Thread: Cannon S5 Question

Cannon S5 Question

I know I should just read my book that came with my camera.. but truth be told... my dog ate it. For real.

Here's my question:
    When I use the sports setting my pictures are grainy.
    Here's are a few examples:

Is this the best I'm going to get out of the sports setting??
    Or am I being too picky.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I find sport mode is grainy....

what I found useful is using it on manual mode.... and just settign the shutter speed higher so it´s faster.... but you´ll have to adjust the aperture also....

or you can just use the Tv mode, set a spedd of 150-200 which is pretty good.... but you can try different speeds....fo different needs.... and tv will adjust the aperture but you might need the flash in certain shots.......
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I don't know much about the camera in question, but the reason you are getting grainy pics is because the pics are indoors. Sportsmode automatically sets the camera at a high shutter speed, and indoors there is not enough light for such a high shutter speed. You would need to widen the aperature to let more light in. I don't know if that's possible on this camera. Also the flash doesn't go off in sportsmode.
    You would get really clear pics outdoors in good light with that mode.

*Thanks Ashley*

Quote Originally Posted by Shelteez2
    I don't know much about the camera in question, but the reason you are getting grainy pics is because the pics are indoors. Sportsmode automatically sets the camera at a high shutter speed, and indoors there is not enough light for such a high shutter speed. You would need to widen the aperature to let more light in. I don't know if that's possible on this camera. Also the flash doesn't go off in sportsmode.
    You would get really clear pics outdoors in good light with that mode.
    actually I´ve taken outside pics in sports and they still come out grainy...

yes you can adjust the aperture speed... using it in av or manual modes....

but it´s better to play around and see what best fits your needs.... maybe a 350 speed and 3.5 aperture is too much... sometimes 125 speed does the trick....sometimes 600 or even 1200 speed... but it really depends on what you ´ll like your pics to come up as....

example with higher speed you can get flowing water to look freeze on mid air.. while lower may seem as it is flowing and leaving a "trace cast"
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I have a canon S3 so I hope I can help.

Sports mode is mostly for outdoors like biking, racing ect...

I'd use auto for those indoor shots & put the ISO up to high or 200 if you must.

Don't put the ISO on too high or your photos will end up grainy unless it's outdoors.

Like said you may also adjust the shutter speed on other modes but you might have to read about it first.

I don't have that camera but have a Canon A75 and Canon Rebel XT, so I'd imagine it would also have a Manual mode. If that's the case, try playing around in that mode instead of using the sports setting.

It's likely your ISO is set to a higher number. If you were to use ISO 100 instead of ISO 400, your pictures would be less grainier but also darker. To make up for the darkness, you will have to lower your shutter speed and pick a lower aperture number (for example, F/2.8 instead of F/8). You can only lower your shutter speed so much before everything is a blur, however. And there's only so many choices for apertures. If things are still dark, you *may* have to bump up the ISO to something like 200 but but that's a heck of a lot better than 400.

You can also use flash so that you can lower your ISO without having to worry about playing around with the other settings.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Were you using the highest resolution settings your camera has? (Large/Fine)

Most likely the grainyness (called noise in digital) is from using a high ISO. Using any of the pre programed modes on the camera lets the camera 'read' the light and set it's own settings based on what it 'sees' giving you no control over what it chooses. That's why those settings are called automatic settings.

In a consumer grade point & shoot digital camera the ISO at 400 is VERY grainy. If you were using a DSLR (XT, XTI etc) then ISO 400 is very acceptable even up to ISO 800. The difference is the size of the sensors in the digital cameras, a DLSR has a larger sensor, just one reason among many, they cost a bit more.

I also have the S3 (very similar to your S5) which has a supposed MP rating of 8 and my XTi has a MP rating of 10. Until I actually did some test shots I just figured the XTi was a small jump in MP, I was WAY wrong. The differences in the way the sensors do resolution is no comparison, the XTi far surpases the S3 when it comes to ISO noise. Let's put it this way a ISO of 400 on my XTi looks better than the ISO 200 on my S3.

If you do alot of sports shooting I'd recommend you use flash and a lower ISO setting. You can't do that in sports mode you'll need to use the (P) program setting so you can change your ISO yourself, you'll also need to set your own white balance too. The camera will take care of the shutter speed and aperature for you based on the lighting.

If you can't use your flash at the sporting events or you don't like the results (usually alot of flash fall off, black backgrounds, or some people overexposed while others you can barely see) then you have a few choices....

1) learn to live with the noise/grain and be happy with being able to get the pix you need, and those you posted seem fine even with the noise.

2) try one of those noise reducing programs available online for free then see if you can fix some of the noise in the pix in your computer.

3) upgrade to even the entry level DSLR's that have much better sensors and the options of later buying additional lenses that are made for low light to get even better pix.

As a general rule sports photography is one of the most expensive ones to do because of the cost of the 'faster' lenses. However as long as you are not way far from the action there is a lens available for Nikon and Canon that cost under $100 that is great for low lighting (50mm f/1.8).

BTW you can get the manual for the S5 HERE

There are two manuals, the basic and the advanced. You can download both to your computer as PDF files then you'll always have them.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Holy CRAP my head's spinning after reading those replies.
    I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to this stuff (as you all can tell I'm sure)

I'm going to have to print these replies off and sit down with my camera and figure out what you all just said. LOL!
    Thank you all for the info!!

Thanks catlady for the link to the manual!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9
    Thanks catlady for the link to the manual!
    NP

You might also want to try THIS site. It's a good site on the basics of using a digital camera and some simple tips on how to make your pix better. I started hubby out on this site while teaching him photography. He's easily confused by camera technicalities and he loved the site.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I have the S3...I found it grainy when I first got it too..I'm honestly now sure what I did to fix that lol

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9
    Holy CRAP my head's spinning after reading those replies.
    LOL, I felt the same way, Angie. I am always looking for tips on ways to take better pictures with my two little point and shoot cameras, but I didn't understand a thing the ladies were saying. I do think I will take a look at that new link Catlady posted, it looks like it starts out simple.