Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
Unfortunately, it's true. Not one single reputable breeder will give a puppy to a pet store. You may not be supporting puppy mills, but you would be supporting backyard breeders who, in my book, are just as bad (if not worse) than puppy mills.

Some backyard breeders can be 90% better than puppymills, puppymills are TERRIBLE over 200 dogs in the property dying daily and owners not even caring. Did you know what some puppymills leave the dead dogs so the others would eat it? As disgusting as that sounds its true. Backyard breeders arent as bad as puppymills. Backyard breeders are people that breed their dogs without showing them or doing any health testing, and breed mutts sometimes, but that does not mean they DONT love their dogs. They are just too blind to see the true. Some BYB are families and have one or two dogs that get the care any of out dogs do, and sometimes are bred only once. They do get all shots and care needed and then sold for a fair price. Some pretty much BYB are persons who breed that DONT show, nor do health testings but dogs get the same LOVE any other dog does. And i know this because i have asked around many times. In the other hand puppymills are people who DONT know how many dogs they have, dogs dont get vet care at all, sometimes they dont get food, they sleep outside over 10 dogs per cage at once, breeding over and over again untill its death.

EDITED: SOME puppymills facts..
Bitches are bred from their first season, every season until they are about 4 years of age. Then they are physically and mentally unable to raise anymore puppies.

The bitches belly often drags on the floor - stretched by having all those puppies and not getting good quality food or exercise. Sometimes this is so bad they have to have a "tummy tuck" (that is if they get placed in a rescue).

If they are lucky they get taken in by a rescue, if not they might get clubbed over the head with a shovel (or kicked) or shot and fed (yes fed) to their fellow companions. They may even be turned loose on the mountains and die a slow painful death.

They never get any vet treatment, their puppies are taken away from them at 4/5 weeks of age.

The stud dogs never ever get any companionship - they are kept in isolation until a bitch is brought to them. Stud dogs are usually kept until they are 8 years old (if they produce enough offspring each litter) at 8 years old again they are physically and mentally worn out.

Bitches often have their front legs tied together when they are taken to the stud dog to prevent them from running away...

Food and water is scarce - usually being provided in meagre amounts when the bitch has to feed her puppies.

The stud dogs get the same fate as the bitches when they are finished with.

Both dogs and bitches find it difficult to walk - this is due to their muscles which have wasted away due to lack of exercise and a quality diet.

Most dogs never see the sun - they are kept in any container that can be found - caravans, sheds etc. Scorching hot in the summer, freezing cold in the winter.

The puppies are transported in overcrowded lorries to pet shops and "centres" - many puppies never make it - only the strongest survive. Those that do are riddled with worms, fleas etc.

Dogs that do make it out can be traumatised for life - never having walked on a lead or known the kindness of a human. Many have serious health problems, quite a few are blind due to ingrowing eyelids, overgrown hair or ulcers that were never treated.

After reading these i am glad puppies endup in petstores, even if it means people buying them. We CANT stop puppymills unless the goverment does something about it, so you might as well save them from torture.

I have NOT yet seen a BYB do this to any dog, nor have i found facts so chilling as these about them.