Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pray's Needed For Friends Kitten Merlin! Even Advice Would Be Great*UPDATE SO SAD*

Pray's Needed For Friends Kitten Merlin! Even Advice Would Be Great*UPDATE SO SAD*

Hi all,

A while back I wrote about a friend of mine and my husbands getting a kitten from a humane society.

Well about a week or so ago we were pet sitting for her and one time we stopped over at her place her kitten was holding his paw up. So we took him home with us so we could keep a better watch on him and we called a vet about him because he was just in a few days before she left for the same thing.

Well the vet said they didn't have any appts. till the following day so we took it and keep trying to get a hold of our friend Jenn and well we finally did and he started using his paws more throughout that evening so we didn't know if it was just for attention or not. Well the next day he seemed better other than the fact that I mentioned about him looking like he lost some weight well we thought that maybe it was anxiety from his mom being gone and she hasn't been gone this long from him.

Well we took him back to his house and he was doing fine...and finally Jenn came back and told Rob that he looked like he lost weight and I said I thought the same thing.

Well so she made a vet appt. for him a few days later because he became very lethargic and the vets ran a bunch of blood work on him and found out that he has a weak immune system and his iron is very low too.

So they put him on a bunch of meds (Jenn has a very weak immune system too and she takes meds for hers) and just about a week ago she had him back at the vets and the vet said she may need to make a decision about being PTS or not.

Well he made it through thank God and she called us over this weekend and said that she has to go out of town for 3 days and she needs us to watch Merlin (her kitten) so I went over last night because he need 2 meds and he need his temperature taken. Well I got the 2 meds in him and he was so skinny and just bones..poor guy...well then I had to take his temperature...it was 102.1 thank goodness.

So I was pretty upset seeing him like that last night and I tried to get him to eat a little bit and then I got on the phone with my husband to say how he was doing and he got up to go to the bathroom and I watched him and then he disappeared into the back bedroom and I couldn't find him before I left. I'm hoping he is okay. I'm going to stop over at her house today at my lunch hour and then again after work to check on him and then probably after I get my husband we'll go over and visit with him.

Please pray that he pulls through this and gets better. Right now I'm so worried about him.

Melissa
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 01-22-2008 at 09:01 PM.

I would have brought him home with me to keep a close eye on him. I hope the little baby does alright and gets over all this.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Well I would of taken him home last night but her dad comes in the morning to give him his AM meds (while Jenn is out of town) and spends some time with him so that's why we didn't move him. Plus we have her permission that if anything happens that we can take him to the vets ASAP without making an appt. for him.

Plus with me having 6 cats in a 1 bedroom apartment the only place I would be able to put him is in the bathroom and that gets pretty cold so it's best that he is there with his other feline friend Zoey.

What exactly did the vet say is wrong w/this cat? A weak immune system, yes, but is there more to the story? Prayers going out for his healing now.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Poor little guy. I sure hope he gets well soon and turns out to be a fat, lazy, healthy boy! If he continues to get worse and it doesn't seem like he will make it, I hope Jenn can make the right decision to lay him to rest so he doesn't have to suffer. I can imagine how horribly difficult that would be though.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Thank You, Michelle!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    What exactly did the vet say is wrong w/this cat? A weak immune system, yes, but is there more to the story? Prayers going out for his healing now.....
    Right now all I know is the vet said that he has an immune deficiency and that he has low iron but he's on supplements for that.

Oh the poor thing!
    I hope he gets better soon!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Well I just saw him at lunch time and he seemed more awake then last night and I got him to eat less than 1/2 can of canned food but he seemed more interested in it. So I'm going over after work to give him more food and then I'll go over later this evening to give him is pills as well.

You are a very good friend to take such good care of Baby Merlin while your friend is out of town. Probably not a good idea to expose your crew to whatever is wrong with Merlin. Many prayers for this special Baby...
    Nine is Fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by kb2yjx
    You are a very good friend to take such good care of Baby Merlin while your friend is out of town. Probably not a good idea to expose your crew to whatever is wrong with Merlin. Many prayers for this special Baby...
    Yeah I don't think I would of even thought of that. I care about animals greatly and she knows it so she always feel comfortable leaving her cats with me but I feel in some way maybe I could of prevented it by taking him to the vets even though he seemed better that following day....it's hard to say what I could of prevented maybe...

The Pet Angel Mommas Are With That Poor Baby Now, Giving Him Strength So He Can Grow Into A Big Strong Cat.
    All Of The Found Cats, Porch Cats And Angels And I Are Praying That He Can Get Through This Rough Start In Life.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I wonder if the 'weak immune system' with anemia is FIV or FIA? Do you know if they tested for those things?

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/fiv.html

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1692

Whatever the cause is, I hope the meds kick in and bring this kitty back up to full health and soon!!!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I stopped by after work to see Merlin and he was just so cute last night after work. He actually came up onto my shoulder and lay down and started to PURR!!!!

I was so happy (Jenn tells me that's where he loves to lay) and I just sat there with him on me and petted him and loved on him and I also got him to eat more too!!!!

So later that night Rob and I went over to Jenns and we gave him some food to start with and he ate again!! YIPPEEEE!!!

I was so glad I've got him to eat 3 times plus I'm sure her dad got him to eat in the morning as well.

We got his meds in him and we also took his temp again and it was 99.7 which seemed a little low but not that much. So after that was over I gave him some more food and I sat on the couch and he came right over and jumped on my shoulder and layed there and he didn't purr this time but I was so happy that he was moving around.

I'm going over today at lunch time to see him again and give him more food and love on him and then his mom will be home this evening.

Please continue to pray for him he really needs them since he's so skinny right now.

He was tested when he was young for FIV/FELV combo test and it was negative but that's when he was at the Humane Society and according to the vets he could of given a false negative but for now I think the vet thinks it was a blood parasite.

I was reading the one website you put up and he is on doxycycline liquid and a supplement as well as prednisone right now too.

I really wonder if this is what he has if so I hope he pulls through. He's just so little right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    I wonder if the 'weak immune system' with anemia is FIV or FIA? Do you know if they tested for those things?

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/fiv.html

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1692

Whatever the cause is, I hope the meds kick in and bring this kitty back up to full health and soon!!!

Okay I need everyones prays big time for this little guy Merlin.

I talked with Jenn on this past friday night and the vet thinks they might be missing something now and it's cost $140 each time to test his blood.

The vet did said that he did gain 1 lb. but he is still very low on his blood.

Please pray that they find something to cure him!

He's just a baby...please.