Thread: Kitty litter

Kitty litter

I have been using Fresh Step kitty litter for quite awhile, but the other day seen that Fresh Step now makes scoopable kitty litter. Has anyone used that - I would like to find a brand of kitty that is both scoopable and controls odors.

I use Fresh Step scoopable and would recommend it highly.

Fresh Steps a good litter but not as available in Canada!
    I use Kozy Kitty Litter as its the best priced 6 dollars for 44 pounds and its a fairly good litter!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I used Fresh Step scoopable for 7 years until they changed the formula. I thought it smelled like a dirty kitty box fresh out of the box and even worse once the cats used it. I called the comany and they seemed to think it was a better formula. I ended up switching to Arm & Hammer Multi Cat scoopable. I've been using it now for about 6-7 years and am perrrfectly happy with it.

Only thing I miss is the Fresh Step came in a nice plastic bucket with a lid that was very useful for lots of things around the house. I'm still using some of the older buckets yet. The A&H only comes in cardboard boxes.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    I used Fresh Step scoopable for 7 years until they changed the formula.
    Only thing I miss is the Fresh Step came in a nice plastic bucket with a lid that was very useful for lots of things around the house. I'm still using some of the older buckets yet. The A&H only comes in cardboard boxes.
    I used to use ScoopAway until they changed their formula. That's when I switched to Fresh Step and I like it much better than original ScoopAway. I couldn't use the cedar. One kitty I had was allergic to it. I didn't like the smell of that one either.

I love the buckets too. One of my friends will only buy the boxes even though they cost a little more because she doesn't know what to do with the buckets. I put cat food in them. That way they can't rip into the bags. I also use them for gardening and lots of other things.

I like the paw points program as well.
    Last edited by Moesha; 02-02-2008 at 07:32 PM.

I have never liked scoop away I think it had horrible odor control. I recently went from Feline Pine to Fresh Step scoopaway. It clumps nice and has great odor control!

I like the paw points program as well.
    What's the paws program?

Critter Mom to: Zoe-Rott/Pit Mix, Chloe- Persian, Lisa & Lola-Hermit Crabs, COMING SOON Pinky Pie-Cornsnake

In the last 3 months at work we've seen 3 cats with allergies to Scoop Away which resulted in itching, scabs and hair loss. I don't know if it was a specific formula or just the brand itself, or just these particular cats. I've just never seen this many litter allergies so close together from the same name brand of litter before.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklecoon
    What's the paws program?
    On marked boxes or in buckets of Fresh Step there is a code. You register online at www.freshstep.com and enter the code and you collect points for merchandise or coupons or free litter.

I use Tidy Cats Immediate Odor Control Scoopable and to me it smells like lilacs. I don't even have to add litter freshener to the boxes.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I've tried many many natural and scoopable litters and now I'm using unscented litter. My cats also prefer this. It seems like all of the new and improved formulas are just too strongly scented these days and if I think it's too strong then I know it's even stronger to my cats.

Ever since I had peeing issues I've switched to Dr. Elsey's Ultra Precious Cat Litter in my uncovered boxes and I also use Premium Choice Extra Strength With Baking Soda Crystals in my 2 covered boxes. Both are unscented and clump very well and there's very little dust. I scoop twice a day and there's no odor unless one of the cats has just recently done a big poo.

I recently switched to Arm & Hammer. I use either the Multi-cat or Super Scoop (I think that's what it's called!). The cats seem to like it better---I sure do. The cost over Walmart's brand is almost double, but I don't have to change it as often. With 12 boxes, it gets to be both time consuming and expensive. I did notice that there was quite a bit of dust when I pour it into the litter box. It clumps well and smells good for a long time, up to 2 weeks with twice-a-day scooping.

Only Joey has accidents now, and that's a whole different issue!

To Moesha / RE kitty litter

Thanks for posting about the paws program - I have never heard anything about it, but will check into it. I have seen an expensive brand with crystals in it at stores, but have never used that. My cats absolutely have to have a clean litter box, or I find little surprises around (usually close to the litter box).

Quote Originally Posted by nancys
    Thanks for posting about the paws program - I have never heard anything about it, but will check into it. I have seen an expensive brand with crystals in it at stores, but have never used that. My cats absolutely have to have a clean litter box, or I find little surprises around (usually close to the litter box).
    Try to avoid the ones with heavy amounts of crystals or those bags of just crystals that you add to litter. We've seen some HORRIBLE allergies to those things. One cat almost died from the severity of the allergy and a couple others lost almost all their fur until we got the cause eliminated.