View Poll Results: What would YOU do if you found someone's debit card,acct.activated in ATM

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turn the card into the bank

87 97.75%
  • Take out a little something for your troubles THEN turn it into the bank

0 0%
  • Don't turn the card in and go on a mad shopping spree

2 2.25%
  • Empty the account then turn it into the bank

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So close, yet SOOOOOOOOO far away...

So close, yet SOOOOOOOOO far away...

There's a place for me at the right hand of God!!

I went to the bank drive-up ATM to check my balance this morning. When I looked at screen, it was asking me if I wanted another transaction. I hadn't even put my card in yet!!

It turns out someone drove off and left their debit card in the machine. I took it out, did MY business and then went into the bank and turned the card in. The receipt showed she had over $1,000 in her account.

I'm friends with the bank President and immediately went to her. She was shocked. I could've EASILY wiped out the entire account. Fortunately, my parents raised me well. There was a $20 bill in the machine as well. Andrea said they'll cut the card up (it's required) and if no one claims the money it'll go into a general ledger account.

I felt great!! I know that if it were MY card, I'd want it returned untouched. This lady was quite lucky because that particular bank is in a bad section of New Haven.

I posted a poll cuz I want to find out what you all think. Be honest now. It's anonymous.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I would definately return it if I could. And if I couldn't find out who it belonged to, I would immediately turn it into the bank. Basically, I would do what I would want someone else to do if they found my card.

Infact, a similar thing happened about half a year ago. My mum & I pulled up to the atm while someone was driving away. We noticed he had left his card so we followed him. The poor guy probably thought he was being stalked. (lol) Luckily he turned in at Burger King(less than half a mile from the bank), and we caught him there. Turns out it was an elderly guy who was getting forgetful.. who was also very appreciative of us.
    It felt great to see someone so thankful.
    Last edited by Chilli; 11-14-2007 at 07:21 PM.

This has happened to me before & I did take it inside to the bank
    manager. There was no cash, but the transaction was still open. I'd
    never be able to live with myself if I used it myself.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'd never be able to live with myself if I used it myself.
    Me either!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I have not experienced that with an ATM card, but twice in the past week, the person ahead of me in a line has left the cash register and left their bag behind. One I was not able to catch in the parking lot - I couldn't find them - but the other woman was starting to drive away and drove right past me, as I yelled "Lady! Hey, Lady!" and waved her bag of stuff. She quickly braked, and said "Oh, thank you! I would have been all the way home before I realized it! Thank you!" and I did go back inside to let the cashier know I had caught her.

Bank security is pretty good, these days, and had you decided to take the $20 and clean out the bank account, as well as put your ATM card in the machine, afterward, they would have known, pretty quickly, anyway. And they would probably have a lovely picture of you, too, since there are security camera that take pictures of every person who transacts business at ATM machines.

Good for you, Donna. You did the right thing, as I expected you would, before I even read your post.

Logan

I would turn it in, in a heartbeat. I would HOPE if I left mine, that someone would turn mine in also.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

This reminds me of somethig that happened to me......

1 block from my house I found lying in the street a driver's license and a credit card....same name. I used the address on the driver's license to mail them annonymously back home. I was actually AFRAID to identify myself as the finder fearing that if harm had come to this man (resulting in his cards being on the ground) that I would have been the PRIME SUSPECT!!

I would have turned the card in, but I might have kept the $20 in the dispensor .

I found a purse with money, cards and everything you can imagine blowing in the wind about 8 years ago. Apperently this woman had put her purse on top of the car and driven away. I grabbed it all up, all the money,(over $200.00) and all the other itmes and drove it to the police station which was down the street.

Several years later I did the same thing and my daughters school mate brought my purse back. One good deed became two. Karma a wonderful thing.

[QUOTE=Chilli] We noticed he had left his car so we followed him. QUOTE]

I HAD to chuckle at myself on this one...I actually thought "Wow...forgot his car? That IS forgetful! Took a second to realize my braindead state after a long day..no offense Chilli..

I'd turn it in and maybe keep the $20. I know with my luck, they'd catch me before my back was turned to the machine!

Couldn't the BANK have done better ?

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom

It turns out someone drove off and left their debit card in the machine.
    There was a $20 bill in the machine as well.

The Bank said they'll cut the card up (it's required)
    and if no one claims the money,
    it'll go into a general ledger account.
    WHAT!???

I can't beleive The Bank couldn't "locate" the Card-Holder IMMEDIATELY;
    review the transaction to verify "cash" had been paid out;
    and GIVE BACK the $20.00 ...

All without any need for the "owner" to have to "File a Claim"!

"It'll go into a general ledger account ..." is The Bank saying THEY are going to
    "put the money into the BANK's pocket!"

I'd be finding a NEW Bank - one with some ethics.

YOU certainly get a Gold Star to wear proudly!

I would've returned the card and money to the bank because I if this ever happens to me I would hope for the same.

Most definitely would turn it into the bank!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

yes

Donna, as financially challenged as I am I would definitely turn the card and the money to the bank. It's someone else's money and I feel I don't have a right to it.

This happened to me before. I pullled up to the drive-thru ATM and it was beeping (it does that if you leave your card in there) and there was the card sticking out of the little card slot. I took it out did my business and then took the card into the bank. Got a very small thank-you and left. I would want mine returned as well, but given there is not much money in there it wouldn't be worthwhile to steal any of it.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant