Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little help?...

A little help?...

So, my older sister is actively looking for a dog to adopt... and I'm helping her... and we would LOVE any suggestions you guys have! I know lots of you are Petfinder addicts (like myself), and I would appreciate links to any dogs you think would fit their situation.

About her and her family; She is 26, and married. She and her husband own a house, with a large yard, and my sister & her husband go running 5+ miles every day, and would take the dog along. They also go to the lake every weekend in warm months, and up to the snow in Tahoe in the winter... so the dog should be fairly adventurous, confident, and trainable. I would consider them moderately active, but not SUPER active. They have two adorable daughters, age 4 and 2. The 4 year-old, Morgan, is probably the smartest, sweetest kid in the whole world. And the 2 year-old, Maddy, has also been raised around my boys and she's very respectful and loving towards dogs. They, of course, WOULD NEVER be left unsupervised with the dog, nor would they tease the dog, but the dog should be easy going around kids and gentle.

The requirements are: a medium/large breed, 1 year+, friendly, medium activity, good with kids & other dogs, house-trained, gentle, and cuuute of course, and in the Sacramento, CA area. Her husband really likes Labs, because he had a Lab mix as a kid, but I don't personally think the breed is the BEST choice for them. My sister also thinks there are better breeds/mixes out there for them, than a Lab.

I was telling my sister about Pet Talk, and she said she would really appreciate any advice or suggestions you guys have! Sooo, feel free to post links to Petfinder dogs or breed suggestions. TIA! : D Here's a picture of my sister, and her 2 year-old, visiting the sand dunes. They are a super cute, happy family.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Please please take Ivy!! She's driving me up the wall right now. I thought the puppy zoomies would have disappeared by now!

In all honesty, I'm really excited for you!! How far is your sister from the Lake County animal shelter? They're a high kill shelter and there's an Aussie shep/ACD boy who's been there for quite a while. He's past his PTS date, but I think one of the volunteers agreed to pay for his neuter and so his date is prolonged (or something like that). He's so beautiful; I couldn't bear to see him euth'd:
    http://www.co.lake.ca.us/Government/...nd_Puppies.htm

Are they pittie fans??

ETA: Awww, look at this girl's face! And if she is Vizsla (I doubt it though; looks more like a pittie), she'd be a perfect jogging companion:
    http://www.acr.saccounty.net/adopt-a...ls/search.html

Unless they look into going to a rescue as opposed to a shelter, they will have a difficult time finding a dog that is housetrained. Otherwise, sounds like they'll be a great home. I found several housetrained dogs, but most were 2+ hours away from Sacramento.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Here is an Aussie (mix?) in Placerville.

Two years old, 50-55lbs, housebroken, obedience trained and has basic agility training. Good with kids, okay with cats and small pets. Fearful of unknown dogs, but in time, warms up.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9678649

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Oh, I could go nutz here! I do not go on Petfinder often, but now that I'm looking.....look out!
    Here's a 2 yr old lab.
    Here is a young lab mix, she is so cute!
    Another lab mix.
    And this is why I do not look at petfinder. I want her!
    Well, that's what I've got for you so far. Now I'll be checking each day for you. lol
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks for posting all of the cute doggies! : D I'm sending them to her now. She just told me, her husband would prefer a male... he's the only man in the house, I guess he feels outnumbered. hehe

The house-training isn't a must, but it would be ideal.

Cindy... they actually just went to see the first Lab you posted, yesterday! Apparently, there's a huge parvo outbreak at that shelter, as of yesterday. Those poor pups. They don't even know if the Labby boy has it, or if he's still alive, or what.

Sophie... I forgot about Lake County shelter! I have heard of how high-kill they are. I'll tell her to check out the site.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I volunteer at the spca, I haven't been since thanksgiving morning but that is a great place to adopt from, I will go out on their web page to check to see the available dogs.

I really like to adopt from the one on Bradshaw though since it is a high kill shelter but I heard there is a parvo outbreak there and all adoptions are off for now.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Why not something like a greyhound or a hound mix?

That's sad about the parvo outbreaks. Poor pups.
    Well, good luck anyway! I'm sure they will find the perfect match for their family.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Oooo... I really like Shadow! : D

Angelbow, I'm not sure if Nick would want a Greyhound. I haven't thought of asking him, but I don't think it's the breed for them. They would like a dog that can be trained to be ok in off-leash areas (such as at the lake). I wish they would get a Grey, though!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

While I would recommend greys in a lot of situations, I don't think your sister's family is looking for a grey. They fit all the requirements, but I think you guys are looking for a more "joie de vivre" type of dog.

I'm still pulling for that Aussie/ACD boy at the Lake County shelter I've been seeing him on craigslist and it really breaks my heart because he's SO pretty. I don't know how he is temperament wise though. That'll probably warrant a call to the shelter.

Yeah... I would DIE of happiness if they got a Greyhound. But, I'm pretty sure her husband wants more of a "manly" dog. hehe. Not that Greys can't be manly! ;]

Where is the Aussie/ACD boy? Are there pictures of him up?... I couldn't find him.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Rusty - URGENT

Jewel
    [I know you said they'd prefer a boy, but she looks like such a sweetheart.]

Chance

Austin

Sunny

Henry

Snow Bear

Earl

Dakota

~Danny~
    [19 y/o Crazed Human Female]

-The Dogs-
    Mac
    [6 y/o female BC/German Shepherd/Lab]
    Julie
    [9 y/o female Siberian Husky/Alaskan Malamute]
    Angel
    [7 y/o female German Shepherd/Lab]
    J.W.
    [6 y/o male BC/German Shepherd/Lab]
    R.B. Blackfoot
    [16 y/o Lab/German Shepherd]

-The Horses-
    Prissy
    [12 y/o Bay Tobiano Paint Mare]
    Miracles Happen
    [5 y/o Solid Bay Paint/Quarter Horse Mare]

Oooooh crud, he's not on there anymore!! I hope someone adopted him; I really hope he wasn't euth'd

This was him: