Thread: Mr Meow is home, pictures added on post #80

Threaded View

Mr Meow is home, pictures added on post #80

Mr Meow was at the vet for his regular depo shot (to keep his cancer under control). I finally had a chance to ask "what else should we be doing." (my regular vet is on vacation) so this gave me a chance for a second opinion....

So the vet started by saying, if it is cancer, than you just give the depo shots. but he also said how amazed he is that Mr. Meow is holding his own for so long (5 months now). Not losing weight and not getting sick. Then he palpated the abdomen......felt a golf ball size lump. (keep in mind that 5 months ago this swelling was barely able to be felt and was found on an ultrasound) So it is growing.

But he is doing REALLY well otherwise.

This vet suggested an exploratory surgery. Go in and SEE what might be able to be done. The down side, might open him up to find out there is nothing to be done. The good side, maybe it is removable. Might not cure him 100%, but then at least this growing lump would be gone. And maybe could be biopsied for further possible treatments.

So, my question is.......What are the pros and cons of having this done? (in YOUR opinions)

I would be totally CRUSHED if they opened him up and said that he was so full of cancer that we should PTS without even awaking him! (I watch too much Animal Emergency ER) I mean, he is doing so well!

But if there is even a CHANCE that a tumor could be removed giving him more time.......of course I would want to do it.

I have no doubt that One by One would OK the surgery. But is it the right thing to do? need to see both sides of the issue.

What do you think?

EDIT 12-11-07........Mr. Meow will be going in for surgery Friday (12-17) Wish him luck.
    Last edited by jenluckenbach; 12-15-2007 at 06:12 PM.