Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I left the vets office crying!

Kittycrazy, personally, I think you went above and beyond! And, you're right about not talking to her about keeping the cat indoors, etc. You only had so much time and given the circumstances, you had to be careful. I think you did great and I would release it now.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

What an experience to have to go through. And certainly what a saint you are for paying for that poor cats medications.
    What a horrid, shallow woman that girl must be to do that to her cat and not even care about the pain she could be putting him through.
    Thankfully declawing is illegal here in Britain, and so it bloody should be in the US.
    Something good came out of this situation, in that you were able to help that poor cat, may his pain forever be on her head.

If you have posh furninture then don't get a get a cat , simple as
    If you don't want things scratched, fur everywhere, and a smelly house sometimes, don't get cats!
    Grrr people make me mad they really do

Quote Originally Posted by CultureJunky
    Thankfully declawing is illegal here in Britain, and so it bloody should be in the US.
    AMEN to that!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Thank You, Michelle!!!

Yeah I totally see why someone would have mixed feelings because if you can't de-claw then they homeless and if you can then their mutilated. It honestly sound like a no-win situation. I think people need to be more educated, it should be illeagal. Most people who de-claw their pets are either uneucated or just inhumane. I think they should pass a law that anyone who wants the surgery should watch a live video of how its done and have more advertisment of alternet ways of providing protection. Might I ask how harmful are cats claws anyways, most cats aren't just going to randomly attack someone, inless their being playful they don't know what their doing. If de-clawing prosedure goes wrong you could physically scar and deform your cat for life, even though de-clawing is a type of deforming a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tora Oni
    Yeah I totally see why someone would have mixed feelings because if you can't de-claw then they homeless and if you can then their mutilated. It honestly sound like a no-win situation. I think people need to be more educated, it should be illeagal. Most people who de-claw their pets are either uneucated or just inhumane. I think they should pass a law that anyone who wants the surgery should watch a live video of how its done and have more advertisment of alternet ways of providing protection. Might I ask how harmful are cats claws anyways, most cats aren't just going to randomly attack someone, inless their being playful they don't know what their doing. If de-clawing prosedure goes wrong you could physically scar and deform your cat for life, even though de-clawing is a type of deforming a cat.
    yes i realize that I'll probably get flamed for this, but I don't really care.

The first bolded part REALLY offended me. We've always gotten our cats declawed, so does that mean I'm inhumane? My mom's always made the call and yes she did know how it was done. 6 of our 7 cats have been declawed, and not ONE of them have had any problems from it. Are we just amazingly lucky, or is it less dangerous then you guys have been making it seem?

Thats all for now :]

I don't want to hi-jack this thread (a little late, eh?) so and I don't want it to turn into a fight of whether declawing is right or wrong..so please, if you have problems with my post, pm me.
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorxMyxLove
    not ONE of them have had any problems from it. Are we just amazingly lucky, or is it less dangerous then you guys have been making it seem?
    I'm not going to flame you over this but I do want to explain my viewpoint...since you asked! It's not just a matter of them having problems with it afterwards.....I'm sure many don't. In fact, my current 4 yr. old cat is declawed because up until about 3 yrs. ago, no one had taken the time to explain to me how terrible and barbaric of a procedure this really is. When I paid for the pain medication for the girl's cat that she wasn't even going to provide for him, I noticed it said right in the info. about the pain meds that the cat would receive pain meds "before, DURING, and after" the procedure. That right there should tell you something. Putting a cat under anesthesia is NOT like putting a human under anesthesia for surgery. They still feel the pain of the first joint of their toes being cut off. Many cats, even though they are too paralyzed to be able to move will still let out a horrendous growl/moan/cry sound as each toe joint is being removed because of the excruciating, unbearable pain they are feeling. Because of this, some cats have endured such incredible agony that they will end up being mean, scared, and many other character traits they would not have had if it hadn't been for the torture they were subjected to. The pain they have after the surgery is no cake walk either and most declawed cats eventually suffer from very painful arthritis in their declawed feet when they are at or above 10 years.

I'd highly recommend you get further information from www.declawing.com and also do some YouTube searches for cat declawing and SEE first hand what is involved. I know once I did, I swore I'd NEVER do that to another poor kitty again and I feel so awful every time I look at my poor Molly and know that I let that happen to her.

Here is another site that will answer your questions about why so many of us are emphatic about NOT declawing.
    http://community-2.webtv.net/zuzu22/...clawtemporary/
    Last edited by KittyCrazy; 01-18-2008 at 10:08 PM.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Thank You, Michelle!!!

In fact, my current 4 yr. old cat is declawed because up until about 3 yrs. ago, no one had taken the time to explain to me how terrible and barbaric of a procedure this really is.
    I'm also guilty of stupdity. This was WAY before anyone explained the entire procedure to me. I had my oldest cat, Mollie Rose (15) declawed and have regretted it ever since. I'm lucky in that she's okay. No problems that usually come with declawing such as arthritis, litterbox problems, biting issues, etc. Would I ever do it again??? Heck no. I apologize to Mollie Rose all the time. She just looks at me like, "Whatever".

The United States is the ONLY country that still allows this barbaric procedure.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!