Thread: thyroid medication

thyroid medication

Hi, everyone . . . I am brand new here. Have read some notes and found some valuable info. My question . . .

My housemate has a golden retriever that the vet is recommending thyroid medication for weight loss . . . he is about 15 lbs overweight with a borderline thyroid test. He eats right and we walk him, let him swim and play fetch with him, but he doesn't lose weight. He is about 7 yrs old (a rescue) so there is concern about arthritis and hip joints in goldens.

She has heard horror stories of dogs on thyroid medication . . . and is so reluctant to do it. Yet also wanting to do what is best for Tucker in the long run as far as his joints, etc.

Do any of you have experiences with this that would help her with her decision?

Thanks so much!

Namaste,
    Donna in Central IL

Hello and welcome to Pet Talk!

Thyroid disease is very common in golden retrievers. My 7-year-old golden was diagnosed with it about a year and a half ago and has been on thyroid medication since then (levothyroxine). I'm puzzled that you have heard so much negative about it as I never have and certainly haven't experienced anything bad with my boy Tommy. His coat came back nice and thick (the reason I had the test done was because his coat seemed to be thinning and more brittle) and he also lost weight and really trimmed up, although I also changed his diet around the same time to a grain-free diet so I'm not sure if it was just the thyroid med or not.

Again I haven't spoken with anyone who has mentioned any horror stories, nor have I seen any posts about problems with it here. For my own experience, I haven't noticed any negative effects from it. I hope this helps!
    Last edited by K9soul; 10-02-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: deleted extra word
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I haven't had any of my own animals on thyroid medication, but I work in a vet clinic and I have seen many animals who use thyroid medication over a period of time. My experience has been that as long as the owner gives the drugs as prescribed and keeps a close eye on their pet at least until the drug is being maintained at a therapeutic level, it's easy to spot complications before they become a problem.

Periodic blood testing once therapeutic levels have been achieved helps the doctor keep track of any long-term effects the drug might be having, although I must have missed the horror stories your friend has heard, all I've heard of are very occasional and not terribly severe immediate reactions to the drug, the drug not alleviating signs of hypothyroidism, or reactions because the dog got an overdose.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Thank you!

Thanks so much for the reassuring words! We did start Tucker on the thyroid medication this morning. I have read thyroid imbalance can contribute to the itching. We are hoping that perhaps it will help that too . . . although that is much better with the different dog food. We are trying the River Ranch dog food (fish and chips) because he has wheat sensitivities, and seems to do much better on it than what we gave him previously.

We will be very careful to give it to him appropriately and have him monitored as you mentioned, Cathy. I believe that is the key to any medication that one takes. Again, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. We always want the best for our furry companions!

Namaste', Donna

I have multiple dogs on thyroid meds. Never seen one negative side effect in any of them.

The thyroid affects a vast range of things in the body. All of my dogs had different initial symptoms, Earle was grouchy and snappy, Preacher was lethargic and always cold, Chum collapsed at random intervals! All have the same condition, hypothyroidism. I've got to the point that whenever I take a dog in for just about anything, I ask for a thyroid panel too!