View Poll Results: Can a dog be made more playful after age 2?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Keep introducing toys and demo'ing them. She's smart and will pick it up.

4 17.39%
  • No. Some dogs are playful and some aren't. Can't change her.

8 34.78%
  • No. Play isn't important for some dogs. It's enough that she's happy and secure now.

5 21.74%
  • ??? Who knows? It doesn't hurt to try.

9 39.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice request: can a dog be made more playful?

Advice request: can a dog be made more playful?

Hi, many of you here don't know me, I usually post in Cat General. I have a question on behalf of my parents (Mom's in her early 70s, Dad's in his early 80s) and their dog -- an adorable black and white Border Collie, named Mickie. We got Mickie from a shelter about a year ago, she is now a little over 2 years old. At first we were more caught up in the recognition that she had been abused before she came into our homes. She's a lot more secure now, and belatedly we've noticed that she doesn't play. She will patiently watch as we roll balls past her and looks quizzically at us as we dangle doggie toys in front of her... delicately pushes them out of her bed if we force them upon her. Is this normal for a Border Collie? Or for formerly abused dogs? She is a quiet, loveable, patient dog. Do dogs NEED to play?

She seems happy enough otherwise, and we love to go for walks with her, but are concerned she's missing fun from her life. What can we do to make her more playful or is this an unreasonable goal now?

PS -- she seems puzzled by my cats, but they coexist pleasantly. Could they be inhibiting her?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Honestly, I don't have an answer for your question. I'm just eager to hear answers.

Ethan, one of our dogs, sounds alot like Miss Mickie. He came from an abusive home. We've had him for 2(maybe 3?) years now, and I've never seen him truely play. He's picked up a toy everynow and then, but the only time he does it is to keep it away from the other dogs...
    I've tried numerous times, and I still try, to get him to play with toys. He doesn't seem amused at all and just lays on his dog bed, trying his best to annoying the pesky human. =D
    He would much rather lay around and sleep than to play around.

Who knows? Maybe its because he never learned that it was okay to play when he was little because he was in abusive care. Or it might be because he never had toys to play with when he was a puppy.

Anyhow, I'm eager to hear other views on this subject!

My casey is not very playful but Bubba has brought her out of her shell, she gets playful at the dog park too but other than that she is pretty happy to just sit around, she has sort of spoiled me for mellow dogs, your parents should feel blessed.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

You can improve her outlook regarding play. The easiest way is to have another dog around her doing those things.

The rescue or which I foster pulls dogs from puppy mills. These dogs are up to 8 years old and haven't a clue how to act, or react, in normal "doggie" situations. The rescue requires that anyone fostering one of the puppy mill dogs already have a socialized dog in the home. the rescue dog will emulate the behaviour about him or her.

Maybe a play group, doggie day care, or a dog park will help her to see what dogs do with toys. Or you can get down and demonstrate!

I voted wouldn't hurt to try...

I wouldn't necessarily say dogs 'need' to play...Huney doesn't. She's more happy to be out of the way of the play and has never played with toys at all.
    We've tried and she just doesn't seem to care for them.

Now every once in a while if Bon and Roxey are running around and playing in the yard she'll run after them for a few seconds, then turn and walk away Guess she only needs a few seconds of play

I think if she's happy that's all that counts

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

this is in no way typcial of BCs, but if she is happy otherwise, then I see no reason to push it. some of my dogs love to play, some just aint interested, but that doesnt make their lives any less fufilled
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Thank you all for your insights.

Mickie does seem to be a happy girl these days, and we have congratulated ourselves on what a sweet, happy, friendly girl we share our home with. And, as we are not the youngest folks around, we are also pleased that she has a quiet disposition. I tease sometimes that she's a reincarnated cat: she sleeps about 14 hours a day, enjoys napping with any of us indulging ourselves, and is very happy to sit beside any of us and getting scritchies.

There are few dogs in our immediate circle of friends: I'll have to think about ways to arrange play dates for our sweet girl. And, of course, we'll continue to demonstrate doggie toys for her.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

absolutely - but it also depends on the dog.
    BC's are very intelligent so I'm sure she'd pick it up.
    you might try emailing a greyhound rescue group or finding a greyhound board. The dogs that come off the track are so used to being in cage and not used to toys (and many many other things) it just takes patience and persistence.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

My dog Gracie is just like that. She doesn't play and probably never will. She will however steal one of Lucy's toys just to spite her. lol She was also and abused shelter rescue and is very timid. Perhaps you could do some agility with her or just some training just to keep her mind active and happy?

