Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared for my son. Please help w/comments *Update 4/16*

I had something similar when I was doing a lot of weights and hard landscaping alone (pick-axing and moving boulders, etc.) but it was in one leg. I could barely feel my hand when I touched it, it felt weak, etc. Scare the heck out of me. Turned out that I'd hurt my back, so hopefully this is the problem your son has also. Best wishes to both of you.

He just called me and said that they started an IV on him and are doing blood work now. He said that he's weak all over now and couldn't even sit up from the exam table on his own; he had to be helped up. He still says he has no pain, just weakness. I asked him tons of questions: are you having vision or speech problems? No. Are you having pain in your shoulders or upper arms? No. He said that his abdomen feels like he's done 80,000 sit-ups but he didn't do any sit-ups during his workout because he was already feeling weak. His hands are beginning to swell, too, now.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

He probably pulled a nerve or something that's making his arm weak.

What ever you do don't read things on the internet, they'll freak you out.

Yes they sound true but a doctor is the way too go.

I'm sure he'll be ok.

Goodness sakes, you must be scared out of your wits for him. Let's just pray that it is a bad case of the flu - and he can recover completely.

My prayers will be offered for you and your son.

Well, he's out there in LA and I'm here in Ohio. I'm trying to stay calm but it ain't easy.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Oh how scary for the both of you! I hope that the it's nothing serious, just the flu or something like that.

My dad had something odd like that a year and a half ago. He had numbness/weakness in his arms and legs, then his joints swelled up, and he had to have fluid removed. There was a rash as well, and a fever. The doctors had no idea what it was. They ran so many tests, but nothing was conclusive. He wasn't able to work in his garden, go fishing or anything. The only thing anyone could think of was that it was auto-immune. He hasn't had a recurrence to date that I know of, but it lasted for months.

Lots of healing thoughts and prayers going out for your son.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    Well, he's out there in LA and I'm here in Ohio. I'm trying to stay calm but it ain't easy.
    As you can tell, I am in Los Angeles (but I was born and raised in Ohio)

Please p/m me if there is anything that I can do from here. Do you know the name of the hospital that he is in?

MANY prayers!!!

Thoughts and prayers for you and your son.

For sure it isn't Guillan Barre--my cousin came down with it last year and the pain was horrific and it does start in the legs. He's starting to move again and uses a wheelchair but it might take another year to walk fully by himself. The only other thing I can think of is maybe M.S., the symptoms vary so much from person to person it's hard to tell. For yours and his sake I hope it's something more benign.

I can certainly see why you would be alarmed. The arm symptoms sounded like paresthesias/neuropathic type symptoms which can have a lot of causes, but the progressive weakness and absence of any pain make a traumatic or repetitive motion injury seem less likely. He will be in my prayers, I hope the doctors are able to find some answers soon.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by shepgirl
    Guillan Barre does start in the legs.
    According to webmd, it can reverse and start in the arms as well, although it is rare. He insists that he isn't in any pain, though, so it may not be.

I'm so sorry about your cousin. I'm glad he's on the road to recovery.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Dear Mary, saying prayers for you and your son for his good health and rapid recovery from whatever is going on here. I'm glad he is getting medical care. I'm wondering too if perhaps he pushed himself a bit too far with the weight-lifting; seems to me I've heard of other such cases.

Love, Purrs, and Hugs,
    Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, Pat, and Priscilla Angel
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Still praying for your son.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    My dad had something odd like that a year and a half ago. He had numbness/weakness in his arms and legs, then his joints swelled up, and he had to have fluid removed. There was a rash as well, and a fever. The doctors had no idea what it was. They ran so many tests, but nothing was conclusive. He wasn't able to work in his garden, go fishing or anything. The only thing anyone could think of was that it was auto-immune. He hasn't had a recurrence to date that I know of, but it lasted for months.
    Auto-immune response was the first thing that popped into my head when the second set of symptoms was listed. I wouldn't think MS because those symptoms generally crop up over time whereas this is very sudden and rather overwhelming.

Are you looking into flying out to L.A.? It might make you feel better if you are "doing" something.