Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotland

Scotland

Anyone every traveled there? What did you think? Is it a good place to travel to on your own? I really want to go there, and I can't seem to find anyone who can go with me. What sort of things are there to do, and how do you get around?? I'm thinking of going next summer if I get accepted into school

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I have been to Glasgow in January - I took an overnight train up there from London, and was met by my dear old boss. It was a cool grey day, just a little rain, but there was plenty to see and do indoors as well. It was a very nice visit, but then, I did have "native" guides! And his wife even let me try a bite of her haggis at dinner, too.

The British rail system is a bit unpredictable, schedule-wise, but will get you there reliably, as long as you aren't on too strict a timetable.

Well, I'd go with you in a heartbeat, if I could. My father's family is all from Scotland, he has traced our family tree back to the early 1500's. I'd love to see all the places my family lived, and possibly even meet some of them.

If you go, do let us know all about it, please.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I've never been, but Alan and I are thinking about spending some time there on our (distant) honeymoon. He has lots of family there and says it's just beautiful!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I've been many times. You can do Edinburgh in a day. I really recommend going to other spots as well. Sterling has a beautiful castle. I didn't care for Glasgow much but it's an interesting city to tour. I've not been to Roslyn but would love to go for all the mysterious reasons..LOL...Davinci's code, freemasons etc. While the rail system isn't 100% reliable, it's the only way to go. We made the mistake of renting a car once and even though my boyfriend was Irish and used to the whole other side of the road thing, I white knuckeled it the entire trip. Just remember its ALWAYS cold. I tried to convince a friend of mine of that fact and she said Oh it can't be that bad ...it's June. I happily did an "I-told-you-so" dance in my parka while she froze in her sweatshirt! LOL The Scots are lovely people and I've enjoyed it immensly. I would like to see Loch Ness and the Shetland islands sometime.
    Claudia

Ooh, I'd love to go with you! Only problem is I can't afford it right now. I've checked though and occasionally you can find flights from chicago to for about $300 but I don't know about other places.

Niño & Eliza

How I would love to go w/you, especially to Edinburgh! I have to renew my passport, though, and I doubt it's in my budget. Please update us on your adventures.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I LOVED it!

I have traveled alone quite a bit, but in tour groups. I use COSMOS, and I took one tour of England, Wales and Scotland. I believe they have tours of Scotland only. The scenery is fabulous, the history is fascinating, and people were welcoming. I was there in 1990, so I'd have to pull my travel journal off the shelf in the other room to remember exactly what we saw. I just remember it was fantastic! I was staying with relativeds in London, so I signed up for a tour which left from there.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I lived in Edinburgh for 3 years. I can't tell you much about it since I was 6 months old when we moved there. I do remember the Sweet Shop where I got candy. And I do remember walking around in the snow eating ice cream -- and wishing it were hot chocolate. We lived on Red Robin Lane. Not sure which house.

I hope you go. You won't regret traveling.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I think it is one of the places where you can travel safely on your own. Ask Killearn Kitties- she lives close to Glasgow

11. I've traveled there...once many years ago on a tour and last year to visit a very good friend! I would go again at the drop of a hat....(is the room ready Karen? )

Thanks everyone. I'll have to do more research. I'd really like to go there...not so much alone though..so, who is coming with me?? lol kidding.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

We went there......... on our HONEYMOON !!! So I didn't see much of it...

LOL, it was a wonderful trip!! We had to break it off very suddenly, because Bernard's mom, who was sick, fell into a coma. She said "ahh, there you are!", and then she fell into her coma again. She died 3 weeks later.

We went back 2 years later . Scotland is so beautyful!! We drove to Edinburgh, then Inverness, where we said HI to Nessie . We also went to Fort William, The Isle of Sky, and the highest dangerous cliffs I've ever seen ( ). Normally Sky is covered or surrounded by mist, but we were lucky and happy to have bright sunny weather there .
    We didn't go to hotels, but used "bed & breakfast". We loved the contact with the Scottish people!!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I am so envious, i was born in scotland and all my relatives are there or here visiting, it seems, i have a cousin here from Inverurie where i come from right now, I have never been back though, i hear it is similar to NZ in lots of ways,scenery etc,more so the countryside etc, apart from the freezing weather in the winter lol.

I really hope you do take the trip, do it while you are young and I am sure you won't have any regrets, I think you would be reasonably safe on your own there too, but i do hope you can go with a companion, much more fun eh?
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Why not have a look at the Tourist Board's site as a starting point? You might pick up some ideas of things you would like to do, or places you might like to go. Visit Scotland I see there are also lots of little flags along the top, including a Canadian one. That takes you to a related site which probably has travel and tours specifically from Canada.

If you decided against an organised tour, yes travelling on your own is fairly easy particularly across the central belt, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling, and also between major cities.

If you have any specific queries, I'd be delighted to try and help.