Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recipes - Cakes, Cookies

I think I found the recipe for the cookies I tried in Scotland recently, at the Glenturret Restaurant. They were SO yummy!

CARAMEL SHORTBREAD
    BASE:
    1 1/4 c. flour
    1/2 c. butter
    2 tbsp. sugar

CARAMEL FILLING:
    1/2 c. butter
    3/4 c. soft brown sugar
    2 tbsp. corn syrup
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 can sweetened condensed milk

TOPPING:
    1/2 pkg. semi-sweet chocolate squares
    Base: Blend butter and sugar until smooth. Add the flour and rub to a crumbly consistency; continue until a smooth paste is formed. Press mixture into a greased 9 x 9 inch pan, prick well with a fork (through to bottom) and bake in 300 degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.Filling: Place all ingredients (except vanilla) in saucepan and melt slowly. Bring to the boil and stir for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, beat mix with spoon until it starts to thicken and cool slightly. Pour over shortbread base.
    Melt chocolate according to directions on package, pour over caramel mixture. When tray is cool cut into squares as desired. These can be frozen or kept for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Then, it could be this one:

RICH MAN'S SHORTBREAD
    1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
    4 1/2 tbsp. super fine sugar
    1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour

TOFFEE TOPPING:
    1/2 c. unsalted butter
    4 1/2 tbsp. corn syrup
    1/2 (14 oz.) can (2/3 c.) sweetened condensed milk (do not use evaporated milk)
    1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
    7 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
    To make Shortbread: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In small mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar at medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in flour with wooden spoon. Press into 10 x 6 x 1 1/2 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool in pan; set on rack.To make Toffee Topping: In heavy medium saucepan, combine butter, sugar, corn syrup, and condensed milk. Bring to boiling over medium- high heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla. Quickly pour over cooled shortbread, spreading evenly. Cool on rack at least 1 hour.
    To make Chocolate Glaze: In top of double boiler, melt chocolate. Pour over cooled Toffee Topping, spreading evenly. Cool on rack several hours until set. Cut in bars and serve.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Pecan Pie

Ingredients:
    3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup light corn syrup
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 tablespoons almond-flavored liqueur, such as Amaretto
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup pecans
    1 pie crust (9 inch size), unbaked or frozen
    Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, slightly beat eggs with a fork. Add sugar, corn syrup, butter, almond liqueur and vanilla; stir until blended. Stir in pecans. Pour into pie crust.

Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean and center of pie appears barely set.

Cool on wire rack.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

oh my.. completely forgot about this one...

and now that I´m on a baking mood.. haha.. I´ve made a few cakes I got recipe from the web..a few were yuck.. a few good.. but some were soooo good..

anyway.. here´s a pie one from me... super easy..

Lemon pie

1 philadelphia cream cheese bar (190 gr)
    1 can of condensed milk (lechera)
    1/2 can of evaporated milk
    5-6 lemons (juice) (green small ones not yellow big ones)

blend everything and pour to some graham premade crusts.. refrigerate and voilá.. now eat.. yummy..

you can make two of these out of those measurements.. or one reaaaaally at the top and a few mixture left.. I´d make two.. they won´t last long here.. hehehe
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Like me, some of you love marcipan. Here's another recipe with marcipan. I have not made it yet, but I do wonder if you can use normal mashed potaoes - I have never ever used instant mashed potatoes and I can't imagine why you would do that.

I've had these in Spain, they're SO yummy, but I think they're sold only at Easter and only in certain parts of Spain.

Panellets de Pinyones

Ingredients:

2 1/4 pounds of raw almonds ( 1 Kg )
    2 1/4 pounds of sugar
    1 box of instant mashed potatoes (dry)
    1 egg
    pine nuts

Mash the almonds. Put in a big bowl the mashed almonds, make a hole in the center and add the sugar to the hole. Prepare the mashed potatoes with 2 glasses of almost boiling water and the contents of the box. Pour it (very hot to mix easily ) on top of the sugar and mix everything together until you get a compact paste. Let it rest until the paste is cold. Form the paste into little balls (about 1 inch diameter), soak them with beaten egg, roll them in the pine nuts until covered. Bake at 375 F, 8-10 minutes. You can change the flavors, adding to the paste shredded coconut, instant coffee, cocoa...

Last edited by Randi; 08-30-2010 at 12:03 PM.

I made this Tosca cake today with lots of almonds, it's SO yummy. There are 12 slices and I hope it freezes well.

