Thread: Julian is sick - *Update*

Julian is sick - *Update*

For those who don't know: Julian is my 5 year old, Holland Lop Rabbit.

I posted a thread before about how Julian drinks a lot of water. Well I took him to the vet for a toe issue (more about that later) and the vet ran blood work, did an ultrasound and did a urinalysis and everything looks fine. I'm supposed to measure out his water for the next 24 hours so we can figure out how much he drinks in a day. A bunny his weight should only drink between 115 - 230 cc's of water daily. I measured out 230 cc's of water and it doesn't even fill his dish half way, and he normally drinks 2 fully dishes a day!! I have a feeling the amount of water he drinks is going to be extremely high.

We are also having major issues with his foot. He pulled out the toe nail on his back right foot and that toe got infected. The infection is pretty bad now and he is on all kinds of meds and has to have his foot soaked in a medicated solution twice a day. The vet really wants to do surgery to open up that toe and dig out all the infection. I asked her to wait to see if the antibiotics will help him. If by next Monday his foot isn’t better she wants to do surgery early next week, It seems like when it rains, it pours with this little guy. Please pray for him, I'm so worried about my little man.

Ashley
    Last edited by Aspen and Misty; 01-15-2008 at 11:24 PM.
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Poor little guy, we'll be thinking of him!

Prayers headed out for Julian. I hope the antibiotics work so he doesn't need surgery. Will be watching for an update about the water drinking issue.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

{{Sending healing thoughts to Julian.}}

How is sweet Julian doing? Good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart
    Do you have another dish like his to measure the amount of water lost because it's evaporating?
    I don't think there would be enough water loss by evaporation in one day to really affect the results, but I honestly don't know.

In the first 24 hours that I measured his water he drank 910 cc's (he had water in his dish when we started out, so he wasn't like "dying of thirst", there was no water spilt on the floor either) the second 24 hours I measured his water he drank 554 cc's. Because there was such a difference I'm going to continue to measure his water every 24 hours until his vet appointment. He is definitely is drinking a lot more water than normal.

His toe is looking SO much better!! I'm so happy. I'm hoping when I take him to the vet she will be as happy with his progress as I am.

Thank you everyone for your good thoughts.

Ashley

Julian has a lot of discharge from his nose and is sneezing constantly. I moved his vet appointment from this past Monday to next Monday because of my money situation but I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if I can move it up to this Friday. He is just so sick, with his foot, his drinking problem and now an upper respiratory infection. I'm so worried that all of this stress from being sick is going to be too much on him. Please pray for my little boy, I just don't know what to do.

Ashley

i will be praying for Julian. i am having serious rabbit problems with our family rabbit boof. If you wanna find out about him you can click here.

I will be thinking of you and Julian. Best of luck.

Pets of the Day so far ...
    BOOF, HONEY & BUNNIKINS

CLICK HERE to see all my pets past and present...

Click Here to go to my Petster account.

Click here to see some of my pet videos on YouTube.