Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well, what are you going to do with your rebate?

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled
    Who knows what this tax rebate will actually end up being (besides a bigger deficit that we will have to pay down)
    That was my thinking. I can't see how this will make but a blip of a difference in the economy.

What would have made a difference was keeping a tighter rein on the regulations with which money was lent out by banks. Then there wouldn't be all these foreclosures and drop in the value of houses which has in turn caused the crisis. It was so obvious that lending money with no down payment to people who previously didn't qualify at rates that would soon go up to kazoo was a recipe for disaster.

As for what I do with the money, it won't be any different from what I do with any money I earn, put it in the bank until I need to pay some bill with it. My house is worse than a kid going to college.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I heard Donald Trump say that he would probably buy a bar of soap with it. I know he was joking because he won't qualify for it, but he probably does spend ridiculous amount of money on everyday things like that. It is hard for me to comprehend people with that kind of wealth.
    It's hard for me to comprehend people spending that kind of money on little things, like soap, even if they do have it. For that kind of money the soap should wash and iron your clothes as well as give you a bath!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces
    It's hard for me to comprehend people spending that kind of money on little things, like soap, even if they do have it. For that kind of money the soap should wash and iron your clothes as well as give you a bath!!!
    Heck, with THAT kind of money not only should it wash and iron your clothes as well as give you a bath, it should also balance your checkbook, walk the dog, and take the kids to school!

facebook

i heard about this one while talking to my dad, and so if it does pass, i am going to BUY AMERICAN ... NOT, i am going to update and upgrade all my pets, which the all need very badly... we as a couple would get 1200 and 300 for our child. wait, do the twins count too? if they do i would get 900 for my children and 1200 for us. mmm.

but, back to reality, i for one do not think that by giving away money, it will help the economy one bit. i mean, most of us buy stuff that is NOT made in america, we drive cars that are NOT made in America, the only thing we do that is american is GO INTO DEBT!!! so, i dont think it will help one dang ol bit.

but, hey free money is free money.
    1 lab/GSD mix pup, Thunder
    1 lab whippet mix, Cinni
    the Flock: Lovebird,peppermint; 2 finches, Lilo & stitch
    The Aquatics: 4 Red eared sliders, Mikey, Ralphie, SPunky, Baby "T". YBS, Capt Jack Sparrow, 4 Goldfish, Golden,AJ, BJ, Silver Scrappy Doo. 2 ADF;s, BigButt & Kermie. 2 Tertra's UK. 1 new GF scooby doo.
    The little furBabies: 2 dwarf hamsters, Snow,Cinderella.
    RIP Little Jasmine Dwarf Hamster. 2/20/2008
    Wife to: Jeremy, 34
    Mother to: 13 yr old son, Brady
    MTB: a boy and girl TBD on names

Might I remind everybody that this is not free money. Its being taken from you in tax form as we speak and will continue to be taken to make up for this spending.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    Might I remind everybody that this is not free money. Its being taken from you in tax form as we speak and will continue to be taken to make up for this spending.
    They are not talking about your tax returns but in addition to your return you will be getting extra money from the government this year. That is my understanding, anyway.

facebook

Well I won't lie the money would be great, it has passed now. But I do not like the fact that all of this money is going to be added on to our national deficit!!!!!!!!! Jump starting the economy???? Please that must be a joke that they think is funny....it certainly will not happen.
    But mine will go towards cc bill.

Would it be wrong to take a trip to Toronto and spend it all there? JK!

I think the money will probably go to the kitchen or bathroom renos. Nothing too fun though there is an overly expenssive Coach purse I've been eyeing...

Critter Mom to: Zoe-Rott/Pit Mix, Chloe- Persian, Lisa & Lola-Hermit Crabs, COMING SOON Pinky Pie-Cornsnake

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I think it is silly to think that handing out money will help the conomy enough to turn it around, with so many Americans in so much debt - and whose money is it? It's our tax dollars in the first place. They would just be taking from us to give it to us. All political hoooey, in my humble opinion. It's not like they are giving us money from some huge government surplus, instead the government itself is in record deficit territory. Do they think we're all dumb enough to forget that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    That was my thinking. I can't see how this will make but a blip of a difference in the economy.

What would have made a difference was keeping a tighter rein on the regulations with which money was lent out by banks. Then there wouldn't be all these foreclosures and drop in the value of houses which has in turn caused the crisis. It was so obvious that lending money with no down payment to people who previously didn't qualify at rates that would soon go up to kazoo was a recipe for disaster.

As for what I do with the money, it won't be any different from what I do with any money I earn, put it in the bank until I need to pay some bill with it. My house is worse than a kid going to college.

I agree with both of you!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

The Senate just passed a revised bill:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080207/economy_stimulus.html
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

i really don't think this rebate will work in stimulating the us economy. i have a question for economic majors or economists....IF the federal government were to sell bonds specifically for highway restoration and renovation, not in the major urban areas, and specified in the contracts that the work was to be done by small business and to hire economically disadvantaged young women and men to learn skilled trades would that stimulate local and regional economic growth?. this type of highway bonds would be a stable investment return for investors. i know this is a lot of hypotheticals, but if people do work that improves and repairs a crumbling infrastructure in their community/region and and they get wages, the people gain job skills and spend money and the region/community gains better roads and bridges. something along lines of the WPA of the great depression.( this is an idea we've been discussing here at home...)
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

The theory behind that strategy would work quite well. But there are few small businesses that can do road work on any major scale. Unfortunately it would also likely cost more than the stimulus package now being passed and the young people might now want to work in that kind of a job. It is hard, hot, dirty work that not everyone is willing to do. But the idea of some kind of WPA is very good if investors are willing to settle for the interest rate on the bonds, versus the potential for making vast sums of money on the stock market.