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

Most greys don't play with toys, in my experience. When they're excited and they're doing their "Oh-my-gosh-Mom-is-home!" dance, they'll maybe pick up a few toys and toss them in the air. But after a few minutes, they'll pass out on the couch.

So, no, some dogs just don't play and it's just another aspect of what makes our dogs such unique individuals. However, BCs are, on the whole, very intelligent and active creatures. To be honest, it concerns me to hear a 2-year-old BC sleeping 14 hours a day. Is she totally healthy (how's her weight)? Also, how are you getting her to play? Since watching first-time dog owners trying to elicit play with their dogs, I've come to realize what a language barrier there is between us and the canines

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    ... So, no, some dogs just don't play and it's just another aspect of what makes our dogs such unique individuals. However, BCs are, on the whole, very intelligent and active creatures. To be honest, it concerns me to hear a 2-year-old BC sleeping 14 hours a day. Is she totally healthy (how's her weight)? Also, how are you getting her to play? Since watching first-time dog owners trying to elicit play with their dogs, I've come to realize what a language barrier there is between us and the canines
    >However, BCs are, on the whole, very intelligent and active creatures.
    She does seem bright, although I can't think of an example at the moment.

>To be honest, it concerns me to hear a 2-year-old BC sleeping 14 hours a day. Is she totally healthy (how's her weight)?
    We were worried at first, but her vet says she's fine. When WE are healthy and take her walking daily (1 - 3 miles/day) her body shape is svelte. When we get sick and don't walk as much she tubs up a bit and gets tired when we first start up walking again. (Usually we restart our walking program at ~ 1/4 to 1/2 a mile and build up day by day.)

Right now I'm still recuperating from bronchitis and she's at the tubby end of her range. Healthy, she's about 45 pounds. I'm guessing she's 48 pounds or so now?

>Also, how are you getting her to play? Since watching first-time dog owners trying to elicit play with their dogs, I've come to realize what a language barrier there is between us and the canines.

We've bought her some toys and balls. We usually display them for her/waggle them to get her attention. Place them in procemity to her. Sometimes toss them for her (and eventually got to retrieving them when she ignored them). Recently my mother (the person who seems to be the axis on whom Mickie's world revolves), my niece (her favorite teenager in the world) and I (she's very fond of me) have tried tossing or rolling a ball from one to another and encouraging her to join us. She seems fascinated, but baffled. Can you suggest more effective ways of introducing play to her? I'm fairly new to dogs. Typically the family dogs doted on our dad, and he rather monopolized their time. Uh, not in a mean way, it just worked out that way.

We've found squeaking squeeky toys for her just scares her.

Maybe they haven't shown her a toy she really likes...try introducing her to a variety of toys. Tennis balls, stuffies, rope toys ect., i'm sure you will find something she enjoys.

But with that said..Some dogs just don't like toys..my rainbow bridge boy wouldn't and didn't touch a toy the 9 years I had him.

Quote Originally Posted by Danegirl2208
    ...Tennis balls, stuffies, rope toys ect., i'm sure you will find something she enjoys. ...

Hmmm, we've mainly tried balls, tennis balls, and squeaky toys. I don't think we've tried stuffies or rope toys. Thanks for the suggestion.

Play is learned behavior. If she didn't learn to play from her littermates and Mom, it, like all other behaviors, is harder to pick up later!

I have several dogs who were working sled dogs from the time they were young puppies. None of them knew how to play when they arrived here. Most of them have figured it out over a number of years, but none of them ever seem to fully understand the joys of Husky wrestling. They prefer the calmer, more solitary games!

She sounds like a lovely companion! I bet, if she is eager to please you, she would excel at something like agility or Rally obedience.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    ... She sounds like a lovely companion! I bet, if she is eager to please you, she would excel at something like agility or Rally obedience.

Yes, we think we are VERY lucky to have her. She fits into our quiet lifestyle so beautifully.

Ummm, sorry to ask a majorly basic question, but if I were to start attempting to train her in agility, where is the best place to start? As she is 2 years and a month or two old... is this too late to start?