI hotties, lol). My tastes vary a lot!

I'm watching the South Beach Food Fest (not very impressed). Paula Deen is on. UGH.

Is it just me, or did Emeril get really fat and really balding?!