Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

U had a good laugh a few minutes ago.

I flipped by the FC and saw another 'special' with AB. It's a "Best of" type program. Bum Appetit looked for the best places to eat.

AB is the host and Andrew Knowitall is the mouthpiece describing the restaurants and what they offer.

One pizza place serves pies with raw eggs on them and you can look around and see HOLLYWOOD STARS! IT's also co-owned by Mario B. I wonder if that had anything to do with it's selection?

AK also gave his spin on a steakhouse picked as one of the top three.
    He said something about being able to pick a piece of meat at this eatery, they cook it for you and when they serve it, "IT TASTES LIKE STEAK".

That is culinary genius, imagine making a steak taste like steak!

I have to say that Feasting on Waves was one of the most awesome series I've ever seen on tv.
    What a cool show. Their journey was amazing. I loved seeing all the island people and learning what their native foods are. The underwater scenes were just incredible. Kudos to FN for doing a stellar job. I'm really sad to see it come to an end tonight.

I loved Alton's tan too.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Has anyone seen the Chef Jeff program?

I watched the set up for the series a few days ago. I have to admit that I was impressed by his story. He seemed to be really humble about being able to go from a prison to becoming a chef-I didn't see why or what he went to jail for-only that he made it out and was trying to teach people how to get ahead thru cooking.

I did tune into the the premiere of the show and was a little taken back by the small part I saw. I tuned in as they went to feed the crew of the Genera; Hosp soap opera.

I didn't get it. I understand the pressire of cooking as a job/vocation, but is it a contest? A school? I'll have to watch it from the beginning to see.

I was a little turned off about the way the cooks were after each other. There were two guys that were mad dogging eah other-the one made a statement about if he was alone with the other guy he thought they would have fought it out.

And I also was a little confused about CJ's attitude toward his charges and the way he gave them instructions on how to prepare they food.....

------------

Did the NTFNS's show run it's course?
    I really haven't watched any of the FN lately-I have looked for something new and haven't seen anything that interests me.

There was a huge push for new shows and then nothing. I have noticed that the new shows are just the regulars cooking with family or people who have sent in recipes....even then the shows are kinda lame.

-----------

Is Bridget from America's test kitchen getting chubby?

I saw "Chef Jeff" and really liked it. If they each get through the program successfully they will go on to cooking school. 3 of the 6 don't have a high school diploma or GED so they must get that in order to enter the culinary studies program.

I didn't see any episodes of "Big Daddy's Kitchen". Apparently Aaron is still with FN, though because I saw him in a promo spot for their new line-up.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I am watching the first episode of Chef Jeff - seems like a good idea. He's opening a new restaurant, and hires 6 "kids" ranging in age from 18-24, who are "at-risk" - either have done jail time, sold drugs, used drugs, or gotten into other trouble. If they make it through the program they get a 2-year scholarship to go to culinary school.

Thanks, I was wondering about the atmosphere and the tension in the air.

I'll have to check it out.

Chef Jeff is a great show. The chef assigned one of the young men to be the group leader. The other fella was a little upset about it. I think he thought he should have been chosen. That's where the animosity comes in.
    I think this is one of FN best shows ever.

Richard, if you're talking about Aaron McCardle's show....I think they showed the few episodes he made and they are taking a break. Aaron is on the road with Rachel Ray right now in her mobile teaching project. I saw Aaron on another FN commercial the other day so he's still around. Unlike Amy that opted not to come back, or, they decided not to bring her back. Elyse(cassiesmom)said she went to France with her family to live.

I think Aaron will be around for awhile.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    Richard, if you're talking about Aaron McCardle's show....I think they showed the few episodes he made and they are taking a break. Aaron is on the road with Rachel Ray right now in her mobile teaching project.
    Thanks!

LOL, I saw something that has me split on the whole idea.

I was watching Mike Chiarello cooking a dish where he made a batch of veggies-I think it was in the oven, roasted.

After he took the juice/broth from the bottom of the pan he tossed them into the trash. I thought that it was a waste, My dogs will eat veggies and love them-I thought about it and remembered that dogs should NOT GET ONIONS!

Hokay! Last night, AB made a dish and tossed the roasted veggies into the dog's dish! I didn't see the set up for either dish so I can't be sure onions were present, but name me a cook that doesn't use onions and I'll call it a travesty!

I guess if you don't cook onions with the mix you are O.K., but I was a little concerned about how one treated the subject opposed to the other.

LOL, I watch way too much cooking on TV and put too much effort into watching them as they cook!

I think his name is actually Aaron McCargo instead of what I wrote above. I don't know the spelling. I saw a piece with him in it last night and heard his name. Oops. I told myself I need to come back here and say something.

I watch so much cooking on tv, I convince myself that I'm a gourmet cook until I actually cook. Forget it.

You gotta wonder how some of that food actually tastes(I think I said this before but it always bugs me).

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I've been dealing with insomnia and just not sleeping much at all, and so have been watching FN till about 5am when the infomercials come on. I saw a commercial for one of the Dinner Impossible shows and the new guy is having an issue getting it done, and Aaron McCargo shows up to help "save the day". Good to know he's still around, even if it's not on a show of his own.

I love watching the older Good Eats shows. I still adore Alton Brown, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    I've been dealing with insomnia and just not sleeping much at all, and so have been watching FN till about 5am when the infomercials come on.
    I watch the AB ROLLER infomercials to lose all the weight I gain while watching and eating my way thru late nightTVland.

I just can't do the Symon programs. IT seems like he panics to easily and doesn't have the 'panic mode' that Robert Irving had. This will probably be the last incarnation for this series.

I caught about 5 seconds of the Giada series with her sister, I don't know what is funnier-they way she treats her non-cooking sister or her sister admitting she don't know squat!

The weekend shows are coming up, see if I remember to watch some.

I did see part of part of the "Off the Hook-G Fieri" program. That was scary.

You're so funny, Richard.

Every time Giada has one of her relatives or friends on the show, she acts like they don't even know how to boil water. It really is sickening how arrogant she can be. I know all of her friends and family agree. Especially the ones that obviously know something about cooking.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    You're so funny, Richard.

Especially the ones that obviously know something about cooking.

If there is an Italian woman on the planet who cannot cook, she married into the family.

I put on the FC as background noise and was tripping on TF and his ultimate show. He made a chicken pot pie.....He pulls out a chicken and says that it's organic, tastes good and really good for the enviroment.

He goes to the fridge and pulls out a dozen eggs in a plastic egg box....Um, I thought that plastic packaging wasn't good for the enviroment.

I did see and liked the Cooking in the Loft show, the hostess was kinda dopey, in a good way.

-------------

Oh, and I love the cuts to commercials on the programs. Those are the segments where the host tell you that they are going to finish things up when they come back from commercial and they continue cooking.

RR almost threw a header today. She's making some kind dish that goes into the oven and she squats down to slide it in. She'll be right back she reminds us, then does this 180 twist as she stands up so she can finish up. LOL, she did it so fast that you can see her stumble and almost throw her hand out to steady herself on the counter.....

---------

Ann Burrell is making some kind of chicken and mushroom dish.....She's explaining what goes into the dish- "Pancetta, It's a bacon-y thing"..

I have to keep a little notebook to write all the things I laugh about.....

First time I've ever seen Giada was today.

It's the first time I've ever WANTED clams or oysters. She made it look so easy!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I have to keep a little notebook to write all the things I laugh about.....

Great idea, Richard. You seem to catch the best errors.

The story about RR is really good. She moves around like a hummingbird and we know she's knocking back 14 cups of strong coffee every day. No wonder she almost fell.
    Whatever happened to her Dunkin Donuts ads?

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!