Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spook Update November 30, # 62

Spook Update November 30, # 62

I brought a little black kitten home from work with me today. A co-worker's relative had found this little kitten by a road somewhere, and had taken it in briefly. But there was a little girl in their house who is very allergic to cats, so they couldn't keep it. The coworker knows how soft-hearted I am when it comes to widdle baby kitty-cats, so when she told me about it I told her I would bring it home with me and either take it to the Humane Society to be adopted out, or find a good home for it myself. It has a cyst or abcess or something on it's right eye. But it doesn't seem to be in pain. We think it's a girl but aren't certain about that yet. It is black and it's front paws look like mittens! It is absolutely adorable!

I took it to the Humane Society tonight but they were getting ready to close and didn't have anyone who could really do much with it tonight, so I said I'd bring it home and take care of it overnight, and take it back to the Humane Society tomorrow afternoon. I have to work in the morning tomorrow, but have the afternoon off.

So I brought little "Spook" (or "Mittens"?) home with me, and fed it (it ate like a little piggy!) and it is sleeping now. My other fur-babies (cats Dottie, Little Orphan Annie, Shadow, and Angel, as well as dogs Sandi and Oreo) are OK with it so far. There have been a few hisses and growls, but nothing too bad and I'm not letting this little one out of the large carrier it is in unless/until I know it doesn't have anything that can spread to my other babies.

I'll take some pictures in a little while, and try to get them uploaded and posted. Right now I'm letting the little one sleep!

It's good to be back---I haven't been on here for awhile.....................

Deb
    Last edited by Soapets; 11-30-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: UPDATE
    Rest in Peace, dear Oreo: April 20, 1997-July 18, 2011
    :Rest in Peace, beautiful Sandi: March 18, 1994-January 23, 2010

::
    Rest in Peace, sweet Angel: July 1, 2001-May 14, 2009

Deb

Soapets,

Welcome back!!!

Your little foster kitty sounds adorable and so lucky to have found you!!

Don't worry about the other critters, a little kitten is very easy to incorporate into a household of pets. I took in little Alicat from a rescue organization in Rhode Island. She was 12 weeks when I got her and my cats are fine with her. They let her know when they don't want to be bothered. She's adjusted very well.

Good luck!! Please show us pictures when you can. And keep us posted on her progress. We love happy endings!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

You are probably doing right keeping the kitten separated until it is tested for FIV / FeLV, and maybe a few other things. Plus, she is safer that way and able to rest better without hiding and being on alert with so many new roomies!

Hope someone can see to that eye soon!

Photos and updates, please!

"Spook" was taken to the Vet. by the people who had him, and he's on some Amoxil orally, as well as some eye drops. They gave me the medications to bring home with me to keep giving to him. (I'm going to refer to it as a "he" or "her" for now, even though I'm not 100% certain. "It" just doesn't seem right!) He probably has worms, according to the person I spoke with at the Humane Society. His belly is pretty round and "full". But he's curious and alert playing and eating and sleeping fine. He hasn't gone poop or potty yet that I'm aware of. I used a warm moist cotton ball to try to stimulate something in that respect after he ate, but he didn't do anything. I'll watch him tonight and try it again when I feed him after while. He is eating canned food, so I don't have to bottle feed him, either. (He put his cute little mitten-toed feet into his food bowl the first time he licked it clean, looking for more food!)

Since he's black and it's almost Halloween, I thought "Spook" would be a good name for him (or her) for now. "Mittens" would be better if his paws were white, but they're black just like the rest of him. He has mitten toes, though, so when he stretches out his front feet they look like mittens with the little thumbs in them.

I guess that's about all for now. I'll post some pictures of him tomorrow at the latest..................

Deb
    Last edited by Soapets; 01-24-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Canging "she" to "he" and "her" to "him" and "his"!

Deb

Soapets! Welcome back! How small is the kitten, by the way? I wonder how she got separated from her mom? Best wishes, widdle kitty!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Aw, she sounds like such a cutie. And I'm glad you rescued her during this Halloween season when bad things can happen to black cats. Yay for you and Spook!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Welcome back. Spook sure sounds adorable and I'm glad that you're able to care for her. I hope that she'll get well soon and that she'll be able to find a wonderful loving home soon. Good luck.

Update On Spook! Prayers Requested!

I decided to take Spook to the Vet. today before taking him to the Humane Society. I just had a feeling that the Humane Society wouldn't want to pay for his medical bill regarding his right eye. I am glad I took him to the Vet.

