Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: --updated page 48--Rockee's time too?

Hybrid View

--updated page 48--Rockee's time too?

This is not the year for dogs, although I did predict this would happend this year I didn't know if it actually would.

Rockee just can't seem to get comfortable, she will lay down, get up, pace, lay down, up etc. She can't lay down for more then 30 seconds. Now htis doesn't happen all day but quite often.

All day though if she isn't laying down she paces back and forth.

Other then that I think she's going blind, she snatches treats which she didn't do before.

I certainly don't see the problems Thunder had but sheis very over weight and has artheritis.
    Last edited by buttercup132; 03-12-2008 at 04:18 PM.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

There are meds for canine arthritis which do help the dog feel more comfortable. Perhaps that would help? Does Rockee seem more comfortable sitting on soft beds than on the floor? Most older dogs will gravitate to a cushiony base.

Prayers for Rockee, and for you and your family.

Can you get her to the vet for a visit? Maybe she just needs a dosage adjustment for the arthritis. Good thoughts headed your way....

Sending good thoughts and prayes to Rockee.

Is she going to see the vet soon?
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

If she is fed separately, getting some healthy weight loss food from the vet would really help ease her pain as well.

I bet that alone would give her more time, and healthier time at that.

{{{hugs}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Were going to the vet today so I'll update when we get back.
    See ALL my pets here

I wasn't going to reply to your threads like this as I feel they're attention seeking and not focusing on the well being of the dog...but I couldn't resist.
    So when I had to put Thunder down I was trying to get attention? I was looking for advice which is what I'm pretty sure this is for..

believe it or not the vet has yours and Rockee's best interest in mind
    How can you say that when you see how many people get ripped off by vets? I know people who worl behind the scenes at this vet and most of the vets don't care and want o get as much money as they can.

I know the blood work was nessicary but I didn't think the urine sample was and my boss (a previous vet tech) agreed. She said if there was something wrong they would be able to tell with just a blood test.

They don't want to just put her on pills, they want to do a bunch of test on her too and I'm not putting my dog through that as I'm sure most people wouldn't.

She's turning 14 she doesn't need to be put through that..
    See ALL my pets here

I pray for the best for Rockee.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    How can you say that when you see how many people get ripped off by vets? I know people who worl behind the scenes at this vet and most of the vets don't care and want o get as much money as they can.

I know the blood work was nessicary but I didn't think the urine sample was and my boss (a previous vet tech) agreed. She said if there was something wrong they would be able to tell with just a blood test.

It's not a good idea to make an assumption based on just a few vets and one (or a couple) people you know that work for just a few vets.

I happen to work for a great group of vets and the animal's health really IS the thing they are most concerned with as well as everyone that works at the hospital.

Just because a few bad apples are out there doesn't mean you write off the entire profession.

I mean c'mon if we use your logic on that.....

1) If we (or our animals) break a leg we can't go to a doctor (vet) or ER hospital because you know there are a few that will rip you off. Better that we just let the bone stick out through the leg and heal itself.

2) If our wheel on our car wobbles horribly when we drive we just let it go until it finally breaks, hope we don't die (or kill anyone) in the resulting crash because you know there are mechanics out there that will rip you off.

3) If we need dental work done (or our pets do) it's better to just let the teeth get so bad they're loose and pull them out on our own because we all know there are some dentists (vets) out there that will rip you off.

You just can't go through life generalizing like that, and you can't write off an entire profession based on limited experience with a few limited examples of the profession or a couple biased opinons from a few people that work for said few examples of the profession.

If you're not happy with your current vet then, by all means, go find one you can trust and be happy with, but don't degrade the whole profession based on a few bad apples.

My $.02 worth. You do to suit yourself.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

If you disagree with the vet, get a 2nd opinion somewhere else.
    Last edited by jennielynn1970; 03-12-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Because it is the right thing to do... sorry for all of this.

Good lord I'm gone for the weekend and I come home to my thread about having to put my dog to sleep turned into a bashing, flaming thread
    I guess here goes my reply..

It's not a good idea to make an assumption based on just a few vets and one (or a couple) people you know that work for just a few vets
    It's not just a few vets, I hear all the time from people complaining about vets, I know people who work with the whole vet community (as some know I work for a vet who).

If we (or our animals) break a leg we can't go to a doctor (vet) or ER hospital because you know there are a few that will rip you off. Better that we just let the bone stick out through the leg and heal itself
    I never said I wouldnt take them to the vet because of it, it's hard to find a good vet that your trust in. And actually I know alot of people in the states who don't fo to the ER with broken bones because they dont want to pay (unless it's really severe).

If you disagree with the vet, get a 2nd opinion somewhere else.
    I already said I was going to the other vet at the place who I trusted. Good to see your schooling skills doing you well..

Rockee being 14 years old speaks for itself
    I was going to say the same thing, she's old anyone who puts their dog through that at that age I'm sorry but they are thinking of themselves not the dog..

Jenn please stop appologizing and commenting in my threads.
    Your so two faced, you reply in my thread and act like a huge ***** and then the next day or whatever you pm me saying how sorry you are and how you won't do it again yet you keep doing it. Please keep your ********* out of my threads. I bit my tounge when you had to "give up" your new puppy so I expect the same expecially from someone who thinks they are so mature.

