Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: does your cat play fetch?

does your cat play fetch?

is it wierd that my cat plays fetch? my dog doesnt play anything but my cat plays with mice and fetch and some other things. its soo funny to watch him play.
    animal lover

ummm i dont think its weird but cats dont really play fetch alot

Fetch Droopy!

I had a foster that would play fetch. We used to say he was our dog until we got a real one.

His favorite practical joke to play on people was to get them started playing fetch, then he'd sorta disappear with the paperwad for a while. All of a sudden he'd come back with it and drop it at our feet, ready to play again. When we'd pick it up, we'd be grabbing a handful of soggy paper. I swear there were times I heard him giggle. After a while we learned to use paper that didn't soak up so much water.

He also liked to sit and watch ice cubes melt in the water dish. Ever so often he'd bop one of them with his paw and watch the water. We always wondered what was going on in his head - was he contemplating the molecular changes taking place in his water dish or was he waiting for the ice to melt so the cubes wouldn't hit his nose? Or was it another practical joke he was playing on us - what was stupider than a cat watching ice melt? Human watching a cat who's watching ice melt.

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Mine never do. They're too busy sleeping. Rudie occasionally hits some of the dogs toys, but only if he thinks we're not looking.

Sometimes ... when he feels like it. Favorite things to fetch: milk jug rings, crumpled papers, foam rubber balls ...
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Hmm..

My cat loves to play with the clear caps that come off of water bottles. He totes them around in his mouth and stashes them in various places so I don't take them away at night (they can be loud!). Anyways, he'll hold it in his mouth and then sort of throw it and catch it and bring it back to his original location. This is about the time my husband and I cower in fear of "psychokitty".

Former User Guest
    Casper plays fetch with a rope and mice

I have a friend whose Siamese would play fetch with her husband's balled up pack of cigarettes (after they were empty of course ) She would drop it at his feet just like a dog and then sit and wait for him to throw it. Too cute!

None of my 5 cats will fetch, but years ago I had a kitty that would chase after aluminum foil balls and furry mice. She would drop them at the feet of each person in turn, so everyone in the room could participate in throwing the toy for her to retrieve. She was a very considerate and gracious hostess, making all who visited feel welcome!
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

One of my cats will play fetch for hours if you will play with him and the other one is "much too sophisticated" for anything like that!!!

Stripey loves the rings that are around juice bottles the best - light enough to carry around in his mouth anf easy to throw if nobody will do it for him.

Mr Bibbs just lays there and watches everything as if to say "Oh please! Not again!"
    Dogs have owners - Cats have Staff!

Welcome to Pet Talk, StripyCat. Hope you'll enjoy it here as I have. Like you, I have two cats who vary on how they feel about retrieving. Cassy (usually) loves it and will play for hours. Livvy appears to find it 'beneath' her dignity. LOL. Tell us more about your sweeties, please.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Thanks for the welcome AmberLee!

Stripey came from a litter that a friend's cat had and Mr Bibbs was a stray that started appearing at our back door. We had to trap him with the vet's cage/trap to get him to get his shots and neutering done. He was so afraid of people - NOW he waltzes right into the house and plops himself down on the rug.

I have always been a cat person but not my husband. It took Stripey exactly 3 days to win Dan over - have him heating up the food in the microwave to "take the chill off it" and he sleeps cuddled up to Dan at night. That cat knew who to butter up!

This is Mr Bibbs (the big one) and Stripey with a mouse in his mouth

What beautiful boys you have. And don't they look intent on their own activities.

I hope to see more photos of your boys in the future. (I've taken some of Cassy and Livvy recently, but haven't remembered to get them processed... Baaad memoried Meow-my!) Here are my two from this last spring. (Cassy is the silver male; Livvy the brown female)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They are adorable!! And I am VERY familiar with "the look" Cassie is giving you! I have seen those eyes staring intently at whatever I happen to be eating!

There is a third cat that comes around every couple of days to snack from Mr Bibbs' bowl but I think he belongs to someone & I haven't tried to capture him yet. No collar but that doesn't mean he's not owned.

Mr Bibbs' neck is so fat that we ended up putting a dog's leather collar with spikes on it around it - he is so proud of that collar too! From the day we put it on him he seemed to hold his head up higher and strut! Like he finally belonged to someone. Such a baby!