First of all, we found out for sure that HE IS A BOY. So now I can refer to him properly and accuratly, rather than calling him a "she" or "her" or "it"! He is 6-7 weeks old, and weighs a pound and a half.

Second, his right eye is really bad. He has a descemetocele (? spelling), which means a really bad corneal ulcer that has perforated through most of the cornea and is at high risk for rupturing. Luckily he was on an oral antibiotic as well as antibiotic eye drops, so there is no infection present.
    He will undergo surgery to have his right eye removed tomorrow morning. We should be able to pick him up tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning.

Third, he has fleas! So I'm glad I didn't let him out of the kennel (much) while he was here last night, and that I put newspapers under the kennel and our other pets didn't get very close to him. But I'm treating our other pets, as well as our carpeting and furniture anyway, just to be on the safe side. I DID have him out a few times, just very briefly, to give him his medicine and eye drops and a hug or two............ But he didn't get to get down on the floor, or onto the furniture, etc. I or my husband held him the entire time he was out of the carrier/kennel.

Fourth, he has roundworm. So he is being treated for that, too.

The Vet. is only charging us $196.00 total for everything they are doing for him, and she isn't charging for the overnight stay. They are keeping him there overnight tonight and he will have surgery first thing tomorrow morning. She will call me at work after the surgery to let me know how everything went. I know I will be anxiously awaiting her call! I called my coworker to update her on what is going on, and she said she'll help pay for his care. I paid $100.00 today, and she said she'd pay me $100.00 when I see her on Monday. So the cost has been covered, and we are very thankful that things are working out the way they are!

I called the Humane Society and spoke to one of the gals I talked with last night when I took Spook there then. I told her what was going on, and that we would cover the costs now to get him healthy, and once he's recovered enough we'll turn him over to them to adopt out. They, as well as the Vet., said he will be very adoptable, as "special" kitties like he is are usually easier to adopt out than perfectly healthy kitties, etc.

NOW I just informed my husband of all of this, and he said it's all fine with him! He's working nights now so was sleeping earlier today when I went and did all of this and made the decision to cover the cost of treatment, etc., without consulting him first. THANK GOD he is as soft-hearted as I am when it comes to these little fur babies!

NOW my husband JUST said that he wants to make sure that if Spook isn't adopted out, and the Humane Society reaches the point where they will euthanize him because nobody has adopted him, he wants them to call us to come and get him, and we'll take him instead!

I absolutely LOVE and ADORE my husband!!!!

Deb

Awwww.....you are so good for taking care of that special little boy! I sure hope he makes out okay, and is adopted!! Your hubby sounds very sweet for offering to adopt him, if the shelter dosent find a home. Great job!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

AWWW! is Winky/Spook being neutered at the same time - or do they figure that's too much for the widdle guy?

Thank God he was on antibiotics...that eye could really have caused major damage.

Prayers that he comes thru ok!

What's he like - a cuddler? Feisty? Quiet?

Looking forward to pics!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hey Catty1, he's FEISTY and energetic and playful and curious. He HATES being locked up---sticks his front arms out through the kennel cage, bites at the cage, frantically paws at it to try to get out. Once out, he just wants to explore and play and have fun!

I didn't ask about neutering yet, but I don't know if it would be possible yet or not. His testicles are so small (SORRY SPOOK---don't mean to embarass you or anything here, but you ARE just a little tiny baby yet...) that I couldn't even tell if he is a boy or girl. The Vet. had to look very, very closely to determine that he is a little boy.

I'm going to go work on uploading some photos from last night and from this afternoon........................

Deb

It's a good thing you got Spook when you did. How lucky for him! I'm so glad that your husband feels the way he does. Care to bet money that you'll both end up falling so head over heels that you'll keep him regardless? Thanx for the update and for taking such good care of Spook and giving him a chance.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

The Lucky Found Cat Angels Are Heering Because Come What May, Spook Is Getting A Great Home , And All Will Be Well For That Little Starry.
    The Tubby Angels Are There Tonight To Keep Thier Little Friend Warm And Comfortable.
    And Theres Another Gold Star By Your Name At The Rainbow Bridge For Saving A Life, Bless You And Your Husband.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

How wonderful that things have worked out for Spook!

I know many shelters refuse to adopt out black kitties around Halloween; for the cats' own safety. Would he be sitting in a cage at the Humane Society, or could you foster him?

So glad to hear that the eye will be alright!

Soapets,

Your husband sounds like a real gem!!

Why not just skip the HS and keep Spook??? Black cats are not as easily adoptable as other ones. Superstition has alot to do with it. There's a reason he came into your life. Think about it!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!