2 2.74%
  • In

61 83.56%
  • Backyard

1 1.37%
  • Other

9 12.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are your cats indoor or outdoor?

Are your cats indoor or outdoor?

I don't agree with cats going outside and was wondering if any pter's cats are outside cats.
    Mine have to option to go out in the back yard when ever they want but it's animal proof, nothing can come in or out.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Indoor Only.. Thats the safest way..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I answered other. The boys, all 4 of them, can go out. The girls are indoor only.

When we got Reese, our oldest girl, we had just put the indoor-only rule into effect. However, Duffy was then 4 and used to going out, so we let him continue. The other boys arrived after Reese; all of them strays; all have issues with going outdoors. One of them, Red, is neurotic. We think he goes out on the off chance his original owner might show up. Of course, he has been with us for 4 years now.

They are all in every night, and pretty much all day in the winter. Traffic is not an issue - we are at the end of a dead-end, private, dirt road. No one drives down this far - except us. And if they do hear a car, the cats run and hide.

I voted other. The two cat's can go out whenever they want. But I have knoticed that since they are getting older, they don't like to go out as much. Which I prefer.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Mine are indoor only. After Ripley was shot in the leg with an arrow when we first moved here almost 13 years ago I decided no outdoor cats ever.

From Decker with Love

Growing up we were not allowed to have any pets in the house. Of course that changed when my sister started bringing home her dogs.
    But we had cats that were indoor/outdoor, there were no litter boxes in the house.
    So when I got Taz I decided he was going to be an indoor only cat. I didn't want to lose another cat to being hit by a car or just disappear and I never know what happens to them.
    So Taz is the oldest cat I've ever had (12). And I will do the same with any other cats I get in the future too.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Cassie is strictly an inside gal. If I carry her, she will go out on the balcony, but that's it. My fur-nephew Milo is allowed on the screened-in porch, but he can't go all the way outside without his leash on. He likes the porch because he can see, hear and smell everything that's happening outside. He's not too keen on the leash concept though. Same thing with my best friend and her cat. Outdoors on the balcony only; for the yard at their summer home, she must have her leash on.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

One of each. Striker is indoor, Missy is backyard only, and Sassy is indoor/outdoor, since there is no way to keep him inside. I've tried. Sassy has lots of street smarts, so I no longer worry about him. And Missy does not leave her own yard. I'd like to have all-indoor cats, but I don't like to keep them locked up against their wills either.
    Gin

Gosh this thread keeps getting brought up alot on this site, anyhow my cats are indoor/outdoor, 95 per cent of cats in NZ are all, i am not saying i totally agree with it, and after being on PT i have realised indoor with an outdoor protected area would be ideal, and what is on my wish list, but it is neither financially viable or practical where i live at the moment, i keep my cats strictly indoor at night times, and two of my cats practically live indoors during the day anyway.

I am at home all day to supervise the cats as much as humanely possible, i know it is not ideal and i do fear for them at times,many times, but i do my best to ensure their safety, i had looked into cat fencing some of my property but it was way out of my reach financially and i also needed my neighbours consent, and i did approach her but she was not too keen because it does not look that great,and even a small part of the section could not be fenced off, it just was impossible to do.

In nz they would think you totally nuts if you kept your cat indoors, and when i say i keep them in at night they still think i am a bit weird, but i donot care, they are the ones who need educating IMO.

However i do have to respectfully disagree with the average life span of an outdoor cat being only 2 years, mine are 12,8,6 and approx 4, the eight and Four year old living a dangerous existence before i adopted them,and i know many nz cats that are well into their senior years of 16 and more.
    Last edited by carole; 11-02-2007 at 11:29 PM.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

In. No fleas, disease, traffic, dogs, catfights, raccoon/porcupine/opossum fights, thieves, or crazies. Just safe food that doesn't bite or rot, clean water, toys, catnip, cuddles, and comfy places to snooze!

Love, Columbine

Mine are indoor, but they have a large outdoor enclosure that is escape proof, dog proof, predator proof ect. Boots and Felicia use the enclosure the most. Puff and Ivy won't go in it at all. The others go out occasionally.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Oreo is indoor/outdoor. He's allowed inside if someone's home I answered other. Nothing to worry about seeing he's been an out door cat for 9 years

4 are indoor only.

4 go out in the backyard, which is fenced in, only IF we are out watching them. This summmer, we've been so busy with all the dogs that the cats only got outside maybe 6 or 7 times.

We have coyotes in the neighborhood, along with all the other things columbine mentioned. Just in 2007, 15 cats and 4 dogs that I know of have gone missing, we think to the coyotoes. It's Nature. The coyotes were here first, so we have to live WITH them. Some people want them moved or even shot, but I disagree with that. They ARE gorgeous to see.

I also believe cats should be indoor only.

I get SO irritated when I look on craigslist and someone hasn't seen their outdoor cat for 3 or 4 days. What did they expect to happen? Geesh.

My boys are indoor only, but do have the option of going out on the balcony. They enjoy laying in the fresh air, sunbathing and watching the birds. So I put other, since my cats' only outdoor space is my balcony.

• AMADEUS • AUGUSTUS • SEBASTIAN • THEODORE •

COMPLETELY INDOORS AS TOO MANY BAD THINGS HAVE HAPENED TO THE PORCH CATS FOR ME TO TAKE A CHANCE THAT THE LESS STREET SAVY LUCKY FOUND CATS WOULD DO ALL THAT WELL OUTSIDE.

A NEW POUNCER ROCCALNO, SORRY ITS DARK BUT SHES SHY AND SKITTISH AS ALL GET OUT.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS