Thread: To get a new kitty or not is the question!

To get a new kitty or not is the question!

Hi, everyone! I am new to this forum. I have a Siamese/Ragdoll kitty that has been the queen of the castle for all 4 years of her life and we've never had any other cat. We had a dog when we got her but he was an old fuddy dud who didn't give 2 hoots about Molly (even though she tried her darnedest to get a rise out of him). Anyway, he died of cancer at age 14 in summer of 06'. Then this past summer we adopted a dog from the Humane Assn. and it was AWFUL! Molly was terrified of the new dog, even though the dog didn't go after her, and she woudn't come out from under our bed, even after 3 weeks. Well, for many other reasons as well, we had to take the dog back to the Humane Assn. (she became extremely over protective of our kids and treid to attack one of our son's little friends when they were horsing around ). Anyway, we decided then that another dog was out of the question.

But, what about a kitten? I mean, how do we know if she'll have a toxic reaction again and never come out from under the bed? I don't want to traumatize her but have thought it would be really nice to get a boy kitten. Is that a bad idea?

WDYT? Thanks for any insight and advice you can provide!

BTW, we have a neighbor kitty who is an indoor/outdoor cat and he comes by in the summer and gets on our deck and will sit 4' in front of Molly with just the screen door between them and Molly will watch him and then after about 15 minutes, loses interest and just walks away. She doesn't get upset at all that he's there. But if a squirrel gets that close, she'll take off running to go hide! LOL

Kittens are easy to introduce to older cats. My daughter just got another kitten (her other cat is 9 years old). Because the kitten is young, the older one will put her in her place and let her know where she stands. It'll take a little time and unless there's blood shed, don't worry about it. There'll be hissing, growling and spitting. That's normal.

Good luck finding a new furkid.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Growling, hissing, spitting...OH MY! LOL How long will THAT last?! Is my cat going to hate me forever if I bring in a runt?!

Nah, your cat won't hate you. He/she may be a little pissed off at you, but it won't last long. I say go for it!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Cats definitely respond better to kittens, than older cats. Kittens are easily put in their place. Kittens are also great play toys!! I definitely think your kitty would respond better to a kitten, as oppssed to a dog. Good luck!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Your Molly may have to get used to her tail being used as a toy though. My Morgan was 9 when I rescued Aroara, a six week old kitten. Morgan is a very laid back cat, but they had their moments. He taught Aroara who was boss. The only thing that he had to wait for her to grow out of was that she was determined his tail was her best toy.

When I brought 5 week old calico Puddy home, she was all of one lb. and full of piss and vinegar. After keeping her isolated for the appropriate period of time, I decided that my older gal, Pigeon, a big Maine coon who was only 2 1/2 years old at that time, would be the one to introduce first. From the getgo, Pidge took charge. When Puddy rambunctiously ran up to her, Pidge put her gigantic paw on Puddy's tiny head and held it to the floor until Puddy calmed down. It was hilarious to watch as Puddy squirmed and Pidge sat there as calm as can be. Yes, you may have a few hiss and growl sessions but that's their way of getting to know one another and of establishing the pecking order. I wouldn't worry about a thing; just introduce them slowly and all should be fine. Keep us updated and w/pix, too, please.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11