Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: last post surgery update

last post surgery update

*this is an update 12/28/2007*dramatic huh? i'm having surgery that am. in september 2003 i had gastric bypass surgery and since then i've lost and kept off almost 120#.as time has gone by, many things have gone "south". i promised myself that if i kept the weight off, i was going to make sure i looked as good as i felt. the planning has come to fruition, the money is ready and the 2 surgeons are aligned. as richard knows(hi richard! ) getting one surgeon in line can be interesting, getting 2 organized, well it's been an experience. the time has come to have the hernia repaired and have a tummy tuck/breast lift. if you're squeamish stop reading at the end of the sentence and i'll let you know when you can start again.~~~~~~~~
    the general surgeon starts first, he'll push in the hernia, mesh patch the area, suture the underlying muscles together and leave. he's talented but a frosty dude, aka he's known as a snot in my hospital. the plastic surgeon then comes in. she'll have marked me up first in the pre op pen. the girls will go down to b-cups (victoria secret i'm coming!). the weight being lifted truly from my neck and shoulders and upper back will be immense. the abdominoplasty will take longer. the incision will be a reverse t shape. she'll liposuction the depleted adipose (fat) cells up, then she'll remove the excess skin. despite urban legends, it cannot be used for the burn patients as a temporary cover for them. she'll suture several underlying areas shut, suture my skin closed, then she'll leave. the or staff will then wrestle my unconscious form into a post surgical compression garment, something like a long line body briefer. the very sweet anesthiaologist will wake me up. i expect, as i have every time i've had surgery, i'll vomit and get everybody all excited. i'll be a inpatient overnight at least.
    ~~~~~~~ start reading again....
    i have made and froze almost a months worth of raw food for the dogs (if anyone looks in the freezer in the basement, it looks like a butcher shop). i have made and froze dozens of meals for me and eileen. i have not told my mother about this. my mother is in not good shape and she would get into her car and come down here, i'd feel guilty and try to wait on her, and the cycle isn't pretty to think about. i'll call her after i'm back home, she'll be upset but i cannot take care of her and myself at this time so i made the hard choice to tapdance around this for awhile.
    i will sleep with in the recliner, under a pillow, we all know our cats will walk over our sleeping forms if they can, alex will want into the recliner, so the pillow is protection from paws.
    eileen will post under my screen name to do an update tuesday night after she leaves the hospital. please keep me, and my furries in your thoughts, i'm alternating between fear and exhileration.
    Last edited by joycenalex; 12-28-2007 at 08:42 AM.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Wow. Sounds like a lot of surgery at once. Prayers for a complete
    recovery and quick healing.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I am extremely jealous!! This is something that I have wanted to have done for a very long time. I know it will be a painful recovery but it will be worth it. I always say I am not having any more surgeries unless everything that you are having done is included...lol. I have a hernia that is going to have to be taken care of one of these days. Maybe I should start saving to have all the extras done like you did.

You have to pm me with all the details! How did you ever go about picking a doctor? What hospital? How much? I want to know it all...lol

I have to go to the hospital the morning of your surgery for some tests so when I am laying there having my scan done I will be thinking of you and wishing you a safe surgery and a very easy recovery with beautiful results in the end.

Congratulations on your weight loss and keeping it off. All of PT Land will, of course, be thinking of you on December 4th. I watch many of the programs on Discovery Health and the procedure that you had (gastric bypass) has been covered many times as has the removal of excess skin tissue afterwards. These people look absolutely terrific, however it sure doesn't appear to be a day at the beach (the recovery). I am sure your doctor has informed you that it will be tough. Keep your eyes on the prize though!! We all commend you for your determination. You go girl!

Just remembered that my next door neighbor had gastric bypass surgery
    about 1 year 1/2 ago. She always was a beautiful girl, but way overweight.
    She had tried just about every diet there is & could never lose weight. Well,
    you should she her now. She lost over 100lbs and bought a whole new
    wordrobe. She looks great.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Good for you! I have 2 friends who also had gastric bypass and as you know, the results were amazing. So much so, that every time I saw them, tears would well up from awe! Both these girls also had lifts and tucks and excess skin removed. All I can say, from what they've said, is that it was worth every painful minute. Neither of these girls ever lacked confidence before the surgery, but afterwards, when they walked into a room, they glowed.

Surgery is always scary. I will be thinking of you. Ask the anesthesologist (sp) for anti-nausea meds. I always do because I used to get so ill afterwards. I expect to see you modeling your Victoria Secret stuff! OMG! Your wardrobe is going to be fantastic!

What a wonderful Christmas gift you're giving yourself! Good Luck and Hugs and Blessings!

I've been Boooo'd!

We'll all be thinking of you! You'll be in our prayers that everything goes as well as it possibly could! I need to get back to exercising and losing weight myself.

Big GENTLE HUGS on the way for you...
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Congrats on your weight loss. I sure hope that everything will go well for you and that you'll have a speedy recovery too. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Good luck - you are going to look amazing
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Congratulations on your weight loss. Prayers and good thoughts will be going out all next week for you for a quick and relatively pain free recovery.

GOOD LUCK! Many good thoughts coming your way! I will be leaving for work Wednesday and will not be able to see the updates but I WILL be thinking about you. So I want to wish you much good luck and hope you get better results than you expect. Maybe after all the healing is done, you can post before and after pictures of with the weight and after the surgery!

My neighbor is obese and she us using a medicine called "Byetta" to loose it. it is insulin that diabetics use and she injects herself with it, and stcks to a diet he gave her, plus does water arobics.. She met this doctor in Wal Mart (of all places) when he came along to help her get something off a top shlef that was impossiable for her to reach. He gave her his card and told her to call for an appointment, that he could help her.

She has to date lost 92 pounds and is aiming for a even 100 by Christmas. My guess is she still has another 100 to loose after that.. She said she is loosing it so fast that her body has lost it's balance but we are all so proud of her and already she is able to walk a whole lot easier. (she was hardly able to walk before) So, good luck to you and congratulations on that weight loss, that is a major accomplishment.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Joyce I've been thinking of you and your upcoming surgery. I'm hoping that all goes well and that you don't get sick from the anesthesia this time around.

Your going to feel and look like a new woman!

I wish we could have gotten together before this, but when your all healed we'll definitely have to get together

I'll be thinking of you Tuesday and wishing you the best of luck!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I love hearing stories of people who have lost weight (even though I am gaining ). I watch Biggest Loser every season.
    Congrats on your weight loss and I will be thinking of you on that day while I am at the dentist (blah!).
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by anna_66
    I wish we could have gotten together before this, but when your all healed we'll definitely have to get together

I'll be thinking of you Tuesday and wishing you the best of luck!
    I had the same thought...I think we will need a shopping trip for a new spring wadrode!

Good luck Tuesday!!