Thread: Decisions, decisions.....

Decisions, decisions.....

Lately, poor Max has trouble deciding which litterbox to use. I have two...one is a huge covered one and the other one is just a regular one. Lately and almost every evening he will wander into my spare room and stand in front of both boxes. He will first look at one, then the other, then back to the first one, then back to the other one. Then he will stick his head into the covered one and just stand there. Finally he backs away and uses the uncovered one. Sometimes if he has to do "both", he'll pee in one back, then jump in the other one to poo.

Those who know me, know that I'm very anal about clean litterboxes and when I'm home I scoop and flush right away. So it's important to note that Max is actually deciding which "clean" litterbox to use. The same litter is in both boxes and of course there are no other kitties in my household to spoil the smell. Not that I need to question this but it's a new behaviour that I've never seen before. Very strange, but I just can't help but laugh every time I see it.

A silly thread, I know but somehow I just know that he's not alone.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Slick, I know that Max is not a young lad anymore... do you think cats become a bit senile just like humans?

I sometimes think Fister behaves quite odd too, like sitting in the chair, face inwards like he's meditating - and every now and again, he will sit in a corner of the kitchen, facing the corner. Strange!!

I hope Max is doing well, give him some scritches from me.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Mitzi does the same thing. It's silly, isn't it? but they can't talk and tell us what they use for in their decision-making process

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Oh I see lots of "use this one for this, use that one for that" he hee. I notice the decision making otherwise, the boxes are in "spare" bedrooms. The hopping from one ot the other often occurs as i am going around cleaning and scooping. Then when I am finished, of course everyone HAS to christen the newly cleaned boxes.

At one time I had 5 litter boxes in my house with the 4 cats. They seem to ALL like the same box except for Boo. (she does not like a covered box).

If I were you, I would try moving that box to another room just to see if he will still do that. He may think that is what they are there for and don't want to hurt your feelings... They are such funny little creatures.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Filou and Tigris also like to have a choice. Between two open and clean litterboxes that is. So since some time we have a third one

I HAVE A PROBLLEM WITH THE LITTER BOXES AND THATS THE FACT THAT THE YOUNGER CATS HAVE POO WARS. THEY LEAVE THIER POO NOT COVERED UP TO SHOW WHOS BOSS , AND MIQUELITOS POO REAKS BIG TIME!!!!!
    THEN THEY AVOID THAT BOX UNTIL I CLEAN IT. FOR SOME REASON THIER POOS ARE SOFT AND SMELLY, EVEN THOUGH THEY ALL SHARE THE SAME DIET!!
    WE ALL SEND A BIG MMMEEEEOOOW TO MAX, AND OF COURSE SPRECKLES ANGEL WILL ALWAYS BE WITH YOU.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    Then when I am finished, of course everyone HAS to christen the newly cleaned boxes.
    why is that anyway? LOL! sig will sit right there and watch me clean his potty, and as soon as i walk away, he uses it. every single time. and previously he was sleeping on the sofa, until he heard me messing around with it all.

aki
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

Eddie gets in one box (and these boxes are together...touching together...) digs...looks....jumps in the other...digs looks...jumps back in the first....so on and so on....

Maybe it is a guy thing???

p.s....I forgot the turning around and around part....

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    When I am finished, of course everyone HAS to christen the newly cleaned boxes.
    My cat does that! I put the pan back in its place, take the old litter out to the trash and don't you know - when I come back, I hear dig, dig, scratch, scratch. It was clean for about five minutes. Occasionally she doesn't urinate in the pan right away but just moves the litter around with her paws and then hops out.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Pearl starts meowing very loudly when she's using the box. She has to announce to everyone that she's doing her business.LOL She'll also sometimes dig a bit and then hop out and decide to use a different box. I've watched Sunny and Sky do the same thing. My cats now have 8 litter boxes to choose from so I guess it can become difficult to decide which one to use.