Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone here feed raw meats to their cats?

Well

There are places that sell them prepackaged. Just go to Google.com and do a search for .... chicken necks.... and you will find a few places that will ship them. My breeder (my cats' breeder) gets them from her butcher. If you buy a whole chicken, already prepared for cooking, the neck etc. is included in the inside....just like turkeys etc. etc. My guys disliked the neck so much that I dare not order in quanity until they get the hang of raw meats. It makes me gag just thinking about touching the meat. I use gloves.

Anyway, butchers usually have them, just not chain food stores because they don't clean their own chickens. They just splap their stickers on the meats.

Are you thinking about offering a bit for that stuff to Ms. E?

2. My husband's younger son does not eat any meat other than poultry. He lived with us for two years. I only cook on Sunday night (and that's an accomplishment!) so every Sunday night I would cook chicken. French chicken, bbq chicken, Scandanavian chicken, etc, etc, etc....

Edwina likes Sunday nights. (Except for bbq and garlic nights.) It is a nice change from turkey! So maybe she would like a chicken neck??? My mother has always given her dogs organ meat (kidneys in particular) but cooked. It just seems like a chicken neck would be ALOT of food for one cat!

(BTW -- son went off the college this week...will I continue Sunday night dinner??????)

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    ... Edwina likes Sunday nights. (Except for bbq and garlic nights.) It is a nice change from turkey! So maybe she would like a chicken neck??? My mother has always given her dogs organ meat (kidneys in particular) but cooked. It just seems like a chicken neck would be ALOT of food for one cat! ...
    We get chicken necks from the local butcher or a shop that just sells chicken products. They don't have a lot of meat on them, more sinewy stuff and the raw bone that's good for chewing without splintering. They look revolting, which is why they aren't often on display!!! (I don't eat meat so I find a lot of it revolting to look at, but the necks are truly gruesome!)
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

My cats never used to eat raw chicken wings or drumsticks and always looked rather disinterested in the whole concept. I found that if I cooked them just a little they loved them - it also helps to make a few cut marks so they get into it a little better.

Of course it is important not to cook meat with fine bones too much because the bones become brittle and can get stuck.

I feel it's also worth noting that raw meat is part of a cats natural diet. The main difference is that in the wild they consume all of their prey which provides additional nutrients/vitamins/minerals found in the preys "non-meat" parts. So although raw meat is good for kitty it is important to make sure their diet is balanced.

Thank you Troy

Thanks so much for your opinion.

I am sure I will be switching the cats but unsure if it will be 100%. I still leave their prescription dry food down for them, although they are not much interested in it.

Tonight I will again try the chicken necks for my three! This time I will cook them a short amount of time.

This week I hope to introduce them to veggies and fruits. I have done quite a bit of research on this topic and will try my best to balance the cats' diets.

Thank you again for your comments!