Anyone want the recipe? If so, I'll translate it tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Randi; 04-03-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I made this Tosca cake today with lots of almonds, it's SO yummy, but a bit pricey. There are 12 slices and I hope it freezes well.

Anyone want the recipe? If so, I'll translate it tomorrow.
    Yes please. It looks delish. I love anything with almonds.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Husky Mom, you add butter to melt marshmallows for Rice Crispie Treats. Or corn flake treats. With the cornflake ones, we used to add green food coloring and shape them like wreaths for the holidays!
    Claudia

OK, this is the Tosca cake and it's really yummy and quite easy! Especially if you buy ready made almond flour.

Tosca cake

120 gram butter (room temperature)
    250 sugar
    4 eggs
    250 gram almond flour (you can blend that yourself)
    130 gram wheat flour
    1 tsp. baking powder

Mix flour, almond flour and baking powder.

Whip softened butter and sugar until white (I didn't whip that long, though) in a large bowl. Stir in two eggs at a time and mix well, then fold the flour mixture in.

Glazing:

80 gram butter
    80 gram sugar
    1 tsp. honey
    80 gram almond flakes

Put this in a pot and boil for a few min. until it's all melted. Let it cool off a bit.

I poured the doug into one of these:
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/SpringForm.htm
    ... but you can use another kind.

Smear the glazing on top of the dough and bake until it bubbles and is light golden (175 Celsius = low) for about 30 min. or until a knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean and center of pie appears barely set.

Serve with whipped cream, or creme fraice 30%.

Enjoy!

Hint: You might want to use 240 g of sugar, rather than 250 g. Btw, it freezes well.
    Last edited by Randi; 04-03-2011 at 12:13 PM.

I have a former medical director who did his residency at Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans. He introduced us to a yummy sweet treat, Mardi Gras King Cake! YUM! It is a sweet cinnamon dough, sort of like a Cinnabon roll but not sticky. Then an icing of powdered sugar, water and a little lemon juice. Then granulated sugar, colored yellow, purple and green for Mardi Gras. He told us that in New Orleans, they hide a tiny plastic baby in the cake, and the person who gets the piece with the baby will have good luck for the year. I'm going to try making one for the gang at work but without the baby.

I saw this recipe on the Web... it's like the Chicago version of king cake (source: blog.nola.com)---

1 can refrigerated cinnamon rolls, with icing

Purple, green and gold sugars

Separate the cinnamon rolls and roll them out by hand so each looks like a hot dog. Pinch together into a ring. Shape the roll into an oval, pinch the ends together, and place on a cookie sheet. Cook as directed.

Ice the tops with the white icing and sprinkle with the sugars, alternating as you go around the oval.

I wish I had time to make a sweet dough. Should have done it yesterday.

Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Scones

I just watched the British Bake-off. This was called "Tea Party." One contestant made scones with raisins in, but I hate raisins in cake.

Years ago I had a 7-eleven scone that I really liked, do you know them? They're not too sweet. Have you ever made scones yourself?

I found some recipes here - which would you go for?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=scones

I found a recipe for a cake I really liked in Spain, I didn't know sweet potaos were used. Anyway, here it is and a link:
    http://www.lausundaycooks.com/delici...sweets-recipe/

170 gr. almond flour
    150 gr. sweet potato
    130 gr. sugar
    2 eggs
    200 gr. pinenuts

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Place the sweet potatoes in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil.
    2. Cook until the sweet potatoes are tender.
    3. Using a masher, mash the sweets potatoes and let it cool.
    4. In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potato with almond flour and sugar.
    5. Mix well using your hands.
    6. Add an egg and continue mixing all the ingredients together until you get a consistent dough.
    7. Using a teaspoon, scoop to form the dough into balls.
    8. Then, roll the balls in the pinenuts.
    9. Separate the yolk egg from the white egg
    10. Brush the top of each ball with egg yolk
    11. Preheat the oven to 180*C / 350*F
    12. Line a baking tray and grease with butter.
    13. Place the panellets leaving 1 cm between them.
    14. Bake for about 10 minutes, then grill top for about 3 minutes until golden.
    15. Serve with a glass of muscatel. Bon apetit!

There are lots of youtube videos of how to make them, just type in "panellets." The ones I've watched are in Spanish, but perhaps Richard can translate. Apparently, some make them without the potatoes.
    Last edited by Randi; 08-30-2017 at 10:20 AM.