Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? on Tail Cropping

? on Tail Cropping

We just got a Doberman/Rottwieller mix she is almost 4 months old and she does not have her tail cropped. Is it to late to get it done or can we still do it?

I would recomend NOT getting it done. This is my own opionion, and others might be different. The vets just chop the tail off, and do not give any pain killers. Your dog is perfectly fine with it's tail, and the only reason ppl get them docked is for show. I think it's cruel, and unless you've heard the screams of a pup getting its tail docked, then you wouldn't really know. Maybe it's different there, and t hey put them under, I don't know. I don't mean anything rude, thats just my own opinion...

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I do not believe in the tail croppoing, leave him the way God made him.

Why would you want to? I think it's totally cruel.
    I think if it's not for health reasons then it's a totally selfish thing and you should be ashamed. Poor pup.

Re: ? on Tail Cropping

I think tail docking is done
    on certain breeds of dogs before they are 1 week old.

I say, don't even think about it and go natural.

----<---<--<{(@

I agree. I think that it would hurt your pup, but the vet might not do anything about that.

I agree, do not crop unless there is a medical reason for it.

I recently help with a transport of 2 deaf danes, one's tail was cropped, the other needed his cropped for medical reasons. The tails on both dogs were splitting, and draining a little blood.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Re: Re: ? on Tail Cropping

Originally posted by KYS
    I think tail docking is done on certain breeds of dogs before they are 1 week old.
    I think I remember reading somewhere that tail docking is preformed at 3-4 days old. The reason the book gave was something along the lines of "the pups are too young to remember the experience." (just that in itself, makes it sound WAY painful, huh?)

I sometimes wonder WHY the don't give painkillers. I assume it's because they are so young. It seems like at 4mnths, they would be able to administer pain killers which might help to ease the dog's discomfort.

If you do have it done, make sure to ask questions...there is a RIGHT and a WRONG way to dock tails.

I have a boxer, her tail is docked. I don't know the age at which it was done but we got her at 8wks of age.

Thank you all for your comments and opinions. It was a very big help. This is our first experience with a doberman and all the pictures and dobermans that we have seen have been docked. I have read that there tails have been docked all the way up to 4 years of age. So that really confused us. She would be put under for the procedure but we really didn't want to put her through it. There were vets saying they would do it and vets saying they won't so that really confused us so I wanted to ask you all.

Just to let you all know we are not going to dock the tail and thank you all again for your comments it was a big help
    (We really aren't cruel people)

What? No crop or dock?

Honey, with a Doberman, you're probably going to hear how "odd" your dog looks if you don't crop its ears and dock its tail.

When people would try to defend the practice by telling me that, I'd ask them if they'd dock & crop a Rottie? Probably not. Why not? Same coloring - black & tan. Or a black & tan dachshund? Now imagine either of those two cropped and docked. Can you do it without laughing? I can't (especially the dach). And, when the ears are being trained, how odd does that wadded piece of gauze look taped to their ears? It still looks like a feminine hygiene product to me. How "dignified" does that look? Especially on a BOY dog.

These types of inhumane practices remain standards as long as we LET them. By not bowing to the pressure you're taking a very important and special step and should be proud of yourself.

I'd love to see pics!

Re: What? No crop or dock?

Originally posted by Vi Co Bi
    Honey, with a Doberman, you're probably going to hear how "odd" your dog looks if you don't crop its ears and dock its tail.
    WHO CARES??? If people do not like how someones dog loks because it does not lok like every other dog then forget them.

Now about the subject. I wouldn't do it. Why waste the money on something that could put the dog threw pain? Why not just keep her how she is. She will be unique. And what's better then seeing your pup's tail wag as you talk to him/her or when you walk in the door?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Hey, I have an AKC boxer. Her tail is cropped, (which I don't like, but it was done way before I got her) however her ears are natural, which are staying that way. Anyway, what I was going to say is that Missie is always trying to play with her tail, but nothing is there!!! I always feel so sorry for her. She has gotten to where she will go and play with Belle's tail. I wish they had never cropped it, and if I ever get another one, I'm hoping I can get one without the tail cropped.
    My pets are usually pleased with what I do, because they are not inflected with the concept of what I SHOULD be doing. My time is owned by: Missie,Thor, and Trinity!

I'm sorry, but any normal person will NOT CARE! And any true dog lover will admire your disicion! The ONLY reason dobes, and rotties get tails docked is for SHOW, and thats it. God gave them tails for a reason, and I'm sorry with that person, but thats sooooo rediculous. Urg. I would get a dog with 3 legs, or something that make it look diffenent, ppl could think what they want, and I wouldn't care, I'd be happy to have the dogs. This isn't directed at anyone, I just can't believe any dog lover would look at a dobe mix and think it looks weird cause it has a tail. I've seen tons, and they're just as adorable :]

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I'm SO glad to hear you aren't going to do it.

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

I'm in the group of not cropping. We have a Weim that has his tail docked, but it was that way when we got him. Serenity has her tail docked because before we got her she had mange and had to be isolated and she mutilated it.

God made them they way they are for some reason...don't try and second guess the Big Guy.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!