Thread: Techie Question

Techie Question

When someone in another apartment is using (stealing) your wireless Internet connection at the same time as you, does it slow down your connection?

Yes, it can slow it to a crawl.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Passwords

You need to secure your connection. Contact your provider and get a password for your service! Many people forget this step.

I share my connection with my neighbor and I have never seen a difference in the speed. My guess is that it would take a few people connecting to slow it down so that you would notice.

I am not an expert on this topic but do have experience in this area...up close and personal.

My neighbors love me for allowing them this connection! I pay enough for it.

I will confess that if a new tenant moves in, I will not offer it to them. I like the sweet couple living downstairs right now. They are children of friends' of mine. Almost like family.

Well, technically they are not stealing your connection because you never did secure your connection. If you wish to secure your connection, enable WEP encrypton and put a password on your network. If they break that, then they are truly stealing. A password from your isp is not required, not in this situation.

I spent almost an hour on the phone with tech support when I set up my router. When I was finished, it was password protected so that no one could access it. I haven't a clue how to do it; that is what the free support is for!

It could slow down your connection. It could show you accessing sites you would prefer not to be connect with. Set up your password!

ok, thx!

The funny thing is I don't even use the wireless anymore, I got rid of the laptop. LOL

There was a thing on TV about this. People drive around looking for unsecured wireless connections to download illegal stuff through through someone elses router and it is the router owner who gets in trouble and has to pay the fines. It is YOUR router and YOU must secure it or you are responsiable.. That is what they said.

My neighbor bought one to hook up to my computer and we had it set where only he could use it. You go into your computer to do it but I forgot how. There should be instructions in the manual that came with it that'll tell you how to secure it.

The more people who tie into your connection, the slower your connection will work.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by jackie
    ok, thx!

The funny thing is I don't even use the wireless anymore, I got rid of the laptop. LOL
    In that case you can disable the wireless connection function from your router. No way anyone can steal your connection then.

thanks k9krazee for the signature!