Thread: A few pics of my bird

A few pics of my bird

Her name is Bonnie (it was Bono til I found out she was a girl. lol)

I don`t know how old Bonnie is but it is eight years since, Vilma, the woman who lives next door, gave her to me. Her partner, Jack, had been given it by his sister a week or so before that. I had heard the bird screeching and Jack shouting at it during this time. Early one morning Vilma called me outside, out I went, still not dressed to see her standing there holding this cage up. "Do you want this?" she said, and the rest, as they say is history.

(The other pictures of Bonnie are in an Imagestation album)

Lucky for you! She's gorgeous!!!
    Mom of 5 dogs, 6 cats, a bird, and a donkey!
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291557495

Thank you sottice and popcornbird

Popcornbird, in answer to your question(s), no, she is not a pearl, she is a wild-coloured grey one. I did have a pearl a few years ago, I got her as a companion to Bonnie, she was so cute. I do have two small pictures with them both together but as my scanner is unusable I can`t post them. As I said, I bought Edge to be with Bonnie, though they never were really friendly toward each other, they didn`t fight or anything, just sort of ignored each other most of the time.
    She had been with us about 4 years when I came downstairs and, as normal, uncovered the cage to say good morning to them and Edge was lying dead in the bottom of the cage. I don`t know what had happened to her, it was so upsetting, she had been fine when Id said goodnight to them and she hadnt been ill or anything like. I got tears now remembering

Anyway, moving away from that sad subject, Popcornbird, do you visit any bird web sites? Just in case you dont I took the liberty of doing a Google search on cockatiel bird and found a lot of sites. I only checked two of them out but they look pretty interesting. Here are the two links if you are interested.

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/

http://www.cockatiel.com/

Bonnie is a very beautiful and lucky Lady to have found her forever home. I think she was squaking because she wanted to "move next door."

LOL. Thank you gini.

Popcornbird - They are both so Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing the pictures.
    I can see that my Bonnie does look like your girl around the face. I also think on looking at her that my Edge bird was maybe not a pearl after all, she had more yellow than your girl.
    Back in time when I was given Bonnie I knew absolutely nothing about cockatiels so I got books (didn`t have internet then) and learnt all I could, and I remember that having a pair was recommended, something about them being very social birds and needing company? Around that same time my friend Jan, (who lived in New York State, we lost touch a while ago) had cockatiels too, she started off with one then bred some herself, beautiful birds too.
    Give your gorgeous birds a kiss from me!

Chris, your baby is beautiful!!! And she looks a lot like my Milly. Popcornbird keeps telling me to get some new pictures, and I will, soon, I promise. We have two Cockatiels. Roger was our first, earlier this year. He is a joy! Then I adopted Milly because her owner got sick and couldn't care for her anymore. Roger thinks she is wonderful and sings in her ear all the time. Milly doesn't say much, but she is pretty enough, and chirps to me when I walk in their room.

I have never had birds before these two, but I sure do love them a lot!!!

It's nice to have another Cockatiel lover here at Pet Talk!! Plus the sites you guys have listed are great. Now, I just need to find enough time to look at them!!!

Here are Roger (on the left) and Milly (on the right).

Logan

Logan - they are both just Gorgeous! Please post some more pictures SOON. And I agree, my Bonnie does look a lot like Milly.
    I too hadn`t kept birds before -well, except for Henry, the budgie, but that was when I was a teenager, a long, long time ago!LoL
    Bonnie is not an entertaining bird, she is mostly quite quiet, she doesn`t talk, won`t come out of the cage, won`t do any of the thing I bet you guys birds do, doesn`t even like toys! (and believe me I tried very hard with her) But she does have her sweet ways, sour ones too! LoL. Like she loves to be stroked on the head and face, a lot, but only how she wants, do it wrong or let your fingers stray to her chest at your peril! When she hisses her displeasure I sure she is of the opinion that she is an eagle or something But although I would have liked her to be more like yours and other peoples, instead of the quirky odd one she is, as long as she is happy so I am I. Besides she fits right in with us, Bob and I, cos we are quite odd too! LOL

Chris, if it makes you feel better, Milly doesn't like to come out on my finger either. Helen can get her out of her cage, but I have a tough time. She doesn't bite me, just gets agitated and starts hissing. So, I get Roger out of his cage, which is right beside Milly's, and he climbs up on hers and starts saying "hey birdie" to her through the bars of her cage, and eventually, she comes right on out on her own. I just leave their doors open, turn off the ceiling fan (their wings need clipping and they can fly), give them their bath water, turn on the radio, and close the door. They have a blast, just eating out of their extra food dish on top of their cages, taking baths, and looking at themselves in the mirror. Right now, they live in our spare bedroom for their safety. We have had so many dogs in the house, that I felt I was taking too much risk having their cages in the living area.

Milly doesn't talk either. She just chirps, but her chirp is more cheerful now, after being here about four months. I don't think the poor girl was brought out of her cage much at all prior to her coming to live here. I don't think she will ever have Roger's personality, but she adores him. Today, I was watching him sing his Zippity Do Dah song to her. He puts his little head right up to her ear and sings to her. It is the sweetest thing I have ever seen. Hope I can catch that on film sometime soon!!

And by the way, Chris. It was funny to read that your Bono became Bonnie. Milly was "Willy" when I got her. They swore it was a male Cockatiel. No way!! I read and read and this is girl, for sure. Roger proved it a while back.

These stories are so sweet. It fascinates me that people can have such special relationships and communications with birds.

I have never owned one, but it sounds like so much fun!

Hmmm, Logan, could Millie be in a family way?

Gosh, there is never a dull moment at your house!

How cute

by popcornbird
    Actually, let's make this a pet bird picture thread. Anyone with pet birds, please post their pictures here. We'll love to see them!
    Good idea!

by popcornbird
    Chris, have you ever tried taming Bonnie? If you haven't, maybe that's the reason she isn't tame.
    Oh, yes, remember I`ve had her for eight years! For a very long time after Id had her and intermittently since. She doesnt want to come out, for some birdie reason, and as she is happy and healthy I respect her wishes. When I tell you all she is quiet I dont mean she doesn`t communicate, on the contrary she does that very well! With her different chirrups, shouts and body posture she lets me know when, or whether, she wants her cover on or off; when she wants a treat or a fuss; if there is something or someone she doesn`t like the look of; when and if she wants a bath; when- how to put it- okay, when shes ready to mate and a host of other things too.

by Logan about Milly
    I don't think the poor girl was brought out of her cage much at all prior to her coming to live here.
    I wonder about Bonnies history too. I know about her being shouted at (and I suspect, stuff was thrown at her too) but other than that nothing, not even her age. I didn`t like the cage she was in either, it was round one and not very big, at least not for a cockatiel. But that was long ago, what was, was, and what is, is, if you know what I mean. LOL.

Thanks popcornbird, I surely will give her those head scratches from you before she goes to sleep tonight