I have a Silky Terrier that will be 2 on January 1. He is neutered. He has always had a problem with peeing the house - yet, I can't figure out why. He has no medical condition that causes it. We've checked.

At night, he sleeps in a crate and has never had an accident in it. So I know he can go a number of hours without a problem. As soon as we awaken, we let him and our older second dog out. The same process is followed when we leave and return home. When we are home, we let them both out about every three hours.

Unfortunately, we never catch him doing it so we can't scold him. We always come across the spot later on, usually when it's dried up. It's almost like he hides it or something. He does this usually on our carpeting (4 different rooms, not just one) and sometimes on the linoleum kitchen floor. A few days ago we have started confining him to the kitchen. If we are watching tv in the evening we allow him in the living room, but only if a family member keeps him on their lap. We've tried this before, and he's gone a week or so without an accident, but as soon as he's allowed house roaming, it starts over again.

I talked to a dog trainer who pretty much said it's the dog and that's that, although, he did not see or interact with the dog.

Does anyone have anything we can try with him?