Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSLR's... which one do I choose?

DSLR's... which one do I choose?

After Christmas, I am considering buying an SLR. I love my Kodak Zoom right now, but I'd also love an SLR.

The three I am considering are:

- OLYMPUS E-410 w. 14-42mm LENS ($549.99)
    - NIKON D40 w. DX 18-55mm LENS ($559.99)
    - CANON DIGITAL REBEL XT w. 18-55mm LENS ($619.99)

The Olympus has the highest MPs (10) with the Canon having 8 and the Nikon 6.1.

The only main difference between the Olympus from the Nikon and Canon is that it has lower optical zoom. Other than that, it sounds like the better deal of the three. Higher resolution, filter size and 35mm equiv... but I dunno!

Any advice?

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

research them all some. For me it is Nikon all the way but we have several members that swear by Canon. Have you compared them on Dpreview?

Here is the link for the 3 your are thinking of compared side by side. There are in depth reviews, sample galleries, and owner opinions.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. It is just a matter of what serves you best. And remember Mpx is not the most important thing. All 3 of these cameras are on the same level but the Mpx varies from as you said 10-6.1.

Good luck on whichever you choose and let us know.

Michelle

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

They all sound like great cameras. I wouldn't worry too much about MP unless you require a high mp camera for developing pictures.

You know Sheena who runs Border Collie rescue in BC (TDBCR)? She's mentioned that any of those DSLRs are fine.. it's the lens that play a big role. They can cost as much as the camera itself!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Go with the Nikon D40. It's one of the best digitals on the market. Clear, concise, crisp pictures. Worth the $$. And that is according to my photographer friend, Mike Kodas.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

How much is the XTi up there? I would definitely stick with the Canon but if you can, get the XTi. Canons are incredibly user friendly. I was able to learn mine completely by myself.

Quality photos and well worth the money.

Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon
    ... or maybe Nikon, if you really want it.

I wouldn't even consider the Olympus, but that's just because I know nothing about it ... but I almost never hear people talking about that brand.

Why not go to the store and see which one feels best in your hands. That will make a huge difference.

I agree with .sarah. I just finished a digital beginner's photography class, and the teacher swears by Canons. I have the rebel xt, and I love it. I'm getting my third lens for Christmas. I have only Canon brand lenses so that makes a difference too I think. I also don't hear much about Olympus. The bid debate is Canon or Nikon, so I would think they're better cameras. If you can get the Xti, go for it. It's got more mp than the Xt (which is why you were leaning toward the Olympus, right?).

Oh, and CANON!!
    Visit my photography web site! http://www.purplepenguinphoto.com
    0.1.0 German Shepard/Chow mix (Kiley)
    0.1.0 Rosy Boa (Nelson)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
    1.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Sampson & Delilah)
    *Sammy was Pet of the Day!!*
    http://petoftheday.com/archive/2007/September/06.html
    Please click and view my dragons! They need clicks to grow:

I used to be stuck on Canon. But I got the Olympus a few months ago. It is by far my favorite. I just love the 18x zoom.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I have the D40. I use it as my back-up camera to my D80. The only time you'll notice the lower mp is if you want to print poster size images. You can't tell the difference in regular prints, even up to 10x13. It's light, easy to carry, easy to use and takes great pictures. Nikon has a very good Canadian warrenty too.

Camera bodies come and go. Glass is forever. You will eventually spend far more on glass than your camera body cost. You need to look at what lens system you want to lock yourself into. The D40 lacks an internal focusing motor so to use autofocus you need a lens with a built in motor(the entire Nikkor DX line and some third party for Nikon lens). Older Nikon lens won't work on the D40. Olympus has their own attachment system, which limits the number of non-Olympus lens you can use, although Sigma and Tamron are both making lenses for the Olympus system now.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

D40x here as well.

I've found out the whole Nikon v. Canon debate is pretty moot. After speaking with my photography instructor, several professional photographers, and just observing on the 'Net, it runs down 50/50.

I'll agree, however, that the lens make a HUUUUGE difference.

Several of the suggestions here are really good ones....

Stick with either the Canon or Nikon (both are old reliable companies and both are top choice brands of professionals). They also both have a wide choice of lenses and accessories available.

Go to the store and actually handle the cameras. What good is a bargain DSLR with all the bells and whistles if it's a pain to hold or use for any length of time?

Megapixels only mean how large you can print and enlargement, nothing more. If you are only going to send pix by email or print in only 4x6 size then MP don't matter much.

Here is a chart on MP vs print sizes for a rough guideline.
    http://www.design215.com/toolbox/megapixels.php

As for my own vote:

I'm a proud owner of 6 Canon cameras, most recently the XTi (which I recommend over the XT because of size of LCD among other things). I also just bought my hubby an XTi for Christmas. I don't know what the XTi's are selling for in your area but here we got ours for around $690+tax with kit lens at a camera store in our area.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

My Canon Rebel XTI has 10 megapixils. You may have been looking at an older model? I love my camera, but I haven't used the others so I won't be too much help to you.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

You guys are mistaken, she is talking about the XT, not the XTi. The XTi is newer than the XT, and the XT does have 8MP.

I have the XTi, and swear by it. Though I don't use it every day (kinda hard to carry it in my purse everywhere for those spur-of-the-moment snapshots) but when I do get to use it, wow! I haven't had time lately, but now that I'm off work... watch out!

I do swear by Canon, but its all in what you're used to. I recommend Canon. You will pay more, but you won't regret it, and the quality by far surpasses the others, in my opinion. I can give you technical details, but some of them I'm not even sure I understand or that they even make a difference

facebook

I won't get into the "which one to choose" because it really depends on price and feature set you want more than anything. The top brands all have pretty equivocal image abilities and quality.

comment on Canon brand:

the quality by far surpasses the others
    I would have to disagree with that. Even pro photographers and any of the major review sites say the quality between the top name brands are very close and one does not "far surpass" another in image quality between comparable models of each brand. I think quality depends far more on the photographer: I've seen breathtaking photos from all the top brand names.

I would most agree with Giselle's post. I use a Nikon D80 and greatly enjoy it but I have not used a D40 or the other models so I could not objectively give an opinion on the differences. I would go to a review site (link given above I think) and look at them side by side and decide which features you want most .
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Well as I said, I was not stating it as a fact, I was simply stating my opinion.

facebook