Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat's daily routine baffles owner *video added*

Cat's daily routine baffles owner *video added*

A cat is baffling his owner by wandering off at night before expecting to be collected by car every morning at exactly the same time and place.

Sgt Podge, a Norwegian Forest Cat, disappears from his owner's home in Talbot Woods, Bournemouth, every night. The next morning, the 12-year-old cat can always be found in exactly the same place, on a pavement about one and a half miles (2.4km) away.

His owner, Liz Bullard, takes her son to school before collecting Sgt Podge. She said the routine began earlier this year, when Sgt Podge disappeared one day.

Ms Bullard rang the RSPCA and began telephoning her neighbours to see if anyone had seen him. An elderly woman who lived about one and a half miles away called back to say she had found a cat matching Sgt Podge's description. Ms Bullard collected him but within days he vanished again. She rang the elderly woman to find Sgt Podge was back outside her home.

She said a routine has now become established, where each morning she takes her son to school before driving to collect Sgt Podge from the pavement between 0800 and 0815 GMT.

It is thought Sgt Podge walks across Meyrick Park Golf Course every night to reach his destination. Ms Bullard said: "If it's raining he may be in the bush but he comes running if I clap my hands." All she has to do is open the car passenger door from the inside for Sgt Podge to jump in.

Wandering the streets

Ms Bullard also makes the trip at weekends and during school holidays - when her son is having a lie in. She does not know why, after 12 years, Sgt Podge has begun the routine but explained that another woman who lived nearby used to feed him sardines, and that he may be on the look-out for more treats.

"As long as you know where they are you don't mind as a cat owner," Ms Bullard said. "I know where to collect him - as long as he's not wandering the streets."

Back at home, Sgt Podge has breakfast before going to sleep by a warm radiator.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    see pictures and a video here

Please do watch the video. Sgt Podge is a rescue as it seems are the other cats she has.

Freedom & AmberLee, and anyone else who couldn't see it, I put the video on PB for you, the first few seconds are bad but after that I think it's watchable.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 11-14-2007 at 12:43 PM.

What a beautiful, fluffy boy! I don't know if I would have what it takes to let my cat roam like that but apparently he's been doing it for 10 years, so it works for them. Good story, thanx!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I can't get the vid to work

What a great story! I wonder if there is another home which they have adopted a "stray cat," who stays there at night and goes out each morning? Time will tell, if he starts to get "pudgy."

Aren't cats amazing!

What a absolutely adoreable story! He looks like he loves to ride in the car... Man! Wish mine did! He is such a handsome boy too.. LOVELY story, thank you for sharing it with it..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Thats Truly An Amzing Story And Thats A Rare Cat Who Can Count On A Care Ride Every Day. We Used To Have A Cat George Who Most Days Could Be Found At The Corner Of Our Street Waiting For Us To Come Home.
    That Story Brings Back Memories Of George Going With Me To The Small Grocery Story Where I Would Buy Him A Few Slices Of Beef Or Ham. Back Then The Meat Was 85 Cents A Pound Or So, And People Often Would Buy A Quarters Worth For Lunches.
    I Was Trained Well Even Then.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I can't get the video to work this morning, either. But it's a fascinating story.

Cats!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

What a fun story. I imagine there is a car that picks him up each evening and ferries him to his other home. A cat that spoiled would never WALK across the golf course....

Reminds me of a cat that lived in the villas where we stayed with Barbara and Siegmar in Tuscany.

This cat came by every morning..."Oh! I am so hungry. May I have a small bite of your breakfast? I would be every so grateful. And perhaps you would honor me with a tiny scratch behind my ears?"

And we later learned....the cat then sauntered to the next apartment..."Good morning! I am so hungry. May I have a meager little corner of your breakfast? And just a quick pat of my head?"

And so on and so on....

What a clever cat and a well trained owner! It reminds of the story of the cat who took a busride every day. Also in England.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I love it! And he rides home every morning on a heated seat. What a smart boy.

Wow what a unique thing to happen. I bet there is someone's house he goes to at night and then he goes back to his original home in the morning. He sure isn't skinny or anything lol.

And he's a very pretty cat. I think this story was really cute!

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

SADLY ITS NOT COMING UP HERE AND SCRAPPY 2S GOT HIS EYES FIXED ON THE PRIZE!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Oh Scrappy 2 sweetheart - please don't be thinking about hitching a ride anywhere - you have it made right where you are!

What a lovely story. This kitty sounds like quite a character.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you for going the extra mile, Chris, I LOVED the video.

And Sgt. Podge enjoying his heated seat ... delightful!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

What a cute story and he sure is a gorgeous boy.