Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australians - please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by captain
    Yep, I can see how it would confuse someone - so let me share this too - here in Melbourne, we have a Public Holiday for a horserace!!!!! No, I am NOT kidding!!!
    Thank you for answering.

Hey, I understand the horserace holiday concept, truly. I live in Wyoming, and when I was a kid we had a day where all public schools were out on holiday ... the first day of hunting season. Really.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Hey Sparks, we do have at least one different holiday between provinces in Canada - Quebec has St Jean Baptistes Day in June while the rest of us have August Bank holiday.

We all have Boxing Day as a leftover from our Colonial past; it's a British holiday
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

The Melbourne Cup is supposed to be the richest horse race in the world, everyone in the racing industry everywhere has heard of it, no wonder it's also a public holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog
    If you were referring to me, I wasn't asking where Australia is on the globe. I think I might be able to find it.

I was asking about customs of the country ... why does one state have different holidays from the others? Seemed a legitimate question to me.

Rather like a citizen of Australia might ask a citizen of the USA, "Why does the state of Utah celebrate holidays that no other state does?" The answer being, of course, the citizens of Utah are predominately members of the LDS church, and celebrate holidays specific to their religion.

I was simply wondering if there was a similar reason in SA, Australia.

Sorry Twister, I meant no criticism to you or anyone else. It was just
    a question in general. Maybe it should have been posted as it's own thread.
    Honestly, it was not meant as a slam.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I know this thread is a bit old but I wanted to add....

here in Mexico when "work day" holiday WE DON´T WORK!! haha.... whereas other places they work and even more.....

I think it´s like Labor day or something
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365