Elizabithan thanks for the suggestion.
    I think that swimming would make her worse though cause it will hurt her joints and she's not a fan of water either unless she goes in by herself on her own time.

Thank you for those who stuck up for me while I couldn't defend myself and everyone who pmed me.
    See ALL my pets here

I will first off admit I have not read through the entire thread since I stopped when the posts got not only out of hand but off-topic, but I do have a few comments if you don't mind:

#1. I hope Rockee is feeling better and gets the medicine/treatment he needs

#2. Not all vets are out for money. Notice I say "not all", because I obviously can't speak for them all. Heck I'm only going to school become a vet tech and already a week into classes... if you don't really care about animals, you won't put up with half the stuff we have to learn.. it's long, it's hard, it's expensive, and more importantly... I'm not even studying to become a vet!! Just a tech! Even then vets don't even make that much... I guess unless you owned your own practice, maybe, but working for a clinic... I know starting out I'll only be making about $30k/year. That isn't much AT ALL.

Even if money was of no factor for them, let's say they were in it to "make money", the schooling would immediately turn you off. It's HARD. It isn't easy. Especially for how much I'll be making after I graduate... $30/year... that's what I PAID for schooling! And reminding again, this is just for a TECH, not a full-fledged vet even!

But I Can't speak for everyone obviously, just from my own experiences I can say that if you honestly do not love and care for animals, there is NO WAY anyone would force themselves to learn the material and go to classes. Anyone who didn't have that passion would quit early on, and this is from my experiences after only a week of classes!

I WILL say, however, that some vets are friendlier than others. I've been to vets that were so impersonal they will just walk into the exam room, feel up the dog, fill syringes with Lord knows what, pull liquids out of random places, run random tests, and give random shots, all without ever having said a word to me, explaining what the heck they were doing, OR even asking if it was ok to do those things. Not to mention they never even introduced themselves! But I have also have vets that were so friendly and loving and went above and beyond to make not only myself feel at ease but my dogs, too, and you know it's a hit or miss but I do honestly believe even the "impersonal" vets are still there for the love of the animals, or they would have never completed school much less still be in the business, because no amount of money is worth some of the BS I'm sure they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Also please forgive me for this winded novel, I'm not disagreeing with anyone, I am not trying to cause trouble, I am just trying to give an alternative view point to this to maybe help others understand the other perspective.

And also I took benedryl an hour ago and it's starting to hit me so if some of this rambles or makes no sense... I apologize lol.

facebook

buttercup132 - I can't remember the timeline here...is Rockee supposed to get some more minor tests soon?

I like what elizabethann said about glucosamine - there is also Omega 3-6 oil for dogs (which I use for my cats!) that can be very helpful.

Glacier also reported what her vet used for Pirate, who is an elderly dog and has bad arthritis:

Jan 24
    Anti-inflammatories will help with her back, her hips and her overall comfort level. She's starting on Metacam tonight.
    Jan 25
    She's outside in the big yard for the first time right now. She's moving really well. Metacam rocks! I'll have more pics soon.
    Jan 26
    I went to let Kayleigh out of the shop. When I came out, I saw Pirate RUNNING beside Tehya! Not sprinting and only for about 30 feet, but she was RUNNING!! Tail up, husky grin on her face, running!
    I hope your vet might try it - it's not a miracle for all dogs, but might be worth a try with Rockee!

She also mentioned Cosequin, but Pirate's vet thought Pirate was too arthritic for it. However, you could ask your vet about that.

I hope dear Rockee can be more comfortable. {{{{hugs}}}}
    Last edited by Catty1; 03-11-2008 at 12:14 AM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm really sorry to hear that Rockee isn't doing well. I can only imagine how sad/frustrating this if for you and your family. I hope you can find a better Vet... I know you will do the right thing for her, regardless.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

And here we go again.... With your unjust imature remarks..... Are you sure you are a teacher???

You have to have that dig at her dont you.
    We just lost thunder recently due to old age problems... How heartless can you be.
    Now we have yet again an elderly dog (almost 14) whom is suffering.....
    We have had both these dogs since pups, and they have had a good life... Doesnt that prove we love them??????
    The Vet we go to has 4 different vetenarians, the one of whom we saw for rocky is the original owner and works maybe twice a week.... We have been told by quite a few people now that he all for the money... Yeah I am sure he does feel for the animals too, he is a vet aferall.
    But I would rather have an honest opinion from one of the other vets in the clinic who is souly out there for the well being of our dog.
    Rocky is a lab/shepard...There life expectancy is usually 12 yrs on average.
    So say I pay out $1000 to get these tests done and 6 months down the road my dog is ill from another old age problem????? Or say I put all this money out and they come to the descision that it isnt cushings, so now they need to test for other things, meaning more money and more stress for Rocky????????
    I Want what is best for MY dog.... And if it better to let her go than have her suffer then so be it.
    I was heart broken when thnder went and stuggled for a while after.....

I just think some people on here need to learn to grow up and be realistic....
    If she were 5 0r 6 then yes for sure we would try more tests, she is younger and not so stressed out and uncomforble.

All I can say Is that I think you are perfetic jenn_librarian, You also had to get the dig in there about schooling too didnt you...
    Grow up lady... And leave my Kid, yes still a kid and immature ALONE.